4x4 for towing

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Have to replace my 2.8 auto pajero - it's finished. Didn't get driven while I was ill, and RATS finished off the electrics!

I'd love to find another just like it - but working - but they seem to be few and far between - and I just don't have the time to travel very far. So trying to look at other cars and would appreciate ideas.

I want: swb and automatic - that can tow an IW 511 and two big horses - and NOT die on a hill! The Paj you can move right down when needed - and great tyres. But I also want something that doesn't swallow diesel at an excessive rate - and is not expensive. Have been thinking about a Kia Sorento - a bit less engine - will it do the job? Other ideas/experience much appreciated.

Spottyappy

Visit site
I have a discovery 3. Did a lot of research before I brought it, as needed to tow an Equitrek show treka with 2 big horses.
It's the best tow vehicle I have had, you don't notice you are towing, even up hill.
It does around 32mpg round town, and 26 when towing.
It is pricey when things go wrong,is my only complaint.

PercyMum

Visit site
I think towing that weight you'd be looking at a Discovery tbh. A Sorrento may do the job but I think you'd be at the top of its pulling capacity whereas you'd be safely within with a Landrover. Daihatsu Fourtraks are awesome little tow beasts but not sure they come in auto and are a bit hard to get hold of now as they are older and I think people hang onto them as they are so reliable!!

Pedantic

Visit site
Korean spares can be horrendous, £435.00 for one wheel bearing, over £495.00 for one bottom wishbone, when you need both for an mot it gets a bit teeth sucking time, Europarts, "any part for any car" yea as long as it wasn't my Ssangyong, so before buying I would just check out a few spares prices first.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-parts?gclid=CO-flLiWjNACFVQ_Gwod_ZoG1Q

I have settled for a Merc Mclas auto, bigger engine and more BHP and tows like stink, I reckon it does more to the gallon than the Ssangyong, besides, I can buy a fair amount of diesel for the price of a few Ssangyong spares.

Last edited:

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I have towed for the last 18 years wuth my trusty LandCruiser and it has been BRILLIANT.
But, just had to sell it as head gasket wws going, I now have a Discovery 3 and have to say I think it is also fantastic.

Janovich

Visit site
What you have written Janet, i could have written myself!! I too had a Shogun and absolutely loved it,...until it packed up on me one day and was sent to the the car heaven in the sky..

I wanted to find myself another Shogun (and yes,...mine was SWB and Auto) and then i came across a Kia Sorento XT ! It had very low mileage on the clock for it's age, was in absolutely mint condition and had been used as a 'second car' for towing a caravan around Europe. The ONLY thing that had me doubting it was the fact it was manual and as i'd been so used to my auto for so many years, i was deliberating as to whether i wanted to go ahead and test drive it, as everything else on this car was perfect.

I did my homework and perused the Kia Owner's Forum and read up on this car and it's qualities and it's performance towing (it will tow up to 3 Ton)...and well,...what can i say.... I ended up buying the car last year and I'm so glad i did. It's a smashing car, tows like a dream, handles the road (on and off) extremely well and isn't heavy on diesel either. It's pretty plush inside too with leather seats (and heated ones too which are fantastic in the colder months), etc,...

I made the right decision and although i do miss my Shogun now and again, I'm so glad i bought this car.

Just a little bit of something from one who's pretty much been where you are now as i understand when you like a car for it's qualitites so much, it's quite hard to change alliegence to another !

Last edited:

Janovich

Visit site
So far (and i've had the car 18 months and it's 10 years old)...it's flown through it's services and MOT's and i've not had to fork out for anything...but the Kia service seems to be right up there with everyone else as i did take it to the local Kia Dealers to have it checked out and nothing was too much trouble. I even came away with a bottle of fuel tank cleaner given FOC and they said to me 'next time you fill up, just pour all of this bottle in and it will clean your fuel system through. I came away a happy chap. :)

I'm happy that the dealership isn't too far away if i ever needed them for anything.

lottiepony

Visit site
I have towed for the last 18 years wuth my trusty LandCruiser and it has been BRILLIANT.
But, just had to sell it as head gasket wws going, I now have a Discovery 3 and have to say I think it is also fantastic.

Second the Land Cruisers. Very lucky as I pinch mumseys when I go out (means I can run a cheap little Toyota Yaris daily lol) tows like a dream, drive in real comfort and is auto as well. Although interestingly found out the other day that the model she's got, the Amazon, are no longer in manufacture and are highly desirable and sought after, only as a friend was looking for one, she ended up with a brand new shogun got an amazing deal as the salesman needed to meet his monthly target lol!

turnbuckle

Visit site
Just an idea....if the rest of the Pajero is sound, it may be worth getting an auto electrician to come out and quote for restoring the RATTAGE.

Even if it's (say) £1500 and that gets you another year or two.......

Land-cruisers have a rep hard to beat, but there's always an exception which proves the rule. Roughly what sort of budget have you?

And it may be worth looking at a petrol one if you run another car for everyday......will drink fuel but cheap as chips for that reason.

PercyMum

Visit site
The Discovery seems to be right out of my budget, sadly. The warning about Koream parts - mmm - I've been waiting for parts for my TYM tractor for a month now! SURELY the spare parts for the Kia is better organised?

TBF, my friend has a Sorrento and she loves it but only tows 1 horse and a 505 with it. You can pick up a tidy Disco 2 auto for way under £4k; just make sure its got FSH. Milegae doesn't matter as long as its been maintained well. You'd be surprised what you can get for your money. We are currently looking for another Disco and are incredibly picky with wanting a certain colour, spec etc and we aren't finding it hard to locate ones that fit the bill.

Janovich

Visit site
The older versions of the Kia Sorento have more towing capability than their newer brothers...and they're also cheaper to tax if you can find one on an 06 plate or before.

tristar

Visit site
i looked at all sorts, and ended up with a pajero sport, its economical nice to drive, i did`nt find they were too rare, and they have they the towing capacity i wanted, overall i was glad i did`nt get anything else.

it is an effort to go out and get one, but you`ve already said its what you want, short term effort long term gain.

l

Pocketr@cket

Visit site
I'm now selling a swb pajero as replaced it with a Kia Sorento as needs heated seats for winter and something that was going to be my main car. I was put off the discoverys due to repair costs. Our other option was a Nissan Pathfinder.

Northern Hare

Visit site
We've got an Mercedes ML 4x4 and it's fantastic at towing - and it's automatic. Tbh it's not too bad on the diesel. I think it tows up to 3t but I only tow a IWT 505 and one horse so there's plenty of spare capacity.

Annagain

Visit site
Is there any particular reason for wanting an auto? I find a manual much better at controlling speed with engine braking and at ensuring enough power to go up hills etc. I find autos always want to change half way up and then struggle.

That would open you up to a Defender which offers everything else you're after and is probably the best tow car out there - especially if you're only using it to tow.

Antw23uk

Visit site
The older versions of the Kia Sorento have more towing capability than their newer brothers...and they're also cheaper to tax if you can find one on an 06 plate or before.

Thanks for the information and opinion, very much appreciated. They seem to fall into my budget as im now thinking back to towing vehicle and trailer rather than 3.5 t box which seem to be like chickens teeth!

Janovich

Visit site
Thanks for the information and opinion, very much appreciated. They seem to fall into my budget as im now thinking back to towing vehicle and trailer rather than 3.5 t box which seem to be like chickens teeth!

You are very welcome :). It was a bonus in disguise really when i was looking at the car i have now and finding out that because it was on an 06 plate, my tax fell on the 'cusp' of when they upped the payments that year, so that was a bonus indeed!

KautoStar1

Visit site
Ive towed for the last 3 years with a Kia Sportage. Just one horse and a 505 IW, so no more than 2 tonne. But its been a very reliable car and tows really well, so if the Sorento is as good you will be fine. I believe the current Sorento's tow 2.8 tonne, the older versions plus 3 tonne.
And before that I had a Freelander 2 which I loved.

Pedantic

Visit site
We've got an Mercedes ML 4x4 and it's fantastic at towing - and it's automatic. Tbh it's not too bad on the diesel. I think it tows up to 3t but I only tow a IWT 505 and one horse so there's plenty of spare capacity.

Yea mine seems to do really well for a V6, plus I tend to hoof it a bit as it's soooooo quick, maybe the 7 speed auto box has something to do with it.

JillA

Visit site
I went through a similar process last year, looking for a vehicle which could tow up to 3 tonnes. They don't seem to make many utility vehicles like the Trooper any more, unless it is the big long crew cab things - and I found parking the Trooper on the supermarket car park tough enough. Jeep seems to be the only one, and the Sorento seemed to be really hard to find, according to the local dealership. The Ssangyong Rexton had all I wanted and more - comfortable car, selectable 4wd, downhill restraint, 2.2ltr engine so not overly thirsty, and automatic to boot. Depends on your budget Janet but Shukers do them.
Discoveries were in the frame until I found out the ones I could afford would cost me £550 p.a. on road tax! £10 a week before you even go on a road!!

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
I have put my jeep through the mill and it has been a really good and reliable car. Mine was a 3.7L so towed my Bateson with big horses in easily. Mine was an automatic.

However, I would double check about tow bars as there was a ridiculous situation where Jeep suddenly declared tow bars unusable and did not offer any replacement or suggestions It was forums like this which had to research and find a solution. I never EVER went near a jeep garage for mine. It has gone to a local garage and been run heavily but Jeep parts can be expensive. The tow bar didn't bother me as I have sold my trailer but worth checking this out.

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
I have a discovery 3. Did a lot of research before I brought it, as needed to tow an Equitrek show treka with 2 big horses.
It's the best tow vehicle I have had, you don't notice you are towing, even up hill.
It does around 32mpg round town, and 26 when towing.
It is pricey when things go wrong,is my only complaint.

This^^ - my Disco is amazing and has been all over the country with 2 big horses in a 510 trailer and manages without so much of a grunt. Had it 15 years and its had a very hard life - through floods,snow, all sorts but still starts first time and has never let me down. The only down size as Spottyapp says is when they go wrong its not cheap but I have a fantastic mechanic who sources second hand parts and that keeps the price down. I love my disco - wouldn't be with out it - a true workhorse.

Asha

Visit site
I towed with a Nissan navara pick up. Never struggled with the hills, not bad on fuel either. With an added benefit of the back, great for picking up hay straw etc etc. Still got ours, never lets us down

fabbydo

Visit site
What about a Rexton? I have a Korando as I only tow one. It's great.
Hi spec. 5 year warranty and free servicing for 3 years.