4x4 road tax may go up to £400 a year!!.

rema

Visit site
Well what a suprise.on wednesdays Budget they are saying that "Gas guzzling" cars will be heavily stung on road funds.
mad.gif

Gordon Brown is expected to radically raise the tax on larger-engined cars in Wednesday's Budget.
Some reports suggest that road tax on the least fuel efficient cars will double to about £400 a year.

SSM

Visit site
We heard this too, tax due April 1st on the Disco, at 7am this morning hubby was on line renewing the tax!!!!!!!!!!

He is not a happy bunny about this increase!

apkelly01

Visit site
They are talking about doing something to the 4x4's here in Ireland as well. I'm paying €1109 (about £750) for the Tax on my 3lt Terrano which is not a diesel guzzler - quite economic actually
smile.gif

I need my jeep - for one, my last one saved my life!! If I had been in a car in the crash I had last year, I would not be here today!!

Ok I agree the petrol 4x4s are real gas guzzlers but leave the diesels alone!

evsj

Visit site
I'm just about to make a decision about what I do with my lorry i.e. change for a trailer and 4x4. I am going to be working in London soon, commuting by train so I thought instead of having my little car and a lorry, I would by an old Disco (or similar) and a decent trailer to get me and the ned around.

But according to the Government, Me having the one vehicle (4x4) is more costly to the environment than my current car and 1989 4ltr lorry! It will still be cheaper for me that having to keep both vehicles on the road but I am being stung because they can't understand the difference between some rich idiot driving a chelsea tractor (for whom 400 quid is mere spare change) and me who needs a tatty old 4x4 to transport me and the horse - to off road riding!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Dovorian

Visit site
How on earth can the Gvt generalise '4 x 4' ? Not all are gas guzzlers, there is huge variation in engine size and fuel consumption. I'm lloking a 4 at the mo in our car park - my 1.8 Freelander, a 4 litre Jeep, 2.5 diesel Discovery and a little Suzuki........... next to these I can also see 4 jags with huge engines...........

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
This really pi**es me off! Instead of taxing us that really NEED these vehicles, why can't they tax bloody air travellers (especially holiday makers!) on their plane journeys instead - they don't NEED to go abroad, they choose to. If they want to pollute the atmosphere by far more than all the 4 x 4s put together, they should be the ones to pay, not us.

sorry....................................................................

Sooty

Visit site
I presume this will be all V8 petrol cars, not necessarily all of them will be 4x4s. Tony Blair drives a Chrysler Voyager MPV which does puny mileage, certainly far less than our diesel Disco. 4x4 has become media shorthand for thirsty vehicle.

Thistle

Visit site
Thanks for the reminder, I have just renewed mine online.

I used to drive a lovely 1.8TDCi Focus estate, but because of the badly maintained roads that I need to drive on to access my house, I wrecked 4 tyres and 2 wheels over the 3 years I had it, when I bought a new one I had a Hyundai 2l diesel Tuscon 4x4, surprisingly enough I haven't broken any wheels yet.

spaniel

Visit site
I feel a major backlash coming on.

I would suggest all us 4x4 ers drove up to Downing Street to p*ss TB off but to be honest I dont think we could afford the diesel.
grin.gif

Sooty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How on earth can the Gvt generalise '4 x 4' ? Not all are gas guzzlers, there is huge variation in engine size and fuel consumption. I'm lloking a 4 at the mo in our car park - my 1.8 Freelander, a 4 litre Jeep, 2.5 diesel Discovery and a little Suzuki........... next to these I can also see 4 jags with huge engines...........

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think they have - the media uses the term because it has a visual impact and is easily identifiable. There are many desperately uneconomical cars on the roads, as we shall see on Wednesday.

rema

Visit site
Also found this on the newsite!.

The Budget's green measures fall short of those demanded by environmental lobbyists, some of whom have called for road tax to be raised to over £1,000 for polluting vehicles.

F***ing Bunny huggers.
mad.gif

airedale

Visit site
GOOD - there is usually absolutely NO need to have these vehicles for MOST people. As the average size of a household has gone down (i.e. no. of kids) the size of the cars has gone up.

Nowt wrong with kids walking to school - lots of us did that - and it helps to fight obesity as well (and possibly with schools still selling off playing fields may be the only exercise some kids get).

4x4s that are needed for a specific purpose - that's fine - but the solution should be to remove the road tax altogether and make people pay road tax on fuel - that way NO ONE can avoid paying the tax (unless they siphon fuel out of cars - and that did happen in the 70s !!). Most 4x4s needed are used for fewer miles - it's the posy posh ones that clock up 0000s of miles each year usually.

Cannot stand them - or people carriers - and tbh I think that small horseboxes give the animals a better journey than trailers anyway.

If people ditched the trailer and got a small horsebox - and tax was on fuel and not current road tax (which is merely an excuse to stack cash in gov. coffers for other things entirely unrelated to roads and transport) - then they could run a small car for everyday and just get the horsebox out for going to shows.

Its the road tax as it stands that makes the use of 4x4s for people who need them even higher - as the road tax is a big factor in not having two cars.

Watch out though - the 4x4s are going to get stung by the insurance companies as well. The current 1 to 20 classification for insurance in changing to a 1 to 50 classification - to reflect the damage that a large heavy car can CAUSE in a crash as a lot of these heavy 4x4s actally receive little damage but can cause a lot of death and injury.

So a doulbe whammy for the Jeeps and R.Rovers - goody

Sooty

Visit site
I am so sick of the spite and malice directed at anyone who doesn't 'need' a 4x4. Nobody who lives in the UK needs one - there are roads. Someone who has one to tow a trailer ( as we do) has no more right to one that someone who lives in a town and uses one to take children to school. It is personal choice. As for your theory that posy posh ones clock up thousands of miles - that would be us then, who can only afford to run the one car each. What is the problem with Jeeps and Range Rovers? The diesel engines in these return more miles to the gallon than some Mondeos. Once again, ignorance of the facts is no barrier to expression of an opinion.

claire1976

Visit site
FFS, sporty cars, vans etc use more fuel and produce more carbon emissions than a lot of 4x4's. It was mentioned only the other day on TV that its probably not our love of cars and planes that's causing damage to the environment. This is just another blatent attempt to tax people beyond their income ability. I don't drive a 'posh' 4x4 but I have a well maintained oldish disco for several reasons. I don't have to justify my use of a 4x4 but I can be damn sure I have better reasons for using it than some 'petrol head' razzing around in a deathtrap scooby guzzling more fuel than I do.
GRRRRRRRRRR.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
We are stuffed on both accounts. I have got a Disco and hubby has got a sports car. Doesn't matter how they tax us really, they will stuff us all one way or another, either up front or yet another stealth tax, everytime you move your taxed on it
frown.gif

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
Who can say someone doesnt need one! I would like to see anyone live up my rd, which is a Public Highway & not have a 4x4. It would be impossible. Still I could get the Horse & Cart out. Now that would be fun arriving at Tesco's. This b****y country drives me mad. I pay an enourmous amount in rates, yet have my own water supply, a septic tank, no street lights, no bus routes, most taxi's will not drive up the lane. Worse still a big fire engine can not get up, so in an emergency a small engine with 7 minutes of water would have to attend. Do I get a rebate do I hell.
mad.gif
I dont suppose Mr Blair will take any of this into consideration!

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
OMG! That is ridiculous.

Due to all those stupid people who buy 4x4s when they don't bloody need them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should anyone be dictated to over which vehicle they choose to buy?
mad.gif

the watcher

Visit site
'Watch out though - the 4x4s are going to get stung by the insurance companies as well. The current 1 to 20 classification for insurance in changing to a 1 to 50 classification - to reflect the damage that a large heavy car can CAUSE in a crash as a lot of these heavy 4x4s actally receive little damage but can cause a lot of death and injury'

Is that your view, or copied from somewhere else? Of course a heavier vehicle will have more impact in a collision, force equalling mass times acceleration being the formula, however I would suggest that on average heavy 4WD vehicles are driven at lower speeds - many of us are trying to eke each drop out of our fuel, or are towing, or the vehicles are simply less stable at higher speeds (mine rarely sees any speed over 50)....

... therefore travelling at lower speeds, heavier vehicles are no more damaging than a small car being driven at higher speed

Sooty

Visit site
We live up an unmade private road, full of potholes, and for the first few years we lived here managed with Vauxhall Astras and Cavaliers. It is easier in a 4x4 though! I do get annoyed when someone who lives in the country and keeps horses says they need one, but someone living in a town doesn't - it's all down to personal choice, nobody has more right than anyone else to own a certain type of car. There is enough resentment directed at 4x4 drivers without them directing it at each other! As for returns from council tax - it sounds as if we are in the same boat. Water is paid separately these days anyway, and you should get a reduction for having a septic tank - we do. I would be happy if some of ours went towards a visible police force...

Weezy

Visit site
I am obv a posh posey person as I have just changed my Jeep for a Range Rover - I will drive whatever the helll I like, if I wanted to drive a damn Hummer then I would go ahead and do it. This country, and bloody Daily Mail readers who believe all the garbage that is printed, really make my blood pressure rise
mad.gif

rema

Visit site
QR.

Alot of people on other sites are saying scrap the road tax and put more on petrol/Diesel but i cannot see how that would change alot or am i not seeing the wood for the trees??.
confused.gif

evsj

Visit site
'Rights' and 'needs' are totally different. No-one living in Chelsea 'needs' a range-rover unless they go off-roading at the weekend (having seen alot of these vehicles, I doubt it) whereas people living in relatively rural areas taking part in pursuits which take them off road or at least on badly maintained public roads and who have numerous animals (or children) and who might regularly tow trailers can justify the need.

Everyone has a right to drive the vehicle they want but it is the Government who are defining that nobody needs such vehicles by penalising anyone with a large engine in their car. As I said earlier, 400 quid (or whatever the new tax is going to be) is nothing to those who have these sort of cars because of their status. But to those who do need them, 400 quid is alot of money.

Sooty

Visit site
If the tax was put on fuel it would truly be pay-as-you-drive, which is a fair and sensible solution. Therefore, it will never happen. The more fuel you use, the more you pay.

Weezy

Visit site
In Spain there is no road tax - tax is on fuel so therefore is incredibly fair - you use more fuel, you pay more tax. You use your car once a week, you may a teeny amount of tax - everyone wins.

custard

Visit site
This makes my blood boil, there are so many people with chelsea tractors now, u know the type there's no mud on them and no tow bar on the back.

Ive got a small box which goes out once or twice a week but costs twice as much as the car to tax

I firmly believe that road tax should just go directly on the price of fuel so that you just pay for the miles you do, end of story.