4x4 Shopping help!

alainax

Visit site
I am in a bit of a pickle about what to do on the whole car situation, and could do with some advice from those who have 4x4's or know a bit about them. I posted a thread a while back about my current car and whether it would be capable of towing a horse box ( I currently use it to to my other car on a trailer - long story).

I was kindy informed that athough capable, the horse+box combination would out weigh the car therefor not advisable.

So that got me thinking. Current car is getting on a bit ( 03) and I will likely be looking for a new one soon. Practically thinking... I would be looking for something which could tow a fairly large horse box, with a fairly huge ID inside.

However... herein lies the dilema. Many of the 4x4's ive looked at so far really lack oomph! I dont want somthing that would send me to sleep while driving it(not litteraly ;) ) and struggle to pull the box.

Ive always been into cars with some power, not necisarily speed, but something that has some capabiity if and when you need it. And for the purposes of buying one that has to pull somethinig really heavy - id like it to be able to do so!

Ok I digressed... So can anyone recommend a nice powerful 4x4? What do you have that works well?

Oh... There is also the budget, ideally not over £5k, less than 100k miles, and no more than 7 years old :D :eek:

My current stats are by no means powerful, but has a teeny bit of bite if it needs it.
Weight 1436 kg
46 mpg
2184 cc
0-60 9.5 secs
136 bhp
Unbraked Towing Weight -725 kg
Braked Towing Weight -1500 kg

I was looking at a Landrover, but the stats were a bit dismal :( (unless i were to find the super sports model :p which would kill the budget)
Weight 1640 kg
MPG 32 mpg
1951 cc
0-60 mph-14.3 secs
110 bhp
Unbraked Towing Weight-750 kg
Braked Towing Weight -1800 kg

I had also liked the look of a pick up like the - Mistubishi Warrior Pick-up LWB 2.5TD (113bhp) Double Cab Warrior 4WD , but struggled to get real stats on it ( I like stats) :eek:

I know I need to be realistic and compromise somewhere along the line - but are there any makes or models you know which might fit the bill?

I have Thorntons chocolate for all those who got this far! :D

Last edited:

rascal

Visit site
I have a toyota hilux, its one of the older ones but very reliable. With horses, dogs and teenagers (hubby!) i needed something with loads of room. I much prefer it to the jeep we sold.

alainax

Visit site
I have a toyota hilux, its one of the older ones but very reliable. With horses, dogs and teenagers (hubby!) i needed something with loads of room. I much prefer it to the jeep we sold.

Ah I remember the Hilux, didnt Top Gear name it as Indestructable? :D Ill have a wee nosey at them and thier stats :eek: Thanks :)

cyclo man

Visit site
Ah I remember the Hilux, didnt Top Gear name it as Indestructable? :D Ill have a wee nosey at them and thier stats :eek: Thanks :)

I have a Jeep Cherokee CDI, tows well up to 2800kg, also we have a Toyota Amazon 4.2 diesel will tow up to 4 tons. I think you may have to adjust your budget a little to get what you want. I would recommend that you try driving a double cab before going that route, they are very lively on the back end when driven without a load in the back and have a poor turning circle so can be awkward for parking etc.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I think you can get 2004 Terranos - I've got a 2000 Nissan Terrano II SE+ and it is a BEAST! Seriously good, but by no means fashionable or attractive, but does the job superbly!

alainax

Visit site
I have a Jeep Cherokee CDI, tows well up to 2800kg, also we have a Toyota Amazon 4.2 diesel will tow up to 4 tons. I think you may have to adjust your budget a little to get what you want. I would recommend that you try driving a double cab before going that route, they are very lively on the back end when driven without a load in the back and have a poor turning circle so can be awkward for parking etc.

Thats good to know about the pick-up, wasnt even somthing I had considered. Thanks for the tip :)

ah the amazon seems a big powerfull beast! but with power comes price i see... :eek::eek:

What is the actual weight you need to tow?

Do you have a B+E licence?

Horse will be around 600-700kgs ( will need to measure more acurately though) The horse box I guess will depend on the car that I chose to tow it - although it would have to be somthing substantial enough to hold the big horse.

I dont have the B+E currently but know I will need to get it before towing these kind of weights. :)

I think you can get 2004 Terranos - I've got a 2000 Nissan Terrano II SE+ and it is a BEAST! Seriously good, but by no means fashionable or attractive, but does the job superbly!

Thanks for the tip ill go have a look :)

Last edited:

guido16

Visit site
My disco was great at towing a 510 with two heavyweights in it.

Then I got a pick up. Nissan navara. It's great but having a pick up is even better. You can put a large round bale in the back! Such a great thing when I run out and just pop to farmers to drop one in the back for me.

Can move water, posts, you name it. But, make sure you get a double cab, not a 1.5 cab, unless you plan to have midgets in the back.......they seriously have NO space. How the designer thought that full grown people could sit in the back is beyond me.

So, disco or Nissan navara. Friend has a hilux as well. All great at towing big trailers with 16.2HH + in the back.

ROG

Visit site
With such a heavy horse of 700 kgs then towing on a B licence is possible

Here is one example of legally towing on a B licence ....

Nissan X trail (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
Unladen/kerb = 1515
GVW = 2050
Towing = 2000
Max trailer plated MAM = 1450 kgs

Deduct trailer unladen weight from max trailer plated weight to get maximum load/horse weight for the trailer
Example:- Nissan (1450) minus Cheval liberte (675 appx) = load/horse 775 kgs

Adopter

Visit site
Love our Freelander 2, so comfortable on long trip and tows and will get us home through the snow!!!!!!! Can't get over all the extra's in cars today.

I have been driving a long time and had lots of different cars and 4 x 4, but this one is one of the best. We debated long and hard before going for a freelender 2, there were other options that were good buy, but decided to treat ourselves and that we would alway feel we had settled for 2nd best if we did not go for the Freelander.

alainax

Visit site
I have a Freelancder for sale, pm if interested. It's a 56 plate
Is it a big beefy one? :p:p
My disco was great at towing a 510 with two heavyweights in it.

Then I got a pick up. Nissan navara. It's great but having a pick up is even better. You can put a large round bale in the back! Such a great thing when I run out and just pop to farmers to drop one in the back for me.

Can move water, posts, you name it. But, make sure you get a double cab, not a 1.5 cab, unless you plan to have midgets in the back.......they seriously have NO space. How the designer thought that full grown people could sit in the back is beyond me.

So, disco or Nissan navara. Friend has a hilux as well. All great at towing big trailers with 16.2HH + in the back.
I had looked at the Navaras also, got a few saved on my ebay :eek: I do like the idea of a pickup,not that id really need one :p
Thanks for the info, ill have a look a the disco too :)

With such a heavy horse of 700 kgs then towing on a B licence is possible

Here is one example of legally towing on a B licence ....

Unladen/kerb = 1515
GVW = 2050
Towing = 2000

Deduct trailer unladen weight from max trailer plated weight to get maximum load/horse weight for the trailer
Example:- Nissan (1450) minus Cheval liberte (675 appx) = load/horse 775 kgs

Thats really interesting Rog, I hadnt thought about it that way around. Im not particualrly keen on the X-trail, although its a nissan I currently have and do like it.

Are there other makes and models with similar weights? I wish ebay had that as a search function lol.

I do also like the Cheval Liberte trailers.
Love our Freelander 2, so comfortable on long trip and tows and will get us home through the snow!!!!!!! Can't get over all the extra's in cars today.

I have been driving a long time and had lots of different cars and 4 x 4, but this one is one of the best. We debated long and hard before going for a freelender 2, there were other options that were good buy, but decided to treat ourselves and that we would alway feel we had settled for 2nd best if we did not go for the Freelander.

Do you mind if I ask if you went for the 1.8 or a more powerful one? :)

ROG

Visit site
Some more ideas for towing on a B only licence ......

BATESON LIGHT HORSE TRAILER
CHEVAL LIGHT HORSE TRAILER
IFOR LIGHT HORSE TRAILER

Contact trailer manufacturer to have trailer downplated if needed (free or very little cost)

Toyota Rav 4 (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
Unladen/kerb = 1425
GVW = 1785
Max towing weight = 1500
Max trailer plated MAM = 1425 kgs

Unladen/kerb = 1515
GVW = 2050
Towing = 2000

Kia Sportage (AWD) with these specifications/dimensions
Unladen/kerb = 1678
GVW = 2140
Towing = 1600
Max trailer plated MAM = 1360 kgs

FREELANDER 1 (2001 - 2005)
Unladen/kerb = 1500
GVW = 2040
Towing = 1800
Max trailer plated MAM = 1460 kgs

SUBARU FORRESTER (4X4)
Unladen/kerb = 1465 minimum
GVW = 2050 maximum
Towing = 2000

Skoda Yeti (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
Kerb = 1530
GVW = 2070
Towing capacity = 2000
Max trailer plated MAM = 1430 kgs

Suzuki vitara (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
Kerb = 1400
GVW = 1950
Towing = 1850
Max trailer plated MAM = 1400 kgs

Example:- Nissan (1450) minus IFOR HB403 (770 appx) = load/horse 680 kgs

luckyoldme

Visit site
have a look at the ford ranger.
we are onto our second one and very impressed with both of them, looking to buy our 3rd later on this year.

Cobsndogs

Visit site
This is an interesting one for me too. My Jeep is terminal, I think, - has definately been sat on the drive going nowhere since it was recovered earlier in the week !! I loved My Jeep Cherokee, and it has been really good up until now and I've had him for 8 years.
However am now looking at buying either a Hyundai Santa Fe or a Grand Cherokee.

alainax

Visit site
Some more ideas for towing on a B only licence ......

BATESON LIGHT HORSE TRAILER
CHEVAL LIGHT HORSE TRAILER
IFOR LIGHT HORSE TRAILER

Contact trailer manufacturer to have trailer downplated if needed (free or very little cost)

Toyota Rav 4 (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
Unladen/kerb = 1425
GVW = 1785
Max towing weight = 1500
Max trailer plated MAM = 1425 kgs

Unladen/kerb = 1515
GVW = 2050
Towing = 2000

Kia Sportage (AWD) with these specifications/dimensions
Unladen/kerb = 1678
GVW = 2140
Towing = 1600
Max trailer plated MAM = 1360 kgs

FREELANDER 1 (2001 - 2005)
Unladen/kerb = 1500
GVW = 2040
Towing = 1800
Max trailer plated MAM = 1460 kgs

SUBARU FORRESTER (4X4)
Unladen/kerb = 1465 minimum
GVW = 2050 maximum
Towing = 2000

Skoda Yeti (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
Kerb = 1530
GVW = 2070
Towing capacity = 2000
Max trailer plated MAM = 1430 kgs

Suzuki vitara (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
Kerb = 1400
GVW = 1950
Towing = 1850
Max trailer plated MAM = 1400 kgs

Example:- Nissan (1450) minus IFOR HB403 (770 appx) = load/horse 680 kgs

Wow super helpful post! thank you so much. Ive ebayed all of them and quite like the look of the newer Rav4's. I guess it will be a case of weighing up this option with sitting the B+E. :)

Love my isuzu trooper

I already have one box shaped car, I cant have two :p:D

You would be better off getting your horse to tow his own trailer than use a Freeloader!
lmao! he probably would as well... I think he'd prefer to pull a trailer than be in one :eek::rolleyes:
have a look at the ford ranger.
we are onto our second one and very impressed with both of them, looking to buy our 3rd later on this year.

I will do thank you! :D

This is an interesting one for me too. My Jeep is terminal, I think, - has definately been sat on the drive going nowhere since it was recovered earlier in the week !! I loved My Jeep Cherokee, and it has been really good up until now and I've had him for 8 years.
However am now looking at buying either a Hyundai Santa Fe or a Grand Cherokee.

My dad had one of the Jeep grande cherokees many many moons ago, the new one certianly look much better :)

Thanks ill have a look at those others you are looking at too :)

ROG

Visit site
If you choose the B+E option .....

The cost in my area is about £650 all inclusive for a first time pass done over 3 half days with test on day 3

The B+E test
No medical or theory test required
Read a number plate from a certain distance
VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions - usually 5
The next three can be in any order:-
VIDEO - Reversing Exercise - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

This is interesting BUT NOT RECOMMENDED – a B licence towing set up can be presented for the B+E test but L plates must be used for the test. So you can train yourself, go to test by yourself, fit L plates, do the test, then, pass or fail, remove L plates and drive away by yourself.
DSA B+E TEST AND VEHICLE/TRAILER REQUIREMENTS

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.
All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

Pipkin

Visit site
I have a warrior, not the best turning circle, great for towing though, gets up the hills easy in Carmarthen :)

TRECtastic

Visit site
my friend used to tow with a rav , the tailgate opened sideways not upwards , it was a pain getting stuff out the boot when hitched up as door couldnt be opened far enough
she changed to a kia sorrento which was fab , towed us to scotland from the midlands no problem , super 4x4 that got us off many a muddy field at TREC comps :)

Tilda

Visit site
I have an 05 plate mitsubishi shogun it has a 3.2 litre diesel engine and it shifts! It is pretty thirsty 26mpg but it is a luxury car really :) Mine was a fair bit more than £5k but when we were looking we saw an 04 plate that was around £5k which was a lower spec. Mine easily tows and ifor 505 with two 500kg cobs in.

Skippys Mum

Visit site
I wouldnt tow a big horse with anything less than a 2.5 and tbh, I prefer at least 2.8. Sorry Adopter but I wouldnt tow a horse with a Freelander (or for that matter, with a Rav or a Vitara).

I've got an old Pajero 2.8td and its a dream tow car. I've had many 4x4's over the years and Mitsubishis always win hands down for me :D.

I'm not a great fan of the Cheval Liberte boxes for big horses. I find them tight for space. You really cant beat a trusty Ifor 510/511 and they hold their price really well.

alainax

Visit site
Minor thought..... any one had any experience of the Mitsubishi Outlander? a 2.4 auto Sport SE?

Stats -

Power Output -158 bhp
Weight - 1565 kg
Braked Towing Weight - 1500 kg

myhorsefred

Visit site
I have a mercedes ml 320 and tow with it. I was really nervous of towing before, but you don't feel you are towing! Fab car. Bit thirsty though!

Caol Ila

Visit site
I had a Disco for over five years. No power and it liked breaking down in awkward places. The old ones anyway (what you'd get for less than £5k) are pretty useless on the pick up. It was a beast in snow, though. However, if you like a snappy car, I would not recommend one.

My mother had one of the big Mitsubishi 4x4s, called a Montero in the US. Equivalent here is Pajero or Shogun or something like that. It was more underpowered than the Disco.

The car I have now is very quick and responsive for a 4x4. And an automatic as well. The manual version would probably be even quicker. Unlike the Disco, it doesn't give up on life and drop down to 50mph no matter how hard you floor it on that hill on the M74 after the Cairn Lodge junction. I have no idea if it would haul Titan, though. ROG, 2004 Hyundai Sante Fe auto with a 2 liter diesel engine? I didn't get it to haul, as I'm not likely to buy a trailer any time in the near future, so I didn't look into the spec for that. I just got it 'cause I'm from Colorado and couldn't face a 4x4-less world after the Disco died. :D But for a fun-to-drive 4x4, it's not bad and may be worth looking into if it will haul your horse.

I used to haul my horse with a Ford F-250. Mmmm.....5 liter V8 engine... I loved that truck and dearly miss it, but you won't find one here.

You realise if you buy a pickup, I will stand around at the yard and drool over it. ;) My OH thinks I'm bananas, because every time I see a nice looking pickup, I ogle and say, "Ooooh.... pretty truck!"

buddylove

Visit site
I have a Dodge Nitro which has a fair bit of poke (2.8l) but am getting rid of it as need a 7 seater - gutted as it looks cool and easily tows 511 with chunk in it.

tinap

Visit site
If you want to spend loads on repairs & regularly not have use of a car due to it being broken, get a Discovery td5 (can you tell I hate them?!!!) seriously though, if you're thinking of a disco don't get the older td5!!

Ive borrowed my mams Nissan Terrano for year when mines been bust & I love it that much I've just bought my own! xx

tinap

Visit site
Must add my disco wasn't too old at the time I bought it (6yrs old & paid £8k). Within 3 months it needed £1800 worth or repairs & over the 7yrs we've owned it I've spent over £9k repairing it!!!!