4x4 Towing Vehicle for 2x17hh and under £3000!

jm2k

Visit site
After some vehicle advice please guys.
Max budget is £2700 stretching budget. To tow 510 - 2x 17.2hh.

Need to change the 4x4 (got to have 4x4 as horses set off beaten track in Winter). Minimum able to tow an Ifor 505 which we have now for 2x 15.2hh but going to change it in future to the bigger 510 for 17.hh x 2 horses so need a good towing allowance.
Possible considerations are Nissan Terrano lwb 2002-3 2.7 or 3 litre,
Nissan Navara D22 2.5td, but open to any suggestions.

I need a better mpg/daily running as I have a 'R' cherokee 4l petrol automatic which is incredibly heavy on the fuel and far too expensive to use daily as it does average 16mpg not towing! :eek:

I know im asking a lot with such a tight budget - any hints, tips, info etc very gratefully received.

maisie06

Visit site
I paid 1k for my 3.1ltr turbo diesel Trooper 3 years ago....falling to bits now but loads around in your price bracket,just avoid the 3.0ltr models unless they have had the recall work on the injectors done.

If you can find one I would also Highly recommend a Daihatsu fourtrack. Rugged but great towcars and cheaper to run than your Jeep.

Not sure if a Navara would be in your budget and I wouldn't have a nissan if you paid me!! (Unless it was an old Nissan patrol,when they were built to last!)

McW

Visit site
Jeep grand Cherokee 2.7 crd - merc engine. Can get a 3k 53/54 plate no problem with below avg mileage. 3500 tow capacity.

chapper

Visit site
I've towed with a Nissan terrano and it was fab, 2.7 turbo diesel, was pretty economical on fuel too! I've now got a 2002 plate Mitsubishi L200 pick up 2.5 and love it, amazing for towing and even more economical than the terrano :) cost me £3000

jm2k

Visit site
Owned 2 brand new fourtrak 2.7td a long time ago (96-99) their rear interior is tiny! much too small for me to use with horses (towed not in boot lol), dogs and kit included but they were lovely little jeeps and would have another if i didnt need space. Pain in butt when sacks of feed in the tiny boot slipped and hit the lock so had to climb over to move the sacks all the time!

Cherokee, ive been reading reports that they are not safe (excuse the correct terms but basically the undercarriage is like a car so tow frame is basically not strengthened for such weight as a fully loaded twin trailer. been reading loads of jeep forums who say this) it would tow weight easily with the engine if the structure was safe?- so will have to do more research on JEEP as they are fab vehicles

Keen to do more reading on the Terrano as ive found this on Parkers to compare up to 3 vehicles and their running costs!
http://parkers.car-costs.co.uk/parkers_plugin_multiple_used.php

I tried 2 just to see, 10,000 miles and kept for 2yr:
Terrano 3l SVE TD Auto 2002: Cost per mile to run 26p Cost per month to run £219.74
Grand Cherokee CRD ltd Auto 2004: Cost per mile to run 38p Cost per month to run £315.38

JillA

Visit site
If fuel economy is a concern, you need to avoid automatics and any that are in permanent four wheel drive.
I had a Trooper for over 8 years and loved it, but it was getting a bit rusty underneath and had done over 215,000 miles. I would have another tomorrow if they still made them - how about a relatively low mileage one of them? Because of their age they should be cheap enough, and there are still a few tidy ones around (imports are even better, usually have had relatively little use and very low mileage/high spec). I now have a 3ltr lwb Terrano and can't fault it, tows up to 3000kg according to the specification, tws my elderly IW and 16.2 WB beefcake as though it wasn't even there. I had to work out the fuel for a towing job for a freind and it worked out around 20 mpg, so not at all bad.

jm2k

Visit site
If fuel economy is a concern, you need to avoid automatics and any that are in permanent four wheel drive.
I had a Trooper for over 8 years and loved it, but it was getting a bit rusty underneath and had done over 215,000 miles. I would have another tomorrow if they still made them - how about a relatively low mileage one of them? Because of their age they should be cheap enough, and there are still a few tidy ones around (imports are even better, usually have had relatively little use and very low mileage/high spec). I now have a 3ltr lwb Terrano and can't fault it, tows up to 3000kg according to the specification, tws my elderly IW and 16.2 WB beefcake as though it wasn't even there. I had to work out the fuel for a towing job for a freind and it worked out around 20 mpg, so not at all bad.

Oh yes, definitely do not want any all wheel drive, however, as bizarre as it sounds some of the cars on parkers MPG are a little better with automatics than manual.
Great to hear about your Terrano. my jeep goes down to 10mpg when towing so 20mpg is an improvement lol.

ask me to work out how many miles mpg is as a litre is though and i have no idea!