4yo's first outing and Herbster having a jump!

jess_asterix

Visit site
Took my little 4yo for a play round Kingswood's arena eventing course and thought Herbie could pop along too for a jump round.

I loaded her the night before a few times for some practice and she was really good on and off 3 times, walked straight on Friday morning and also went straight on, on her own when Herbie was taken off to jump so very happy at that alone :)

Just wanted to keep the jumps small with the ideas of keeping her confident and going forward, I need not have worried, she didn't so much as look at the banners and jumped everything first time. That was enough for me so she was patted and put back on the lorry!

Any advice on what you would be doing with a 4yo (yet to actually 'turn' 4) at this stage would be appreciated.
We are hacking twice a week, schooling once and either jumping or schooling once.

Pics
16176_10151321103701755_1614388422_n.jpg

12412_10151321103751755_1741260156_n.jpg

Vid
[youtube]P84hNd0-vYk[/youtube]

Herbie, just thought we needed a jump as havn't managed to get out anywhere for a while. He was a dude as usual!! I can't wait to get out at Novice now as he finds it all rather easy. Dreading Badminton and having to jump 90cm as I know I will ride like a numpty!!

Pics
292234_10151321103896755_417733200_n.jpg

544331_10151321104076755_2001637077_n.jpg

61545_10151321104121755_865136177_n.jpg

58880_10151321104161755_1257822747_n.jpg

Vid
[youtube]HknL3TmDbx0[/youtube]

CC more than welcome :) xx

icestationzebra

Visit site
Two lovely lovely horses and I fully expect to read a very successful report from Badminton :)

Please please be careful when using tyres on a fence like that - so easy for the horse to catch the pole and get his leg through a tyre which could break a leg. I'd hate to see either of you hurt :(

jess_asterix

Visit site
Two lovely lovely horses and I fully expect to read a very successful report from Badminton :)

Please please be careful when using tyres on a fence like that - so easy for the horse to catch the pole and get his leg through a tyre which could break a leg. I'd hate to see either of you hurt :(

Thanks, hopefully there will be a successful report!

TBH I never really thought about that, they were there ready for arena eventing at the weekend so never gave it a second thought! Thank you!

What tidy legs she's got for a baby! Great stuff. Herbie has quite a pop in him doesn't he?!

She is qite aware of where her legs are and didn't touch a single fence so very happy! Herbie has got a lovely pop bless him, love him alot :)

Herbie is such a smart horse :) Really looking forward to seeing Susie's progress, she's lovely :)

Thanks, hopefully she will turn out a good one (not that she's bad atm!)

Love them both and you ride so quietly and always to such a lovely stride, really nice vids :)

Thank you, that's really lovely of you I have had to work very hard to stop 'messing' with them into a fence and I think it is beginning to pay off :)

lyndsayberesford

Visit site
Love both of your horses! Beautiful technique on them both and you ride them both nice and quietly

I'd probably do a little less jumping than once a week on the yet to turn 4 yr old, less jumping on young joints the better really and save her jumping for outings to save her young joints, she looks a nice horse for the future for you. Doesnt look like she will cause you any problems etc and as you say she isnt spooky and knows where he legs are.

Looks like you are doing a really good job with both and good luck for Badminton Grassroots!

jess_asterix

Visit site
Love both of your horses! Beautiful technique on them both and you ride them both nice and quietly

I'd probably do a little less jumping than once a week on the yet to turn 4 yr old, less jumping on young joints the better really and save her jumping for outings to save her young joints, she looks a nice horse for the future for you. Doesnt look like she will cause you any problems etc and as you say she isnt spooky and knows where he legs are.

Looks like you are doing a really good job with both and good luck for Badminton Grassroots!

Thank you very much.

Re. the jumping, I guess I don't really jump once a week as I have only jumped her twice since I have had her but I try and do a little bit of pole work once a week.

Thank you, i think I will need luck although I think it will be a dressage competition!

Both lovely with a great jump on them :) You're such a quiet and tidy rider!

Thank you :D

What a fabulous pair :)

Thanks, I'm very lucky to have such lovely horses :)

Such a lovely rider!

Thank you :)