4yr old hunting...

H-J

www.piczo.com
Hi, need some advice!

I want to take my new 4yr old Spider hunting, she is very bold XC I took her to a hunter trial last week and she just had a look at the corner, and boldy went away from everybody etc. There are no more hunter trials etc through the winter near me, and I can hire out Stratford Hills probably at some point but thought maybe I could take her hunting, but dont want to upset her!! She is very level headed and hacks out alone and in company and we canter out etc. I aim to Intro her at the start of next season then hopefully do some 5yr old Pavo classes.

I took Golly (who sadly had to be PTS this year) hunting last year when he was a 4yr old, he was a lot more scatty then her and he coped very well, he didnt want to stand still when we stopped! But got better the 2nd time and he jumped everything and wasnt as bold as her.
Do you think it would be a good idea to take her this winter??

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Absolutely - do as many half days as you can. And if you can go with a 'pal' even better.

Have fun...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

BBs

Visit site
Yeah why not!

Have contemplated it myself - however we have over 150 ppl out on a saturday
frown.gif
so not wise for us atm.

I cant see it being a problem, many irish horses go hunting when they are 3 or 4
smile.gif

Good luck and have lots of fun
smile.gif

sorona

Visit site
You will never know unless you try! I think hunting is a great way of instilling confidence in youngsters, making them aware of what their feet are doing and taking care of themselves. it has been the making of my daugthers pony who regularly refused XC jumps as a 4 yr old, he is going clear and being placed, if not winning, each time out over much bigger courses than he was doing before. He is quite wired up when hunting nd doenst like standing still for too long but it hasnt altered his personality and he can still do a cracking dressage test and WH and showing, he is just a lot bolder.

H-J

www.piczo.com
Yes that is what I thought just do a half day as I think a full day is probably too much! Luckily she is quite level headed so I dont think it will blow her brain! Hopefully not!

KatB

Visit site
Yep agree with everything said above, but pick and choose your days carefully. I take mine bloodhounding because I know things are pre-prepared, and the ground is always good.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Personally I think hunting is a great way to teach them to look after themselves and know where their legs go.

I never took my WB - life is too short! I used to hunt my TBs, and I do intend to take Chancer when he is 4/5 to broaden his experience of life.

Clodagh

Visit site
You are in Farmers country, I think, and they can be a bit stop...gallop...stop...gallop, not the best thing for youngsters, but if you have a friend with you so you can pick and choose the stop/gos you should have a great ime!