5 Day Panacur not worked- help!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
The clue for me is "what I thought looked like". Have you had it confirmed that they are in fact worms and not something innocent?

TigerTail

Visit site
Get a faecal egg count done - thats the only way to know for sure. I suggest westgate labs you get the results next day and they give you lots of advice.

You need to make sure you are alternating the type of wormer you use so the worms dont become resistant to the active drug.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
It will take a couple of weeks for the panacur to get round the entire system. Personally I try to always worm with an ivermectin or a noromectin if I suspect a high worm burden. This clears everything out and even kills biting insects!!

I would not worm at all for 6 weeks to try to reduce the damage to the stomache lining and overdosing on wormer! Speak to your vet and try a poo worm counter!

ISHmad

Visit site
I would have a worm count now, then you will know if your horse has resistance to Panacur or not. It could actually be that the wormer has worked and these are the residual worms coming out. But if you are at all unsure then go down the worm count route. There is so much resistance to wormers these days you are better to be safe than sorry.

TangoCurly

Visit site
If they are pinworm, the ones you are seeing a male ones. The females are the 10cm long ones. They should be sort of mucousy looking inside with one end tapering to a long thin point to be pinworm.

panacur is not effective for pinworm, the best type of wormer is pyrantel based to combat pinworm. You also need to scrub your stables, fence posts, gate, trees, etc, anywhere your horse can scratch his/her bottom to kill the eggs that will have been left there.

In summary, give your vet a call for some proper advice!

bye!

canteron

Visit site
I suspect that they may be dead/dying worms - this has happened to me before after worming (horse had been at livery!). But I think you should wait for 2 weeks before doing a worm count.

But why don't you email Westgate Labs. They have always given me great advice.

ISHmad

Visit site
panacur is not effective for pinworm, the best type of wormer is pyrantel based to combat pinworm.

Panacur does cover pinworms. It is that or Strongid P which is usually recommended to deal with them.

Westgate Labs are who we use for our worm counts, as others have said would be worth contacting them. You will find them very helpful.

TallulahBright

Visit site
Ok, update. Spoke to Westgate who said no point doing worm count but to send them a bit of tape which has been stuck on girlie's bum and they'll run a microscope over it. She said Panacur right one to use for pinworms. Spoke to vet who said big nightmare this year with pinworms- again, Panacur good one to use and now will have to wait and see and hope for the best. Obviously scrubbed everything etc and poo picking daily.