5 Day Wormer.............

Halfpass

Visit site
.............. is nearly over. Woooohooooo can't wait to put her out tomorrow will be up the yard at 5!!!!
After everything she seems to have come on ok. Had a play in the school with her tonight and she followed me everywhere. Walking, trotting, circles, serpentines, figures of eight. At the end I took a few steps backward and she even took 2 steps back herself!!!
She seems so much calmer although is still a bit bargy but i'm so pleased its nearly finished, very stressfull 5 days.

sojeph

Visit site
Ah, thats good to hear
grin.gif

icestationzebra

Visit site
Forgive my ignorance but what are the benefits of the 5 day wormer over one the standard pastes or granules? I would be very unhappy about having to keep my horse in for 5 days because of it - not criticising just genuinely interested in the thoughts behind it and the benefits.....

Elmere

Visit site
It is alot better for horses that havn't been wormed before, it gets rid gradually without too much of an impact on the horse especially if in a really bad state, i suspect this one to be a foal as usually thats there first wormer
wink.gif

Lottie7

Visit site
Ditto ISZ. I assume this is about Panacur Guard which can be used against small encysted red in November. I posted about this recently and lots of people said that many worms were resistant to Pan Guard in any event. Fortunately our yard manager listened to our point of view and vets advice and used Equest instead. When you have an old horse like my boy or a youngster like Halfpass a five day curfew can be a nightmare, particularly when you work full time. I can only assume that some yard owners who work with horses full time genuinely do not realise how difficult this can be.

In my friend's yard someone used Equest but was told he still had to leave his horse in for five days anyway. We can only assume this was because other liveries would discover that there was an alternative to the five day farce and the YM would look stupid. Not good to make the horse suffer though. Apparently she was going by the 3 year plan which was given out free with H&H a couple of years ago. What she didn't realise is that it was produced by the manufacturer of the stated wormers as a marketing tool and that there are alternatives!

HP - are you in a big yard - didn't any of the other liveries find this situation difficult. Can't you get together and have a chat with the YO so you and your mare don't have to go through this again. [Oops - having read this back I'm assuming that you would prefer not to use Pan Guard - apologies if this isn't the case.]

Anyway, enjoy tomorrow morning - I'm sure your mare will.............!

Halfpass

Visit site
Its been an issue since I have been at the yard but I went to the yard knowing what the worming programme was. The only people who had a real problem with it was ones with older horses that can't be ridden. It was taken up with the YM but it caused a huge row. Apparently there has been some bad press about the 13 week wormers which is why YM is not happy about using them. He has used the plan he is using now for years and his argument is why change something that works. IMO he needs to move with the times and update his worming programme but for now I love my yard so much that its a small price to pay. Maybe we will try to get together and encourage him to change trouble is he is not an easy person to persuade to change!!!

annaellie

Visit site
I have to say I swear by the 5 day wormer. One of my mares years ago I had not had her to long about six months and her weight was not great she was wormed regular. It was before 13 week was on market I was only a novice horse owner and I took her to a show and 1 judge told my mum she was wormy my mums reply was no she gets wormed and the judge explained the signs of worms and recomened the 5 day, a shoet while later the mare began putting condition on and I never looked back I make sure I use it at least once a year.

Lottie7

Visit site
I do wonder why yard owners are so pedantic at times. My friend has his name down to come to our yard. Our YM has been much more reasonable.

I was reading the comments on wormers in the vet forum - Star has some very interesting points. On the whole Equest seems to be very highly regarded, particularly in respect of encysted small red whereas Panacur seems to get very bad press.

At my friend's yard it is stated in the yard rules that you have to worm when the YM says. This is a very good idea as we know how lax some horse owners can be. However, my friend does have a good point - in that if you are going to tell people what medicine to give their horses then you should really give people a print out of your worming programme and what wormers you intend to insist they use so that they can have the full facts before deciding to move. Seems a sensible point to me.

Anyway, we can all breath.......... for now. I hope her fetlock is OK now.