5 star vetting

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Does the buyer usually attend a vetting or wait for results from vet

first mare was on loan from a riding school then purchased (no vetting)
my second mare also not attended as she was 4.5 hrs away
donkey also was purchased from Jamie Gray (not vetted)
my first pony I did not get vetted as a friends pony
my 2nd pony was 5.5 hrs away so did not attend vetting
my appy I got vetted failed and I was not there as 3 hrs away
I did a 2 star for my recent ID mare who did pass after the failure above
recent donkey not vetted

So I can say I have never attended a vetting

It depends on your experiance and how much your paying and what you want to do with the horse and of course your work and location.

I have my own yard and it is hard to leave it due to some horses on restricted turnout.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes, I would attend if possible. Please note it is a 5 STAGE vetting, not a 5 STAR vetting. Vets get very irritated by people referring to them as 2 and 5 star vettings.

Flicker

Visit site
If you can, try to go. However, I am in quite a remote region and wasn't able to attend one vetting (horse sadly failed). I made sure I had a really good chat with the vet who was going to carry out the vetting, about what I wanted the horse for and the things that I had noticed that I wanted explored further. I also chose the vet independently and made sure it was not the same practice that the seller used.
In my experience this arrangement worked well - you just need to be a bit more organised and take a bit more time having that conversation initially.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I sometimes do sometimes don't .
I do if my friends vetting as it's a day out otherwise I don't bother.
I don't have anything to add to proceeding so it's a bit of a waste of time .
Before hand I will have spoken to the vet about what the horse is for and flagged up anything I noticed .

Sparemare

Visit site
I did with a horse who failed the vetting. It was really helpful to hear what the issues were and meant that my deposit was handed back immediately by the seller