5 THINGS CORONA HAS TAUGHT ME

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
1) That animals don't waste time worrying - they live in the moment . Armagedon may be imminent but right now , today , they still want their food , exercise and daily routine .

2) Never EVER take anything for granted .

3) Mr Farside bought me a beautiful pair of Fairfax and Favour Imperial Explorer boots for my birthday last August . Up until March I kept them wrapped in their box and only wore them on special occasions . Now I wear them every single day for doing the horses and walking the dogs . NEVER save anything ' For Best'.

4) People can be roughly divided into two groups - those you would like to be in isolation with , and those you wouldn't . The second group is much larger than the first .

5) I know how to spell Corona .

View

Visit site
1) that we can manage perfectly well without shopping everyday

2) reminded me that necessity really is the mother of invention

3) just how much easier my life is than some of my staff have it

4) reminded me just how painful dealing with the death of a colleague really is (I have to support and look after our staff, when I inwardly I want to curl up and cry too)

5) that there is no point moaning that life is unfair; just get on with it

Upthecreek

Visit site
1) There is a big difference between want and need.

2) I spend all my free time in ‘normal life’ with my horses (my husband was right ?‍♀️).

3) I enjoy gardening now it’s pretty much all there is to do.

4) My children have grown into amazing young adults and they are dealing with the restrictions on their lives better than many adults. I am super proud of them.

5) People fall into two categories - those who are prepared to follow instructions without question for the greater good and those who are not.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
1. As a self-confessed introvert, I actually value social connections far more than I thought.

2. That we don’t actually need to shop every couple of days.

3. We are so incredibly fortunate, and that I should appreciate that more often.

4. Life is too short to not live the life you dreamt of. There’ll never be a right time to do anything, so start working towards what you want and do whatever you can to realise your dreams.

5. That the world is full of those that think of others, and those that only think of themselves.

Expo

Visit site
1) I worry too much about inconsequential things.
2) I have great friends.
3) My husband is actually a pretty decent human being and I married him for very good reasons.
4) I can manage very well only shopping every 10 days or so.
5) There is a lot right about my life, and I should focus more on those things and not over think the negatives.

Lessons in life indeed. Maybe this time is giving us all time to reflect on our lives and make changes for the better.

dorsetladette

Visit site
1) how antisocial I actually am. Apart from the morning commute to work my life hasn't changed much.
2)I have missed/wasted so much of my life/time saying - I'll do that tomorrow or when I've finished this I'll do etc (ride mostly) I now take time to smell the flowers so to speak.
3) me and OH actually get on quite well.
4)life is to short to be stuck in a job you don't enjoy/working with people you don't gel with.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I made the right decision to become an Ocado customer

I made the right decision to have veg boxes delivered

Working from home one or two days a week doesn't work, I end up talking to colleagues every day

Microsoft Teams isn't particularly good for conference calls

I only actually need about 5 outfits.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
The challenges of working from home on a 12 week lockdown:

1. Being with your OH 24 hours a day is not easy!?
2. No M&S ?
3. I have more gin than tonic in the house?
4. Sitting on a semi plastic chair all day working is not good for your lady bits ?
5. Amazon is my best friend ?
6. All those jobs your OH was going to do still won't get done ?
7. You are not saving money on diesel, see number 5 above!
8. You constantly graze on custard creams and wonder why you are putting on weight ?
9. You appreciate those techy IT guys even more when you are home alone with a laptop ?
10. If you want to speak to those techy guys call them at 7.30 am as then you can get through ??

fiwen30

Visit site
1. There certainly is a difference between ‘want‘ and ‘need’.
2. My partner is a good ‘un, and there’s no one else I could be stuck in a house for 12 weeks with.
3. Letting go of things I can’t control is WAY easier said than done, but I’m trying my best.
4. Sitting on a soft sofa, or a comfy bed, all day actually makes your bum really sore!
5. Not even a lockdown has me bored enough to try Pilates...yet.

blitznbobs

Visit site
1) I actually like being at home... I’m never normally at home I run round like a blue bummed fly but I have enjoyed not going out for the last 3 weeks (I do live on 10 acres in the most beautiful house in the world but still)
2) my kids aren’t the whiners I thought they were... they’ve accepted everything incredibly well
3) I can shop weekly and cook every night without too much hardship.
4) I am much more antisocial than I thought... I dont miss anyone much.
5) I want to touch my face every 3 seconds apparently

oh and you can do everything there is to do in pjs... as long as you have day pjs and night pjs (bras are entirely optional)

Cob Life

Visit site
1) I never realized how much I love the hardest part of my job until I was told I wouldn't be able to do it for months

2) I'm much better with technology than I thought

3) I value just spending time with horses much more than the actual riding

4) I am very productive working from home

5) I actually like cleaning when I have the time

Mule

Visit site
1. As a self-confessed introvert, I actually value social connections far more than I thought.

2. That we don’t actually need to shop every couple of days.

3. We are so incredibly fortunate, and that I should appreciate that more often.

4. Life is too short to not live the life you dreamt of. There’ll never be a right time to do anything, so start working towards what you want and do whatever you can to realise your dreams.

5. That the world is full of those that think of others, and those that only think of themselves.
I never valued being an introvert as much as now. I know some people are becoming quite down without normal social contact. I never realised that not needing that social contact could end up being useful. I'm happy with just chatting through txt. If I was living alone I would feel differently though.

Last edited:

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
1) my daily coffee habit was costing me a ridiculous amount of money each week.
2) I’m a much nicer person now I can go for my run before I start work each day
3) Loving MS teams, esp. the whiteboard collaboration tools and inbuilt AI. So much more productive
4) A percentage of horse people have very poor comprehension, can’t follow Govt guidelines and use the word “confusing” whenever they don’t want to abide by the simple instruction the are being asked to follow to reduce the spread of CV.
5) Obsessively checking how much this is reducing our global CO2 outputs everyday as well as how we are considering ways to replace our over reliance on fossil fuel once the world begins recovery.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
1) Never been happier that I live on my own, albeit with a shit tonne of various animals...the thought of being cooped up with someone else for an indefinite amount of time brings me out in hives ???

2) The minute I'm told I can't do something I have the overwhelming desire to do exactly that ???

3) I'm just as unmotivated to clean the house when I'm trapped in it as any other time ????

4) I hate our government more now than I ever believed possible....and I really hated it before ??

5) HHO is a Godsend full of random strangers that have, for the most part, really pulled together to keep each other entertained and supported through all of the shit that's going on in the world

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
1. There are those who don't just survive but they thrive on isolation. I count myself as one of these.

2. There are always those who, in a crisis, seek to look after themselves at the expense of everyone else; conversely there are always those who give of themselves and there resources sacrificially.

3. It IS possible to live for a week without shopping! Simply by living on what is already in hand.

4. It is possible to actually miss being at work and look forward to returning! Unbelievable but true.

5. You CAN actually exist without bog-paper............... :)

dorsetladette

Visit site
1) how antisocial I actually am. Apart from the morning commute to work my life hasn't changed much.
2)I have missed/wasted so much of my life/time saying - I'll do that tomorrow or when I've finished this I'll do etc (ride mostly) I now take time to smell the flowers so to speak.
3) me and OH actually get on quite well.
4)life is to short to be stuck in a job you don't enjoy/working with people you don't gel with.

5 - I can't count!!!!

Lurfy

Visit site
1. There are 11 Tim Tams in a packet, which I don't think is a lot
2. I've had my horse for 15 years this year and now my time with him is restricted I appreciate him more than I ever realised
3. My husband is quite a good cook
4. My granddaughter turns 2 in 11 days and she is the apple of my eye
5. Toilet paper is overrated

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
1. That I am even more blessed being able to step out of my house into a National Park than I already thought I was.

2. That the benefits of having my horses at home will never be outweighed by the potential disadvantages.

3. That Costa coffee machines are even more important than I thought they were.

4. That Aldi frozen chicken breast fillets are made of old army boot leather.

5. That if you put a full size projector screen ten feet away in your lounge, project your film onto it and turn the lights off, you really can pretend that Cineworld hasn't suspended your unlimited subscription.

holeymoley

Visit site
1- I’m grateful to live in a housing estate away from everyone else that backs on to a woodland

2- my kids are actually pretty cool and funny

3- my roots need done badly

4- the freedom to do as we please is very much taken for granted

5- half of folk are self centred selfish gits and the other half are pleasant warm people that would help you before they helped theirselves.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
1. How great my husband is, and how he is easy he is to live with.
2. How much I miss my kids and grandchildren invading the house every weekend.
3. How fantastic the supermarket managers and workers have been. They've managed, with little warning, to keep the panicking nation fed and have introduced impressively efficent infection prevention measures, along with looking after their staff and keeping public order. These people have no medical knowledge or crowd control training. I wish they were running the NHS. We might have more gloves, masks and testing being done if they were.
4. I learnt how fantastic my postman, delivery drivers and feed store owners are.
5. My dogs and horses know what's going on. My cats don't care.

oldie48

Visit site
1. How wonderful it is to walk the dog when all I can hear is birdsong. Just the best way to start the day.
2. I live in a kind and caring little community, not many of us but we look after each other.
3. I get huge satisfaction from having a clean lorry, inside and out even if it's not going anywhere.
4. I am incredibly proud of my younger daughter and the work she does.
5. I can manage worries and anxieties by sorting them into those I can do something about and those I can't

Muddywellies

Visit site
1. Social media is more full of cr@p and scaremongering than I ever thought possible
2. There are more opinionated busy bodies in the horse world than I ever thought possible (I've seen some truly awful comments from people in recent weeks)
3. I'm VERY proud to be British. I'm humbled by all the kindness and selflessness Ive seen in this country in recent weeks.
4. I thought I didnt like people. Turns out I like people more than I thought.
5. My excuse for not doing housework was always shortage of time. OK, so it looks like I just hate housework and I've got absolutely no interest in doing it.

Bayracer

Visit site
1. How little I went shopping to begin with as I have not had to change me shopping habits.
2. As farmers we are the most hated yet loved profession, one minute we are told how wonderful we are and everyone will support British, then the next containers full of polish meat is being imported
3. If you Support your local community they will support you.
4. I’ve met me other half for the first time on weekends as there isn’t any shows - he’s actually a brilliant guy
5. I’m proud to be British

sorry an extra one
6. People perception of “essential” is very

Tarragon

Visit site
1. i am still working but from home and i will be very reluctant to go back to commuting, i love it. I have gained 2 hours, and can pop into my own kitchen at lunchtime, and my OH also works from home
2. I really appreciate the time outside I am allowed
3. Spring is a most beautiful season
4. i am getting a glimpse of what retirement must be like as life has slowed down and I think that I will quite like it (I am 58)
5. I have incredibly aware that I am lucky to live in a lovely rural location, with a biggish house and garden and my family with me. I feel so sorry for those stuck in apartments and on their own.

twiggy2

Visit site
1 humans can so be so selfless and selfish as a species that it renders me speechless.
2 it has reminded me that I am very lucky to do what I do, I am still working but outside and on my own
3 that my work puts me at risk at times, in lots of different ways, a vet can't ceaser a cow and maintain a 2 metre distance from the nearest person.
4 a sheep is not 2 metres long, if someone needs to hold a wild one whilst someone else lambs it we are both at increased risk
5 I miss people more when I know I cannot see them

CLA85

Visit site
1. That I am more antisocial than I realised. (I prefer the term selectively social! There is a difference!)
2. That my hubby and stepkids are pretty damn awesome, and that we are extremely lucky to live where we do, living the life we do, and with my horses at home. (And that riding your first ever medium test at home by yourself still counts!)
3. That my ‘proper job’ is even more rubbish than I realised and that I’m pretty damn sure, whatever happens, I will never feel the same about it. And that my ‘temporary’ job, really does seem to care. Hmm.
4. That’s money isn’t everything (yes I realise that I am in a privileged position to be able to feel this way).
5. That the general public are complete idiots. (Sweeping generalisation galore! And said tongue in cheek so I don’t offend anyone! But you know what I mean.)

9tails

Visit site
1. My choice to not have children was a good one, judging by the bloodcurdling screams from next door
2. Lack of time wasn't the reason for not blitzing the house
3. I couldn't be completely alone, cats are very good substitutes though
4. I quite like social distancing, it has certainly curtailed gossiping
5. My natural hoarding tendency is self preservation, which has come into its own over the past couple of weeks