5 year old being 'difficult' - thoughts?

MissSBird

Visit site
Hey guys

B is going to be 6 next year and has become quite naughty recently. He's generally just as good under saddle, but in-hand he's become very difficult to work with.

This is my first youngster and I was well informed that most horses have a difficult 5 year old stage - and assured by the people I'm around/my instructor that this new attitude is him being 'a teenager'. I've also been getting a lot of help with handling it too.

Over the last few days it's suddenly...stopped. He's been amazingly good, barely putting a foot wrong and immediatly stopping when he got scolded for showing signs that he was thinking of being naughty. The transformation has been so sudden I've been concerned the last few days that he's not feeling right, but he's eating well and is bright enough.

I know I should probably just relax and enjoy the good moment while it lasts but, really, do horses honestly have such a lightbulb moment?

What's other's experience of them getting over the difficult stage?

Firewell

Visit site
Mine havent really been difficult as such but I do find that they go through phases of trying a new trick then they will be OK and then they will try a new one! Just trying to figure out what behaviour is acceptable and what's not I think!
Like we went through a stage of bucking into canter, that didn't last long :p. Ummm trying to whip round out hacking, we don't do that anymore. Trying to move off when having the bridle put on, being naughty and pulling away when being led, been through that! Plus lots of other things. My late mare tried napping for a short while.
I do find that they try something naughty a few times and if you haven't let them get away with it they stop and don't do it ever again!
My boy now is a lot stronger now at 6 then he was at 4 and he has a lot more 'personality' but generally he's very good, just a phase of being a bit of a knobber every now and again. I can really feel him growing up at the moment and he's going through a lovely well behaved phase, hope it lasts lol :).
Oh there was a time with my late mare in November, she was 6, she was a witch for about 3 months. Just unsettled and really really horrid mainly handling on the ground. I was pulling my hair out over it but it did get better and she never got that bad again and she was actually a joy to own by the time she was 8.

Leg_end

Visit site
I agree with Firewell, if you nip it in the bud they will either try something else or give up! My old lad was a definate try it on type and from rising 6 to seven he could have some real swine moments! He tried every trick in the book and if he got away with it once he would try and try again but in the end I think he realised it was a far nicer life to jut do what I wanted him to :) Buddy is different, he is only just five but he's been an angel so far. He has had the odd session or two when he's tried it on or if he's a bit fresh but if you tell him to knuckle down its never an issue again. He does use the same trick each time though so telling him off for it obviously doesn't make that much difference :p