5 year old testing boundaries?

ponytrouble

Visit site
On advice from our old YO, we bought a very lovely rising 5 year old for my 11 year old daughter. We were promised plentiful support . . . and then asked to leave the yard because a more financially appealing offer had been made to the YO who was out of stables. This has left us with a very sweet, but very young pony and, to be honest, I would never have bought such a youngster if I hadn't been assured of our YO's expert help.

But here we are . . . on a new yard and I feel we're going backwards. I'm able to ride her and we've been hacking out but the napping doesn't seem to be going away and when we hack alone she is routinely stopping or trying to head for home. I've taken to carrying a whip and using it, along with my voice, to convince her to continue but I worry that instead of building her confidence, I'm actually eroding it. We were lunging well but had a break of a fortnight and when we tried to lunge yesterday she was bucking and ignoring all voice commands (which we'd been gradually building up). I don't know if this is the start of the behavioural shift that can occur at 5, or whether it's a lack of consistency but the lunging scared me and I don't really know how to bring it back.

In all honesty, I feel quite overwhelmed. She is a calm and gentle soul who is relatively easy on the ground but has a tendency to plant when she's nervous, scared, lazy or simply not wanting to do the task in hand. All of which I appreciate are tendencies of young horses . . . but I'm not sure I'm cut out to reinforce the right messages to her. In six months she has brought my daughter's riding on SO much but she's unable to compete because the pony finds shows overwhelming and whilst jumping perfectly well at home, runs out at most jumps (we've had one successful outing so far) and I don't want to overwhelm her too.

I'm not even sure how much work is right for her (she's 5 next month). We've been hacking 2-3 times a week with a lesson as well. So there's usually 4 or sometimes 5 sessions a week, this will be a variety of hacking, a pony club rally or time in the school at home. Is this too much?? She gets time off every week and the hacks are probably 45 minutes long (walking and trotting).

I have advice from a number of experts - and they've all been very reassuring that this is normal but I worry that I'm going to harm this gorgeous pony simply by not knowing enough. I'm gutted our old YO changed her mind on the commitment she'd made to us and feel like I've been hung out to dry a bit. Any help or links to suitable literature would be much appreciated.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think there is a lot of good news here. You sound very sensible in your approach and seem to like the pony, which is a golden start.

If you feel the pony is going backwards in behaviour, I would seek expert help. Many trainers will come to your yard and do both schooling and walk out with you so they can assess what is happening.

As for the work, no, that sounds reasonable and varied.

I would perhaps start by asking at Pony Club for which trainer would be best to come to your yard and help. Maybe your daughter already has an instructor there that she clicks with?

Fieldlife

Visit site
I think you have option to work through, and I am sure you could.

But I might also be tempted to send pony to a really decent pony professional to be worked, lightly competed and sold. Need to be very sure was the right person, and if you share your area, someone here might be able to recommend someone.

And look to get you and your daughter a teenage pony that has been there, done that, that you can have fun with this summer. Bit of luck the same person that could sell your pony might find a ready made suitable one for you both too.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
You bought the pony with the knowledge that you would be needing help so I agree you need to get that help somewhere else now your circumstances have changed. Can you find a trainer who will come out to train her & then teach you on her as well?

With regard specifically to the hacking alone. That's something you need to teach her gradually. I'd start by hacking in company but get her used to being at the front for a few strides at a time. Most people who ride a very steady horse will have been asked from time to time to help teach a youngster to hack so you might find someone on your new yard who has done it before.

Don't be disheartened she sounds lovely. There are good things to come from starting with a youngster - at least you know she hasn't been ruined by someone else, a blank slate can be easier in the long run that having to erase bad habits.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Do some research and buy in the best help…someone who will ride once and teach the pony and then teach you/your daughter once a week. Don’t over lunge or make the pony super fit ..do fun in hand stuff in the arena too so the pony knows not to take the pee …and relax. I’ve ridden/been around horses for over five decades but have bought in expert training help for my daughters new three year old (well I don’t bounce well anymore) ..it’s an investment in their future. Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Upthecreek

Visit site
It sounds like the pony has some gaps in her education and has been through some upheaval moving to the first yard when you bought her and then moving again. If your daughter wants to compete now, I don’t think this pony is ready for that and you will need to put some consistent work and training in to increase her confidence first. The pony is not confident hacking alone so you need to hack with another calm pony or see if you can get someone to accompany you on foot to build confidence. By smacking her you are forcing her to do something she isn’t comfortable with rather than giving her positive experiences to make her feel comfortable. There is no reason that you can’t work through the issues, but you need help from a professional sooner rather than later.

Equi

Visit site
I think if you get some help in, you and your daughter will end up with a cracker little pony. However if you feel overwhelmed and don’t want to continue, you can simply sell.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Is the behaviour change linked to moving to a new yard? Has her management changed at all? That could explain feeling suddenly unsure and "going backwards". I increasingly think yard moves are huge for horses- they don't really understand what is happening.

I do think you probably need to invest in the help- someone who can teach, ride and is perhaps willing to walk out with you as well would be ideal.

However, if you're going to feel constantly stressed doing all the "firsts" (which I totally get, by the way) then perhaps it might be best to sell and find something been there/done that which can do everything you and your daughter wants!