50 years of horses and my horse surprised me today.

Mike007

Visit site
It was just a little thing. Over the years I have had countless horses step on my foot. Today I was in every sense ,caught,wrong footed and Bob the nota cob stepped forward onto my foot. No escape ,caught bang to rights ,this is going to really hurt. yet as all 700kg of him went forward ,he saw my foot and stopped ,merely touching it with his hoof and stepped back. Never seen that done before!

_GG_

Visit site
It was just a little thing. Over the years I have had countless horses step on my foot. Today I was in every sense ,caught,wrong footed and Bob the nota cob stepped forward onto my foot. No escape ,caught bang to rights ,this is going to really hurt. yet as all 700kg of him went forward ,he saw my foot and stopped ,merely touching it with his hoof and stepped back. Never seen that done before!

I have known one horse do that in my 33 years of horses. A ***** stallion called Thor. He would remove hoof and step away if he felt a foot under his hoof. If it was a hard object, he didn't care, but if it was soft, he would stop himself to the point of tripping a bit to lift away.

They are amazing animals.

teabiscuit

Visit site
I once got looked in the eye as my horse purposefully put his foot on top of mine and applied pressure.
He had a GSOH.

Pie's mum

Visit site
Funny isn't it how some of them do that.
Pie has the worlds safest horse mouth - you can give him treats between finger and thumb which he takes very gently. But if my finger does end up between his teeth he immediately opens his mouth so I don't get crunched.

Auslander

Visit site
It's amazing how gentle and clever they can be. When I first got Alf, he ran me over, trampled me, knocked me flying and generally abused me for months, but three years on - he makes real efforts not to hurt me. He'll spook at something, realise he's about to squish me, and stop dead, or wriggle to avoid hitting me, and he's nearly trodden on me several times, but stopped short as soon as he realised my foot was under his.
Sadly his caring side doesn't extend to ridden work, where he regularly has a go at dislodging me!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Mike007 please can you ask Bob nota cob to have a word with my pony. I've had him less than a year and he has already broken 2 of my toes. One on the very first day he arrived. Now he is shod I wear boots with protection.

Thank you.

Dubsie

Visit site
How lovely, would swap yours for our mare, who, on being spooky at something tried to hide behind me by walking into me and treading on my right foot and pinning it down while being led out to her field, causing me to take a big step left with my left foot to stop myself falling over - only for her to move sharp left still trying to hide behind me from the wrong side (she really wanted to walk through me to the other side!) and pin my left foot down. Luckily I wear steel toe caps.