5'6" + 14.2

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
Is 5'6" too tall for a non chunky 14.2? I am window shopping(!) but I do intend to be in the market again next year (dangerous occupation I know). My old lad was 14.3, I did sometimes suspect I was a bit tall but I felt right (and I think looked right having seen photos) so it was probably just my paranoia talking. Lots of the ones I like (and can afford or aren't 3 or 4) are around that height.

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
Yikes, am I that brave?? I only have pics of me on my old lad obviously as I am only window shopping. I'll have a peep and see if I have anything I won't get ripped apart for!!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Pm me then. I looked for a pic to show you and though nah they all make me look ridiculous I won't bother :eek::eek:. I didn't want a bigger one as it wouldn't fit in the trailer for a start!

lucy007

Visit site
Im 5'7 and ride 14.2s. Daughters ponies to help keep them fit, one of which was bought as a project and I was the sole jockey for her for nearly 2 years before daughter took over. Hacking ,schooling, competing, and neither of them are heavy. If it feels right, why not.

shampain

Visit site
Think it depends very much on the build of the horse and the weight and balance of the rider.
I'm currently riding, amongst other things, a couple of 13.3 newfies. I'm 5'6 and approximately 8 stone. Whilst I wouldn't elect to buy one personally as I feel more comfortable on rather larger horses, they're strong little ponies and I don't feel as if they have the slightest problem carrying me.
So in terms of height, so long as you're a well balanced rider and an appropriate weight for the build of the pony, then I don't see any issue whatsoever. (Plus ponies are good fun; can still canter on the verges ;) )

Silmarillion

Visit site
I think it's more about weight for the pony, and height for the rider. Except I'm not opening the weight can of worms!!
I'm currently selling my 14.1hh fine-type pony as she's too small. I'm 5'7" and 9st and don't feel right on her at all. I'm used to riding a 16.1hh and a 16.3hh though. I've ridden a friend's 14.1hh and felt fine though, but mine is very fine and TB-like.
I wouldn't say too tall - I'd say go with how comfortable you feel on board :)

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
Here goes (I think). My old lad who I lost 3 years ago. The ones I am drawn to very similar stamp.

Ignore my face please, I was concentrating!

joosie

Visit site
5'6'' is hardly tall (no offence, I'm 5'6'' too lol) and 14.2 isn't small - especially if you have something that takes up your leg well. I ride everything from Shetlands upwards, my own boy is 12.1 (though only ridden him once so far as he's only just been backed), I'm producing three 13.1 new forest ponies one of which I compete in SJ up to 80cm, I have also competed in riding club SJ and dressage on a 12.2 minicob. It really does depend on the horse you're considering as to how comfortable and balanced you feel on them, but personally I would never say 5'6'' is too big for a 14.2!

ETA just seen your pic above. You look super on him IMO!

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
Wow, like the action shot!! It would be sensible to get something around this height then my LO can have the odd sit on (and the indoctrination can begin - or should that be continue?).

maxie

Visit site
I'm 5ft 7in, weigh 10 stone & hunted a 14.2/14.3hh Connie all last season. He's not chunky but not fine either....

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
I'm 5'5 and Saf is 14.2hh, looks about right to me :)

5726_10151578827651263_1179294688_n.jpg

BigYellowHorse

Visit site
Im 5ft5 and ride a 14.1 no problems, she's a QHx but deep in the girth so carries a leg well.

I had a 5ft8 lady riding her and she didn't look at all out of place.

I have no photos though as no one take pictures of me :( lol

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
Thanks folks. I will stop fussing and assess each possible horse on it's merits. Although it might be sensible to stop window shopping for a while just incase there are any accidents!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I'm 5'5 (and a half!) which rounds me up to 5'6 :D I ride a chunky 15.2hh and a chunky, but rounder 14.2hh and I look smaller on the 14.2hh! Also just bought a very dainty little 14.2hh and Look fine on him. I ride a fat 14hh too and he easily takes up the leg!

pogface

Visit site
I'm 5ft10 and love nothing more than riding a pony... This is me on Pat, lovely pony that people on my yard let me ride. Excuse odd hand gesture... Had knuckle injury!

null-33.png

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
I'm about 5'7 ish and ride a 14.1hh cob...so I may suit a bigger horse better but it doesn't really bother me as he can carry me fine and he's still got a bit of growing to do.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
You'll be fine :)

I'm 5'6 - I've had a 14.1hh Welsh, a 14.3hh cob, and currently nag should make 15hh but much finer built. In fairness, I could barely get my legs round the 14.3...

Big horseys are overrated :p