5th of November....

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
What precautions are you taking?

I've just found out that fireworks for the village will be going off 30 metres from my horses. Trying to get them moved to another yard, but that may be stressful in itself.
crazy.gif

I'm starting to really wish we didn't have fireworks at all for the 5th.
frown.gif

Tia

Visit site
None of my horses have never bothered about fireworks. Our neighbours in England used to have them for any special occasion and the only ones in our household who were bothered were the dogs.

Bit like thunder and lightening - never bothered the horses either.

I always left the horses out in the fields on Firework night and could see them from the sitting room and none of them ever became upset - they all just guzzled their hay quite happily.

GTs

Visit site
I think you risk having your horses more scared by being in a new field with them, rather then in their field. I would get some a few days, fire them off, and watch. The reality is horses have seen them every year since they were born, much like thunder and lightening, if you do not make a deal about it, and act like all is fine, your horse probably will too.

polaris

Visit site
Puppy is going to have not such a fun time as R.A.F one on blacktop carpark. Brilliant to have an organised one, not so cool as it's spitting distance from our M.Q. He is actually a very brave dog and as long as we turn on the lights and put a good giggle film on and don't give him any comfort (the hardest thing ever!) He settles down pretty quickly!
Mr P. however at the first sound of a rocket will be diving under the table searching for his body armour and tin hat!!!! First night back somebody outside slammed a car door and he rolled out of bed and under it flaying wildly for his his E.C.B.A ..I shouldn't chuckle...but I did!
Poor little tike!!!!lol!

Visit site
our horses are in (american barn style stabling) right out in the countryside so there shouldn't be too many close by.
crazy.gif
*fingers crossed*

I'm more worried about my cat and dog.
frown.gif
Gonna keep them both in with the curtains shut, and the light on and either my speakers blaring out or the tv to try and drown out the noise.

Fireworks - I hate the things!
mad.gif

SummerStorm

Visit site
I leave mine out in the field - he doesn't seem bothered by them but even if he does get nervous, he's got plenty of room to run around.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
our towns fireworks are being let off at the park which is across the road from where i live (and where the horses are kept). i am taking them up to my grandads for the night, who lives on a farm with lots of land.

Thistle

Visit site
Mine will be in with plenty of haylage and a very loud radio tuned to classic FM.

At least it is a Sat this year so won't drag out so long as some years. The Sat night should be a bit loud though.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I hate fireworks! I can handle the ones on the 5th - you can prepare for those (my little collie x hates them) what I despise about the things is that it goes on for weeks and weeks.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I think theres going to be a display up at the hall on campus, horses are very close to it but in stables. I'm sure they'll be fine though, aftger all they have seen them every year of their lives!

RachelB

Visit site
Mine will be in with her window closed (not top door as she doesn't have one) and the light on and loads of hay, and me outside with a cup (or ten) of coffee! She hates bangs, and I found out last night she has a heck of a kick in her (nearly put a hole through the wall because a gelding 'looked at her' and she's in season), so I'm staying there in case she destroys the stable. If she does, then there is another stable she can go in with stronger walls and a top door to close, so I'll stick her in there. The village fireworks are just over the hill from us, usually the horses don't mind but this is Maiden's first year.
I just wish it was only allowed on the 5th and on new year's eve!

jj_87

Visit site
My lot will have lots of hayleage, the lights left on, the radio on and some cammonmile in thier feeds as the pain next door sets them off really too close.

Salcey

Visit site
ours are not so bad now as they're stables our ouside the village where we live. When they were in the village the idiots next door let them off at any opportunity we used to keep lights on, radio up loud and lots of hay and they were ok, although we tried not to go in and disturb them much.

hairycob

Visit site
First year I had Pickle I worried. But last year I took them out of the field to feed them before it got dark. Even so fireworks started going off in a nearby garden as soon as it started to get gloomy, while they were still eating. They didn't even look up. Didn't even pay any attention when we took them back to the field which meant walking towards the fireworks.

loopeepee

Visit site
Depends what the weather is like before then, and that will change whether they are in or out. Ie if it rains and the fields get cut up before the 5th then they will be in. But if it doesnt then chances are they will be out.
I've never had a problem with fireworks at all - like Tia said, they cope with thunder and lightening.

Snowberry

Visit site
when the ponies were at home they never bothered at all about fireworks - there's a big house over the back of us that lets them off every single time they have a party!!
mad.gif

(ponies live out too!!
shocked.gif
Does that make me an awful owner??!
blush.gif
) lol
Even our dogs arent that bothered really!!

sojeph

Visit site
I'd rather mine were out TBH! Which they will be. Although last year I found fireworks in my paddock so am a bit worried about rescue pony but will be able to keep an eye on him cos he's at home. Others are at a friends place up the road so will be fine.
Its my dogs that drive me mad. They're not fightened tho. They just race round the garden trying to find out where the noise is coming from!!!!!

pagancluf

Visit site
Ours have already started in earnest!! - It seems that fireworks start in October and end in Jan (with the New Year ones that go off! - who started that off?) horses are o.k. but dog is s**t scared!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
frown.gif
At least bonfire night is on a weekend although I expect some people will have fireworks on the weekends either side of the actual date. I always put turnout boots on my boy in his stable on bonfire night because one year he must have paniced & he cut his legs. I wish fireworks were not available too far ahead of the 5th & that people stuck to celebrations on either that day or just a couple of days around it rather than spreading it out over weeks. RANT OVER