6.5t v's 3.5t horsebox - loading issue

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
My William is a pain to load. He'll go on after a bit of faffing, but I am wondering if I should part with my 6.5t box for a 3.5t where the ramp will be lower. It puts me off taking him out because of the grief of loading. The ramp on my 6.5t is by no means steep (there's a small step up) but the gradient will be lower with a 3.5t surely? I know that the payload will be compromised, but I think that I can live with that. What do you think? I am clueless as to what my 6.5t may fetch as there's not a lot out there to compare it to!

trendybraincell

Visit site
It depends why he doesn't load well...you may find having the overhang on the ramp of a 3.5t won't help, I don't suppose you know someone with one or could hire one to see how he loads in it?

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
He just a stubborn mule! I usually use a pressure halter and can load him in that after a while. He never panics about going on, he'd just rather not bother. The only person I know with a 3.5t has the van type which he goes on ok, never been on a little journey in it though. I'm a bit 50:50 with it. My 6.5t is a fab little lorry, but am wondering if the lower floor of a 3.5t etc would make life a bit easier :D

Leg_end

Visit site
Before parting with your lorry I'd hire a 3.5T in the style you want for a couple of journeys just to make sure hell still load :)

philamena

Visit site
THere are loads of 3.5Ts to hire so would definitely try him in one. If you go for a racemaster type (one side opening door above ramp which pins back) or one with stable doors above the ramp you may find him easier than one with a prop-up top door. Also if he has a tendency to try to duck back out once in before the partition's moved, you may need to consider this if you often load single handed as the open area remains very nice and wide open until you get the partition shut. I have a handy long stick with a hook on the end to grab the partition and pull it round, but spent my first single handed loading experience walking in and out quite a few times as I couldn't reach the partition on my own ha ha.

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
I'll do that. I've just thought of someone else I can ask to borrow theirs. It's difficult because some days he's fine, the awkward devil. My 6.5t has a mega payload and is super tall inside (9ft of headroom) so I am loathe to part with it and still potentially have the same problem. A plus point of the 3.5t will be rear travelling whereas my lorry is forward facing. Just thinking out loud!

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
THere are loads of 3.5Ts to hire so would definitely try him in one. If you go for a racemaster type (one side opening door above ramp which pins back) or one with stable doors above the ramp you may find him easier than one with a prop-up top door. Also if he has a tendency to try to duck back out once in before the partition's moved, you may need to consider this if you often load single handed as the open area remains very nice and wide open until you get the partition shut. I have a handy long stick with a hook on the end to grab the partition and pull it round, but spent my first single handed loading experience walking in and out quite a few times as I couldn't reach the partition on my own ha ha.

He never dashes back out. Once he's on, he's on and will happily stand while I tie up, put the partition across, etc. What a pain!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
My bet is he will play you up just the same whatever vehicle you change to. He's learnt what pushes your buttons:D Sorry!

TommisMum

Visit site
I agree with it being one of those "learned things" - they can be unlearned with time though!

It wont be the steepness of the ramp as I am sure your horse doesn't object to hills that are steeper than others.

You say you have a small step up - does this cause the ramp to move as your lad puts his feet on it.
Horses are instictively scared of things giving way under their feet - this can be seen with a dislike of water - they dont know the depth and in some cases where rubber florrs have lifted in trailers/boxes and give way as the horse stands on them.

If there is a step try and ensure this is as stable as possible and then give your self 10 days with 10 - 20 minutes every day...
Open the lorry and take your boy on and off and on and off and on and off..... try and move the box if possible ...
If you do this 10-20 times a day for 10 days you'll have done 100-200 loads - this will help ingrain into even the most stubborn of minds that there is nothing to be concerned about.
Don't worry about waiting too long between reloading just a breather between loads ( or as my OH would say a glug of vino!)

cobden99

Visit site
I had a 5 tonne that my wels D suddenly became difficult to load in, although I do think the ramp was quite steep. I changed to a Marlborough 3.5 and he loaded like a dream. So best try one and see :)

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
The step is into the box itself and is solid as a rock. He's always been the same and its a leading issue essentially as he can be bargy on the ground if I let him! Doesn't get away with it these days ;D

I do practice with him and when he gets it, he loads himself. Even steps in and turns automatically.

I have a friend with a nice 3.5t so I have a few options.

Thanks for the good advice :D

Tooty1

Visit site
"My 6.5t has a mega payload and is super tall inside (9ft of headroom) so I am loathe to part with it and still potentially have the same problem"

I may be stating the obvious, but it's the height of the horsebox that dictates the length of the ramp, and in your case 9ft of headroom seems quite high for a 6.5t lorry? The height of the lorry may also make it unstable - could this be what is putting your horse off travelling?

Just thinking out loud LOL :)

Fiona

Visit site
If you park on a downward slope (to make the ramp less steep) does that make a difference??? If not - then I wouldn't think changing to a smaller box would make a difference unless you know for sure that he loves travelling backwards, and hates travelling forwards.

Personally speaking - we have a 6.5ton iveco, and no way would I be keen to swap for my SiL's 3.5ton. So much more space in the bigger box...

Fiona