6 year old - are we doing enough with him?

billylula

Visit site
We have a 6 year old NF pony on loan. He is a lovely boy and bombproof in traffic, however he can nap quite badly when he is hacked out alone and was very resistant to being ridden in his paddock (this has improved). At the moment I am riding him once a week and my daughters ride him at the weekend, my 12 year old was thinking of taking him hunting but is not quite confident to do that yet.

My question is..should we be doing more with him in the way of schooling? When we hack him out we practice reinbacks and square halts and my daughter tries to get him to change legs. I had originally decided to mark out part of the paddock as a 'school' with a couple of small jumps, however it is too muddy at the moment and also we have the resistance problem.

Basically I am worried that we aren't doing him justice. Annoyingly we don't have any transport at the moment so we cannot take him anywhere for a couple of months. Will taking him on hacks be 'enough'? We have lovely hacking here and we ride him for miles which he seems to love.

be positive

Visit site
NF ponies are very bright and enjoy as much variety as possible, when it is dry enough school him and get some poles/ jumps if you can and do work over poles to keep his mind more occupied. Some lessons or joining the PC would be a good idea for your daughter to get more experience in different situations. I would continue as you are hacking is great for them but I would maybe stop the rein back, it can make them a little backward thinking, and try leg yielding and turns on the forehand to get him moving away from the leg.

Hunting is probably best left until your daughter has more confidence in different situations with him, a bad experience can take a long time to get over, look at going in the autumn at the start of next season hunting is quieter then and more suitable for the less experienced.

maree t

Visit site
Hi, we have a 6 yr old NF gelding, he is the most inquisative (sp) pony I have ever known . We backed him at 3 and a half just because he was getting so difficult because he was bored. He doesnt care what he is doing as long as it is something. He went to Hickstead inter branch last year and is jumping nearly 4 foot (on a surface) He is nearly 7 and we took things way too slowly for him at the start but used loads of pole work at the start.
I wouldnt think of taking him hunting yet , but if you can join your daughter up with the pony club it will give you so much more scope for trying different things you might even be able to cadge a lift. Can you get some mounted games type kit (we make most of our own) and "play" with that with him. It sounds like you are going to have your work cut out keeping him entertained. Good luck

billylula

Visit site
You are absolutely right he is very inquisitive! We'll try and vary his activity a lot more. My daughter did take him to a rally but he was a little bit nappy and naughty and she then didn't want to take him to any more (Kids! I'd take him if I could pass for a 12 year old!).

Just about to take hiim out with a couple of friends and their horses which I think he will love, he loves company. I think he will enjoy jumping, he has done a bit but he is a bit 'lazy' (think NF stubborn!!) and prefers to trot round (typical I thnk).

tristar

Visit site
he will be better for not doing too much too young, although you could do more as he is 6, have a plan for spring.

he is doing the most important thing a young horse should do, being ridden forward and straight, keep him going till spring and his schooling will be all the better for it.

be positive

Visit site
I have had lazy NF but never a stubborn one, they have all loved their jumping once they get going and are often very talented. If PC is not an option lessons would be good for them both and may get him going so that PC is easier another time, most ponies can be awkward at times and your daughter should not feel that PC will not be used to it and worse, she should try again when she is more established with the pony.