7.5t or HGV test

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Looks like we're getting a transport upgrade in the near future, to a smallish 7.5t.

I have to do a test to drive it, in the past I've seen people say you should just do the hgv one as it was about the same cost.

Is that still the case? What is the test like and do people tend to do a few lessons then go for the test immediately?

Also if anyone has recommendations for testing/training in the south hereford/ West glos area please let me know :)

Last edited:

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
It costs a little more but you may as well go for the HGV test, at the end of it you will be able to drive a greater range of vehicles. Also very often you will get greater value buying a HGV than a 7.5ton LGB.

ROG

Visit site
Check out the HHO LGV CLINIC link below in my signature unless you want to get fleeced

The LGV C1 and C tests are identical (HGV went in the early 80s !)

Often the C1 test is done in a large 5 tonne-ish van and not a lorry with air brakes etc so the real experience is not gained during training

Consider doing a residential course with a provider such as PETER SMYTHE LGV TRAINING

pippixox

Visit site
Definitely go for hgv. There are plenty of people with ‘old person rights’ to drive 7.5 t so it still keeps th prices up- plus the payload on some 7.5 is rubbish- could not actually use all the stalls without going over weight wise, unless you have very basic living.

My husband has his hgv1! But I can’t justify an articulated lorry horse box 😛

ROG

Visit site
Driving a LGV over 7.5 does put the driver under full EU regs so if working Mon to Fri then that means driving it for only one day every other weekend due to weekly rest laws

milliepops

Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. I don't intend to drive over 7.5t but you just never know where life takes you. So it just seemed like it would make sense not to be limited by my license, given that I have to do a test either way.

Will have a look at your links ROG :)

whiteflower

Visit site
Driving a LGV over 7.5 does put the driver under full EU regs so if working Mon to Fri then that means driving it for only one day every other weekend due to weekly rest laws
Rog, can you explain this a bit further. We are looking in to getting a 18t and for hubby to do his test. He works mon-fri in the office and drives there and back in his car everyday. Does this mean he would only be able to drive it one day every other weekend or does that apply to people who drive for a living ?

ROG

Visit site
In simple terms - the non driving job cannot count as rest hours for the EU regs

Example
Works as an office bod from mon to fri 9 to 6

Weekend 1
Drives on sat 6am to 8am and then from 6pm to 8pm
8pm sat to 9am mon = 37 hours so less than a full 45 hours regular rest - that leaves 8 hours to payback

Weekend 2
Finishes fri 6pm and starts mon 9am = 63 hours so easily 45+8

Eu rules state that a full regular 45 unbroken rest must be taken at least every other week
On the week between two regular rests a reduced weekly rest can be taken of at least 24 unbroken hours

whiteflower

Visit site
Thanks Rog, I had no idea that an office job would be counted. Surely there are loads of people out driving their over 7.5t lorries that arnt adhering to this ! Anyone that is out regularly competing every weekend and working a 9-5 are surely going to fall foul of these regs at some point. I had no idea. Looks like I'll be taking my test too then ! Thanks for the info

milliepops

Visit site
Consider doing a residential course with a provider such as PETER SMYTHE LGV TRAINING
had a look at their website earlier and it looks like a great idea to be able to go away for a few days and *hopefully* come back with it all done o_O

Do you know of any similar set ups a bit further south? I'm in Herefordshire (just), gloucestershire and south east wales also easily accessible.

eggs

Visit site
I did my hgv about 15 years ago . Drove for 4 consecutive days with one other trainee - we did about 2 hours driving and then swapped over. Took the test on the 5th day and both of us passed 😀

milliepops

Visit site
I did my hgv about 15 years ago . Drove for 4 consecutive days with one other trainee - we did about 2 hours driving and then swapped over. Took the test on the 5th day and both of us passed 😀

good to hear :) I'm a bit apprehensive about having another driving test :eek:
Having driven horses around in a 3.5t quite a bit, I think I might also be a bit slow and over cautious... is that a thing with the LGV? I failed my first car test aged 17 for hesitating when I gave way to a double decker bus that was going uphill :oops:

but dead excited about the new wheels, will be SOOOO nice having a proper bed etc when we stay away.

ROG

Visit site
FREE accommodation with PS training - see the trucknetuk site for more info as PS are the sponsors of the newbies forum - 10% off if you join the free site

EventingMum

Visit site
As long as you're not fazed by driving a big vehicle go for the C test as it definitely gives more opportunities and as others have said vehicles over 7.5t tend to be better value for money. The downside is the driver regs. When my son took his, he was trained in an 18t with split gearbox which proves tricky for some people, some 7.5t training is taken in a large van which may be less daunting. He found he was encouraged to drive much quicker than he would with horses on board so as not to hold up traffic, he also hesitated pulling out of a junction as a fire engine with blues and twos on was approaching - apparently, he should have pulled out and then pulled over to let it pass.

BethanT

Visit site
I did my HGV, with split gears! Initially went to do 7.5t but the guy on the phone told me it was the same cost thereabout as the HGV. I did mine in 3 days with the test on the fourth. One instructor, but two of us in the cab learning, so you got about 7-8 hours cab time but only driving for half of it.

I think they do generally want you to move on a bit as that was the thing my instructor kept reminding me - that although I was doing the test to drive a horsebox, I didn't have horses in the back, so once you get over that then you should be fine. You are only really going up a class of vehicle, so in theory easier than trailer test (two friends failed their trailer tests, and one drives a trailer all the time within regs).

The bonus is that I can look at compact HGV's or 7.5 tonners that can be upgraded so that I can have a good payload without compromising on living or anything else. The initial outlay of the vehicle tends to be a touch smaller too, but I don't think the general running costs is that much deerer.

eggs

Visit site
good to hear :) I'm a bit apprehensive about having another driving test :eek:
Having driven horses around in a 3.5t quite a bit, I think I might also be a bit slow and over cautious... is that a thing with the LGV? I failed my first car test aged 17 for hesitating when I gave way to a double decker bus that was going uphill :oops:

but dead excited about the new wheels, will be SOOOO nice having a proper bed etc when we stay away.

The main thing to remember is that you are not learning / being tested for driving horses but as a commercial driver. You definitely have to keep up with the traffic and no crawling round corners and creeping onto roundabouts. Plenty of very obvious checking of all mirrors, don't stop in a keep clear area and no going down roads that don't allow vehicles over 7.5 tons (one of the test routes where I took my test had one of these).