7 years ago...

trendybraincell

Visit site
Can't believe it but today is my 7 year "owniversary" with one Welsh Cob :eek:

Warning: the pictures that follow contain some hatless riders

I was actually out looking at something else, but since this particular beast was relatively close I thought it wouldn't hurt to go have a look :rolleyes: What I saw was an ill mannered, hairy beast! I couldn't actually get close enough to touch him!! But when he was trotted up, I heard music playing and I knew I'd found the horse for me :rolleyes:

DSCF0185-1.jpg

In hindsight, buying an unbroken rising 3yr old for my first horse was rather daft. If I'm honest I really didn't have the knowledge or experience, but what I did have was a network of very knowledgable people that helped me along the way. So our journey began...

Backing him was not unlike riding a donkey at Weston Beach :eek: he took everything in his stride and really didn't seem phased by anything. The early days we spent hacking and a little work in the school. Sadly no pictures of the early days on the computer :(

I moved to a small private yard with two friends, where I started a bit more in the school. We started hacking out on our own, did a spot of unaffiliated dressage and low level showing. Sadly a sequence of events led to me having to relocate very suddenly, at the time this was a huge deal as it essentially meant I left that group of people that had helped me through the backing process. I really didn't know if I was ready to step out on my own, but I had no choice so I moved to probably one of the most expensive yards about...it was a very SUDDEN move :eek:

It's here our dressage training started. I started having lessons with the GP YO, and found that I really enjoyed the training and loved learning new things myself along the way.

DSCF0148.jpg

At the same time the big slim down began. I ashamed to say I was rather blind to just how fat he'd gotten!! But with carefully controlled diet and lots of work we went from...

DSCF0135-1.jpg

to...

DSCF0249.jpg

We did our first BD competition

DSCF0501.jpg

Then as we moved up to Novice he went lame, not hopping but I knew something wasn't right. After the usual box rest I told the vet there was nothing to see so I was bring him in for further examination. A scan & xray showed he'd ruptured his suspensory ligament and chipped bone off the sesamoid. He was operated on and we began several months of rehab. He quickly became impossible to walk in hand so I made the decision to get on board. We walked for what felt like months!!

At the same time, I heard about a new yard a few miles from my house. I went to have a look and was in love :) So after 2 years of learning SO much I moved on again. The rehab work continued at the new yard.

IMG_4600.jpg

I also started training with my best friend, who I'd meet at the previous yard.

DSCF1292.jpg

We did some more local showing, which I can safely say I'm so bored doing :eek:

DSCF1636.jpg

But he does look lovely & shiny!!

We went to the beach for my birthday

DSC_0689.jpg

DSCF1033.jpg

DSCF1348.jpg

We went to the Area Festival, and finished 6th
DSCF1021-1.jpg

We scored a wildcard to the Winter Nationals to compete at the Area Festival Championship. In the run up I'd not ridden a mistake free test for some time, so had given myself something of a complex, trying to remember before going in...

208797_10150549592365462_774135461_17958444_6108230_n.jpg

I was so proud of him that day, we finished 5th in the first round. Sadly 5 hours later in the second round he'd lost his sparkle and we finished 27th but he'd already done more for me than I could ever wish!

I ruptured a ligament in my knee so had reconstructive surgery. I didn't want him out of work so best friend/trainer travelled down from Oxford 4 times a week to school him for me :eek:
He was good...
IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

He was not so good...

IMG_4243.jpg

He broke the school fencing :eek: Although I didn't a photo of that!!

I got back in the saddle and had to learn to ride a totally different beast! He'd gone from being a goo Novice horse to something much more, he learnt changes, the lateral work was more polished...it took me a long time to feel like I could get a tune out of him!

We did some more jumping

IMG_4572-1.jpg

We went out and seriously started to campaign at elementary. We won our first outing post op which I felt so happy about.

We don't get to go compete very often, but he never fails me (can't say the same about the rider!). He has given me so much, I can take him anywhere, ask him anything and he will try his little heart out. At times I thought buying an unbroken 3yr old was the most stupid thing, but I landed on my feet with this one...and despite receiving a VERY generous offer last year he will never be sold :D

IMG_0062-1.jpg

Happy owniversary Shadow :D

Sorry if I bored you all

trendybraincell

Visit site
Thank you everyone...made me a little emotional writing that, makes me realise how special he is to me and what a fabulous little horse he is!

star

Visit site
Welsh Cobs are the best! Happy anniversary :) Gorgeous piccies - he is a real looker. I will have had my old lad 11yrs on my birthday a week Sunday - he also took me to the Area Festival Finals. They are such lovely horses - love mine to pieces!

fruity

Visit site
Ahh that was such a lovely post to read,well done to both of you,i just hope i can do the same in 7 yrs time with my new 2 yr old i bought recently. Hope you both enjoy each other for many more years to come x