H&H News - Rider injured in accident seeks nearly £10m damages

Hanno Verian

Visit site
"A riding instructor who suffered serious injuries in a car crash in 2014 is hoping to win nearly £10m in damages.

Sharon Kelsall now hopes to compete in the Paralympics but says she needs up to £100,000 for a horse, and an arena, to achieve her aim.

Before the accident Miss Kelsall was “not a high earner”, the barrister told the judge, Sir Robert Francis.

But much of her claim is to pay for “continuing support to enable her to engage in horses and riding, and to engage with the disabled riding pathway”.

Her lawyers say she will need a suitable horse – valued at £25,000 to £100,000 – and assistants to get to the Paralympics.

Miss Kelsall’s barrister, Niall MacLean, said her “severely disabled right arm” makes riding awkward, while she also “cannot walk any distance”.

Before the accident, she also earned money by making cheese, he said, adding: “She won’t be able to return to cheese-making”.

Speaking of her desire to train as a top disabled rider, Sir Robert said: “She has ambitions to become a Paralympian.

“For that purpose it is said she needs to have a field next door to her house in which to keep her horses – and an arena in which to ride.”

Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/rider-injured-accident-seeks-nearly-10m-damages-647545#3LAeahIjgZsgduPm.99"

WTF - I am really sorry for Miss Kelsall and fully accept that she has suffered significant injuries, but why should I and any other motorists insurance policy in effect fund someone's bid for Olympic Glory.

I completely support that she has a property that makes reasonable adjustment to allow her to live as much as possible a normal life similar to before the accident, but to me this seems to be taking the mickey and potentially could impact insurance cost and there is a bit of me that thinks this smacks of ambulance chasing lawyers and the tendency to inflate claims...What do people think??

I know two people who have suffered really life changing injuries within their 20's in the last ten years, both of them rode at a high level but neither expected their injury compensation to fund a Paralympic career??