9.5 acres - what would you do?

emmykins

Visit site
Hi everyone, i'm new here and have been reading the posts and thought i'd join!
At the moment i am in the process of buying a 9.5 acre field. It's going to be a while before it all goes through, only just applied for planning permission for stables and so on, so i was just wondering generally what other people would do with the land in my situation?
I currently only have one horse and will be buying a second to keep him company. Obviously 9.5 acres is more than enough grazing for two horses but the field was too good to turn down! So what would you do......offer grass livery, diy livery (should have a spare stable), neither, something else, any other suggestions?

Also, assuming it's just my two to begin with, how would you split the grazing? it is divided into a 4 acre and 5.5 acre field at the mo, and assuming the horses will be out 24/7 in summer and stabled at night in winter. I know im getting a bit ahead of myself but i like to plan!
smile.gif

Thanks

Bossanova

Visit site
Personally, I'd keep the 5.5 acres to myself and get a local farmer to cut hay off it for you- thus ultimately saving money on hay bills and putting the land to good use without having the intrusion of liveries. Obviously that depends on the quality of a the land but 4 acres should see them through most of the year if you manage it right

Tia

Visit site
Firstly congratulations on your purchase.

Secondly, welcome to the forum.

If the field were mine then I think I would use one field for spring/summer grazing and use the larger for autumn/winter grazing, then pull the horses off that field in March and see if I could find a local farmer to cut this field for hay in July. Then you would have your winter hay but still plenty of grass for summer.

I wouldn't offer the field to liveries until I had built the stables as most Brits seem to prefer to stable their horses over winter, however you could offer some summer grass livery if you are finding that your horses can't keep up with the growth of grass.

severnmiles

Visit site
Also, after making haylage (if you decide to do this) let the fields grow and then put some sheep from a farmer on tac, it will do the fields the world of good! You can't keep cutting hay off of it without putting something back. The sheep don't rip the grass like horses (who rip the roots out), their poop fertilisers the land and they eat everything that fussy horses won't touch so it should grow back a much better quality.

Tia

Visit site
Good idea SM - and sheep are great for deworming pastures! I used to be a big fan of species-rotation when I lived in the UK.

Claireg9

Visit site
I would have 5 stables and two barns for storage of hay, rugs tack etc etc!
I would also put in a menage. There should be plenty of room left for up to 5 horse with field rotation and still leaving some to cut for hay. It just has to be managed correctly! I a tres jealous as thats what i want to do, and just have a couple of my friends there with me to help pay off the field. Where abouts are you? and how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking?? Im curious as im on the look out and have no idea what is a good price and what is not.
Do you have water and electrics there?

OWLIE185

Visit site
I have about 60 acres and two good dooers both prone to Laminitis so they are in a small third of an acre area!

I don't have any liveris as it is more aggro then it is worth and there is the possibility of also being then charged commercial rates.

I do however allow locals to ride over about 55 acres of it and 25 acres of that are taken for hay. Farmer deals with it all - gives me some of the hay ( a years supply for my two) and takes the rest away.

You can also claim your single area payment which will contribute to your expenses - you can,t belive how much it costs to maintain grassland properly!

emmykins

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, i haven't actually got the field yet,our offer has been accepted subject to us getting planning permission for the stables so just waiting for it all to go through. I will be having 3 stables, hay store and a tack room/4th stable. Unfortunately i won't be able to afford a menage too, but i mainly hack so shouldn't be too much of a problem. I had already thought of making my own hay so it's something to look into!

filly190

Visit site
I would do as the others suggest. I have 7 acres for three horses, which means they have good ground all the year round.

Remember this summer when the sun burnt off the grass and we were all left with partched fields.

Also paddocks managed correctly need a rest. The other reason is worm control and poo picking. If you have liveries, d.i.y is out of your control a little.

If would be nice to have a financial contribution to help go towards your costs, however, I have done this and never, and I mean never again.

Remember the small amount of money you get, you have to

renew/replace broken fencing
sort out pouched areas
spray
land management and all that jargan

The most cost effective method of the land, would be your own hay.

The other problems people forget about, is the horses bonding and causing problems, mare's coming into season all the time, and kicking through fencing.

Its a whole barrage of problems which does add up. When you do the sums, its something best left alone.

airedale

Visit site
You may well have a tack room - but just don't don't don't leave ANY tack in it. It'll get nicked. They've just done 4 yards similar to what you are proposing round me - all with tack in nice little tack rooms and everything got nicked - in one case they took the roof off to get in.

Also don't even dream of gettin PP to live there unless you are prepared to wait for 20 years

Finally - you'll need full public liability insurance if you have any liveries of any sort. Also - see H&H this week =- there is new legislation in the pipeline that will come into effect next year that will mean you will have to undergo a full inspection if you offer livery !!!