A “which class to enter” (BE80 or 90) thread

Reacher

Visit site
As it looks like I have to wait a day or 2 for the BE website to process my PAYG tickets before I can enter... I have a similar dilemma to Michen’s recentl thread about what height class to enter.

Short story is we have done umpteen BE 80 and unaff 85 cm (over a BE course - it was basically the previous week’s BE90 minus a couple of the hardest questions) and instructor is suggesting entering the 90 cm next as there aren’t any 85 cm unaffiliated options to enter. Also she thinks horse would be a bit more polite over a bigger fence. (He is quite keen!). I’m unsure - mainly as I’m not sure I’m accurate enough - and was I’m going to play safe and enter BE80.

I’m not brave enough to put up videos for everyone to criticise ? but I’d be grateful if someone tactful would be willing to view an 85 SJ and XC video from the same venue please and give their opinion.

Horse is a dinky 15hh so a 5cm increase seems relatively larger than to someone on a 16.3 ?

Michen

Visit site
Haha I feel your pain! What made my decision was not coming out of my last two 90’s like I did the 90 before that- which was feeling like we could show jump the moon!

So how confident did you feel coming out of your last SJ and did you wish the jumps were bigger?

Until I feel like that again I’m sticking at 90. And I’m using tomorrow as a schooling exercise to regain some control in the jumping phases even if it means circling or whatnot and ending on a cricket score.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Reacher

Visit site
Haha I feel your pain! What made my decision was not coming out of my last two 90’s like I did the 90 before that- which was feeling like we could show jump the moon!

So how confident did you feel coming out of your last SJ and did you wish the jumps were bigger?

Until I feel like that again I’m sticking at 90. And I’m using tomorrow as a schooling exercise to regain some control in the jumping phases even if it means circling or whatnot and ending on a cricket score.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thankyou- I was really pleased with our last 85 but I wanted to do another 85 - but don’t have the option - 80 is starting to feel too low but 90 looks scarey!

Good luck tomorrow!

TheMule

Visit site
I wouldn’t hesitate to enter a 90 if you're both confident at 80- you don’t see the same jump up in technicality and requirement precision as you do for going from 90-100 IMO

Jango

Visit site
I think it depends on the venue too, you want to be doing your first step up at a 'soft' venue. E.g. round my way somerford is big and bold, whereas kelsall or Stafford are more straight forward. You can check the completion stats on eventing scores to help if you don't have anyone to ask! Ultimately a step up is always a bit nerve wracking, but if you've had a couple of confident clears XC, your instructor thinks you're ready and you're happy training over BE90 fences you'll likely be fine!!

Squeak

Visit site
Have you jumped many 90 fences at home or many 90 sj courses? For me I want the level I'm competing at eventing to feel and look small.

Generally if I'm questioning it then I'm not ready to step up.

claracanter

Visit site
I’m in a similar position to you . I won a couple of 80’s and got placed in a 90 as my last event last year. This season has been a mixed bag. I’m very comfortable at 80 and the SJ and XC look small now but I haven’t had a clear XC yet at 90 this season.
It definitely depends on the venue as to how beefy the 90 is. Sometimes the UA PC ones are quite bold because they are qualifiers whereas often the BE ones at the beginning of the season are a bit kinder. I don’t know why that in my head, just 10cms bigger makes the XC look huge!!

Last edited:

Reacher

Visit site
B
I think it depends on the venue too, you want to be doing your first step up at a 'soft' venue. E.g. round my way somerford is big and bold, whereas kelsall or Stafford are more straight forward. You can check the completion stats on eventing scores to help if you don't have anyone to ask! Ultimately a step up is always a bit nerve wracking, but if you've had a couple of confident clears XC, your instructor thinks you're ready and you're happy training over BE90 fences you'll likely be fine!!

Basically I have already ridden most of the BE90 course at that venue in the unaff 85 cm competition (if that makes sense).

Reacher

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I probably wasn’t very clear in my OP - basically I was wanting someone to have a look at a couple of videos of our unaff 85cm classes from the same venue I was considering entering BE90 , as sanity check as to whether to stay at be80.

Anyway to update I have just put in an entry at be80.

claracanter

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I probably wasn’t very clear in my OP - basically I was wanting someone to have a look at a couple of videos of our unaff 85cm classes from the same venue I was considering entering BE90 , as sanity check as to whether to stay at be80.

Anyway to update I have just put in an entry at be80.
I’ll have a look at your videos if you’d like

Leandy

Visit site
If you are happily schooling round 90s (and not just the odd 90 fence) then enter the 90. If not, then I would step up the schooling and see if I could find some full 90 courses open for schooling (as some are straight after an event). If those went well, then I would enter the 90. You really need to be schooling at a more advanced level than you are competing for the competing to feel really comfortable.