A 4YO - Suggestions please on working & then turning away

jaquelin

Visit site
I know the young horse is often backed and "turned away" ( somewhat definition-free phrase, methinks), but what about working a 4YO post backing for a period of time and then turning away? I have just got an RID, who I suspect may/should end up much bigger than he is at present. I am not experienced in this, having usually bought older horses.
I was thinking of working him gently for a period now, through Spring-Summer perhaps, lots of groundwork, polework, and a bit of exposure to shows, ridden hunter classes, walk & trot dressage, and then maybe giving him autumn-winter off, to chill out and grow more.
Does this sound suitable? Would it be sensible to shorten the working season? How will he respond when he is brought back in as a 5YO? If anyone who has done this and can give me any advice & guidance it would be much appreciated.

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
I also usually buy older horses, but have just bought a 4 1/2 year old. He was backed a little later as was expected to grow bigger, but didn't. I did wander whether turning away would be a good idea- but the guy who owned him (olympic event rider) suggested that keeping him going would be good, unless he shows signs of needing to be turned away.

I think you just have to go on what the horse is telling you- if they suddenly become stale/unresponsive/difficult, maybe they need some time off. Just listen to the horse I think- what I am going on with my new one anyway! He is currently very happy, enjoying his work and generally loving life, so we are going to get him out competing and see what happens!

g&tanyone?

Visit site
I have just done this with my boy! I bring him back in sort of march time so I will let you know!!! However I will say I worked he was telling me he was happy but come the August I could tell he needed a real break!

Abacus

Visit site
I am in exactly the same place with a rising 5 year old IDx - also a big gangly lad with some growing to do. In normal circumstances I would probably have worked him for a couple of months after buying him last September, and then given him some time off over winter, before bringing him back in the spring. However I am pregnant (due in May) so I have kept him going until now and will go for as long as I can ride before then giving him two to three months off in spring - early summer, probably from March to May, then I might enlist some help getting him back in work (depending on how i cope!).

I'm doing it to suit me but he is going nicely and still learning. Also (apparently) young horses grow quicker once the warmer weather starts (my saddler told me this - is it a non-urban myth?) so I felt that it was better to work him now while he isn't growing so much, then let him have spring and the nice grass and some rest time to grow and mature, before we start again. He seems happy at the moment as long as his work is varied and schooling kept short and interesting.

Good luck!

wildcard

Visit site
Interested to see responses to this as im in similar situation.. id decided to work during the summer and get my 4 year old out and about as long and shes happy and coping okay then give her a couple of months of end of year to mature and grow as she too has a huge amount of growing to do (not to much i hope) currently standing at 16.2/3. im only 5ft 4 :/