A bad lesson

NoodlesHalloween

Visit site
So just wondered on peoples opinions, I had possibly the worst lesson ever yesterday. Pony was one that I have ridden before and aware they spook but literally refused to go forward at all, when we did walked around like a banana stopping constantly and when I tried to going on a circle we literally went for a spin and dive to the point I think I was an unwelcome passenger. My instructor was lovely but looked concerned and to be fair I dont really feel like I actually had a lesson at all. Not sure whether to complain or just accept it as pony having an off day and at least I stayed in the saddle.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
So just wondered on peoples opinions, I had possibly the worst lesson ever yesterday. Pony was one that I have ridden before and aware they spook but literally refused to go forward at all, when we did walked around like a banana stopping constantly and when I tried to going on a circle we literally went for a spin and dive to the point I think I was an unwelcome passenger. My instructor was lovely but looked concerned and to be fair I dont really feel like I actually had a lesson at all. Not sure whether to complain or just accept it as pony having an off day and at least I stayed in the saddle.
I think I would at least express concern that either the pony had a bad day or was in pain so not being co-operative. I don't think I would just let it go as someone else might be injured by it.

NoodlesHalloween

Visit site
I think I would at least express concern that either the pony had a bad day or was in pain so not being co-operative. I don't think I would just let it go as someone else might be injured by it.
I did raise concern to my instructor stating either our odd weather right now or possibly uncomfortable as I have never had her act like that previously but I havent ridden her in particular for a while.

Kunoichi73

Visit site
I've had a similar issue in the past. Pony was insanely shaking his head, not wanting to go forward, got 10 times worse in rising trot. Cut the lesson short and went to investigate. Turned out one of the helpers had put the wrong saddle on him and it must have been pinching. Viewed it as a learning experience recognising pain symptoms in the pony.

If I have an issue with a pony at the RS, I always report it to the staff. They are pretty good at following up and checking the pony for issues.

Last edited:
Visit site
I would ask for a different horse/pony for your next lesson. It is helpful to have a connection between horse and rider.
If it was as you say 'the worst lesson ever', well things can only get better [fact].