A big thumbs up to Horscrocz

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
My older Appy mare had a nasty abcess opened up in her front foot last week, so after much poulticing she is now much better, but fed up of being in. I have waterproofed her foot, but was concerned about her slipping on the water proof tape. I looked at a number of options and then sent for a horsecroc yesterday. I had an email conversation with the owner of the company and the item arrived this afternoon. The Appy went out with it on and came back in with everything still where it should be :) I am ever so happy with it and hope we don't need it for too long, but at least she can get out and hasn't lost it in the mud :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Glad to read that as just ordered one on recommendation from a couple of friends.

I've had two abscesses in two feet simultaneously on two horses within two weeks.

Ideally I need two but going to get one and see how it fits. Mine should come tomorrow if they are as fast as that.

YorksG

Visit site
Have never heard of these.. had to google I had images of your girly in crocs!!
Well I did get her an orange one :D
Glad to read that as just ordered one on recommendation from a couple of friends.

I've had two abscesses in two feet simultaneously on two horses within two weeks.

Ideally I need two but going to get one and see how it fits. Mine should come tomorrow if they are as fast as that.
I was very impressed with the speed and the quality and I may order another for in case! I got the medium and think it should fit both Appy's (hope that won't be necessary and the large should fit the bigger girls

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I ordered the large but mine have ridiculously enormous feet. I got orange as well. I'm assuming you could just get the right size of cable ties rather than buying their ones?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
These look super. My friends heavy Breton mare has had a few abscesses and keeping the dressings on is a nightmare...this might just be an awesome alternative to Gorrila tape :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Top class service and excellent easy to use product.

C2B6F0D4-DE16-4CEB-80E7-7439BB91039F_zpsu9gisjwd.jpg

0C6C7C0E-FC5F-4D99-A11E-81EB38C3D3E6_zpsg0xmojoi.jpg

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Wow, they look brilliant! I have always used a Davis boot, which work well, but they are a devil to get on and off!

I usually duct tape a feed bag on but it's ineffective and as you say getting it on and off is a nightmare. This was just under £30 inc delivery and I think it would save a fortune in duct tape not to mention the time and hassle.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My older Appy mare had a nasty abcess opened up in her front foot last week, so after much poulticing she is now much better, but fed up of being in. I have waterproofed her foot, but was concerned about her slipping on the water proof tape. I looked at a number of options and then sent for a horsecroc yesterday. I had an email conversation with the owner of the company and the item arrived this afternoon. The Appy went out with it on and came back in with everything still where it should be :) I am ever so happy with it and hope we don't need it for too long, but at least she can get out and hasn't lost it in the mud :)

Never heard of these but will look into them as my boy is on box rest with an abscess and another week in. These would save be making a nappy boot with duct tape

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Oh yes that is an idea asommerville as we have a barefoot tb here that is often going footsore. My only quarm is our gateway muddy so the foot may get wet but cannot find many plastic bag strong enough as you have to pay for them all.

I think bin liner ones too thin!!! Hummm*ponders* Ah HA I wonder if shavings bags would work I could cut a square out. Think I might get one of these boots to try for my boy when he is allowed back out once the abscess has dried out. I usually (like others) make a duck tape boot. Or could use one of the barefoot boots but they are pricey.

Last edited:

Hanson

Visit site
Thank you for posting.

Timely, as mare pulled shoe yesterday...start of silly season for her until her seasons settle down in the spring. Let's hope it's just a one off (I wish).

I've looked at theses before but thought them pricey, not knowing if they were effective. Will order one I think as my current method of vet wrap and gaffa tape is a pain to do, and expensive in the long run.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The medium size bags supplied by courier companies for sending parcels in are fantastic for hooves - right size and very strong :) You know, those ones where you pop the goods in, pull off a strip and stick it shut and bung a label on. I cut them in half diagonally and put the foot into the corner.

Those horscrocz look brilliant!

QueenDee_

Visit site
AAH! Have just gone through a whole week cursing my youngster because she keeps wearing through her poultices (only on for a day at a time, multiple layers with feed bags/tape etc- never had one manage to wear through them before even with shoes on).

These look fab, such a good idea.

FW- is the plastic very hardwearing? ie, how long would you expect the Horsecroc to last for?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
AAH! Have just gone through a whole week cursing my youngster because she keeps wearing through her poultices (only on for a day at a time, multiple layers with feed bags/tape etc- never had one manage to wear through them before even with shoes on).

These look fab, such a good idea.

FW- is the plastic very hardwearing? ie, how long would you expect the Horsecroc to last for?

It's not overly thick but seems strong and the plastic is very hard with a slim horse shoe shaped grip on the sole. Thinner than the tread on hoof boots but much harder plastic.

I think with the nature of why it would be used, the horse is likely to not be moving much while wearing it anyway so I'm hopeful it will last a long time. My horse is on hardcore which will challenge them wear wise so I will let you know. I hope I won't need it for more than a few days!

Certainly longer than duct tape, which at about 3 quid plus a roll and only covering about three dressings per roll, would soon cover the cost of one at about 28 inc postage. The cable ties are just cable ties so you could replace them with bog standard ones.

A couple of friends recommended them to me, and one said one of her liveries has been using them for about a year (not sure what's wrong with the horse!).

YorksG

Visit site
They deffinitely stay on under testing circumstances! The said Appy and the Draught mare managed to break through the electric fencing this afternoon, dragged the tape round a bit, (possibly trying to tie the sheep up in it) terrorized the youngsters, having to go through the deep ground to do so. The vet wrap and tape have kept the foot dry and the croc has kept everything in place and must have stopped her slipping, which she did on the tape!

QueenDee_

Visit site
It's not overly thick but seems strong and the plastic is very hard with a slim horse shoe shaped grip on the sole. Thinner than the tread on hoof boots but much harder plastic.

I think with the nature of why it would be used, the horse is likely to not be moving much while wearing it anyway so I'm hopeful it will last a long time. My horse is on hardcore which will challenge them wear wise so I will let you know. I hope I won't need it for more than a few days!

Certainly longer than duct tape, which at about 3 quid plus a roll and only covering about three dressings per roll, would soon cover the cost of one at about 28 inc postage. The cable ties are just cable ties so you could replace them with bog standard ones.

A couple of friends recommended them to me, and one said one of her liveries has been using them for about a year (not sure what's wrong with the horse!).

Sounds good, I'll be ordering one asap!

People who already have them, please could you measure the cable ties they come with? What length would i need for one of the large horsecrocz?