A big thumbs up to Horscrocz

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I am finding the zip ties very hard to pull and tighten

I think you might be trying to tighten them too much, I thought the same as you to start with, but found that if I pullled them as tight as I could by hand they were tight enough when the mare was turned out and there was enough room to cut the tie when I wanted to take it off again. You do need to be at the right angle to pull them tight enough.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
With cable ties, you don't pull on the long bit like doing a buckle up, you push the head down the tail instead. You might also find it easier of you put the ridged side to the outside.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
They aren't hard to tighten at all so think you need to adjust your technique. I make sure I thread it through so the head is at the front of the foot so it's easy to see what I'm doing.

sem9999

Visit site
On side note regarding the cable ties -not sure they are the same as standard cable ties, they do feel very thick and more substantial. The web site seems says they have a special weakened area designed to break in case they get caught.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
On side note regarding the cable ties -not sure they are the same as standard cable ties, they do feel very thick and more substantial. The web site seems says they have a special weakened area designed to break in case they get caught.

They are standard cable ties with a hole punched in them.

If I were worried about them being caught I would simply use thinner ones.

However, I'm not worried as I can't see there is any chance of my horse getting it caught on anything in my set up and with her temperament.

The exact ones are available at both the agri shops I use, if you were keen you could drill holes yourself.

Spoke to a lady who has been using hers for 5 months and it's still as good as new. (She uses cable ties from another source as well).

MagicMelon

Visit site
Wish I'd known about these before I bought the bag type poultice protection which one night rubbed my mares pasterns raw and now mud fever seems to have set in :( Glad to hear your absess has cleared up. Been battling with my mares one since early December - vet came out yet again this morning and cut out a bit part of her hoof wall to try and open it up and finally get rid of it. Currently rock solid in the field which is good for keeping it clean but may get one of these crocz in case it thaws and gets muddy (my stables are still drying out after badly flooding recently).