A bit concerned

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Well, recently whenever i've ridden rock, when i first go into trot he feels lame. and yet once hes warmed up hes sound as a pound, and it only happens when im schooling him, never when im out and about (for example he was fine when i went XC schooling when i was warming up) any ideas?

Frazer

Visit site
How old is rocky, it could be he is just a bit stiff to start of with, try doing more exercises in walk, circles transititions etc.. before going up into trot. Or if he isn't stiff and this doesn't work, try giving him a break of about a week or so and see if this helps.

RachelB

Visit site
Stiffness? The 18yo I ride is usually slightly unlevel until she has warmed up, as is my 10yo who is naturally short-striding to the point where people ask me if she is lame or footsore, but once she has had a good canter to open her shoulders up and warm up her muscles, she's fine.
Other than that I don't know.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Might sound stupid but Eric has been the same, vet put it down to change of going (from rock hard to sticky wet) but this affected his XC too. Maybe he is a little stiff if you havnt been doing too much with him?