A Bit Fed Up - George's RAO

Gorgeous George

Visit site
The good news is that the inhalers that George has been on for his RAO/COPD do seem to be having an effect, he is couging less, his breathing rate has gone down and there are no wheezy noises on his chest :D

So when the vet came back on Weds to rescope him I was feeling positive, the scoping did show that there was less mucus etc in his trachea, especially lower down, but there was still quite a bit at the top :( Then the vet rang me yesterday (bless him he rang from the airport as he was going on holiday!) and the lab results show that there has been no reduction in the number of inflammatory cells :( my vet has asked me to continue with the inhalers at the same dose, and to keep exercising George as he seems fine, and then he will check him again when he returns.

I guess I'm just disappointed as I thought things were improving, but also a little confused as George is obviously much better in himself.

Not sure of the point of this post, but feel better having typed it! :)

TheShark

Visit site
Poor George. At least he seems like he feels better - that's a good thing.

I can't advise on the medical stuff, but if it helps lift your spirits at all, I think George is my favourite HHO horse...

Oberon

Visit site
Try messaging Brucea on here as he has been managing his RAO pony holistically as well as conventionally.

Off the top of my head, Spirulina is supposed to work well and horses with respiratory problems respond well to additional Vitamin C...but as Vitamin C also increases absorption of iron....and forage can be excessively high in iron (which has a negative effect on other minerals) it needs to be given with caution.

This Yahoo group may have more advice
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/wholehorsehealth/

I don't know if there is a dedicated RAO Yahoo group but there is a new support group here
http://phoenixhorse.myfastforum.org/forum16.php

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Sorry .... no words of wisdom, just wanted to send you some hugs. try not to worry too much, George is obviously feeling better, and I am sure being out more through the summer will help. xx

Gorgeous George

Visit site
Just wanted to say thank you all :) George is about to go out on the summer/autumn turnout so he will be out for at least 12hrs a day until Dec time :) (unf 24/7 not possible). I've also been able to move him to a massive outdoor stable so hopefully that will all help.

The good news is that with my vet's agreement I took George to a clear round xc competition today, he flew round the hilly 2'6 course clear :) I was struggling to hold him back and he got his breath back at the end quickly - so something is obviously working :)

Feeling much more positive about things now.

Thanks again.

maxapple

Visit site
Sounds like he is improving!

If it makes you feel a bit better - I have asthma (not the same I know but similar!) and
This time of year I always have to use my inhaler a bit more - it's the pollen, change in the weather etc. But I feel fine when I take my meds so I'm sure George does too x