A bit more flexibility needed

Ravenwood

Visit site
I ride my mare in a french link loose ring snaffle for exercising and schooling and when hunting add a running martingale.

Sometimes (only when hunting) she really sets her jaw solid and pokes her nose forward but is not leaning as such and I seem to have to give her a sharp left/right to bring her back.

She is not strong or hard mouthed, she never pulls and she never tries to take off but we do cover some pretty tough terrain from bogs, to v narrow and steep, stoney tracks, etc and I have to ride her every inch as she doesn't look where she is going and would stumble over anything rather than have the brains to go around!

So I am looking for more flexibility in her mouth and would like your suggestions on how I could try to achieve this - would you try a different noseband, bit or a schooling exercise?

beaconhorse

Visit site
maybe a hanging cheek FL would give you a little poll action to help bring her head down when you need to. Also getting her to listen more to subtle leg aids so that you can push her up into the bridle rather than pulling her nose down

flyingfeet

Visit site
A waterford mouthpeice may help, as they are fluid in the mouth and harder to lock on or lean against.

It just sounds like she is having fun and forgetting you are there! Difficult one to school for without creating same interesting conditions.

Parkranger

Visit site
I've found my boy goes better in a rubber snaffle than a normal french link - you get the nutcracker affect but don't harm the mouth as you could with a metal snaffle....might be worth trying? Mine is quite thin as well (and plastic as opposed to rubber) and he seems to like it.