A bit of a rant

Nayumi1

Visit site
So I keep my horse on a very small livery yard which works perfectly for myself. I am the newest on the yard which has a total of 5 horses (3 geldings and 2 mares). My mare is sharing the field with one other pony who I share poo picking duties with taking it in turns each day.

The main things we are asked by the yard owner:

1. Ensure all electric fencing, after moving the horses, is reconnected and turned on as it feeds the entire yard.
2. Poo picking to be done daily in the summer fields, winter every other day. This is to minimise worms and is written on the contract.
3. There is a pig at the stables that if out needs to put away to bring horses down and if on the weekend morning to let him back out for the day. He is fed twice a day and the containers are made up to feed should we be first there to do it. It involves grabbing the make up bucket and throwing it into his pen.
4. If you are moving your horse and leaving a horse on their own move them to the hardcore paddock at the front with a haynet. (more specifically my horse as she does stress on her own)

We are made aware of this prior to signing up to the stables and it's the persons choice if they wish to keep their horse there.

Now the pony who shares with my mare is owned by two girls, the eldest being 11. It is their first horse so originally were on full livery. They then moved to DIY prior to me moving there. The girls are brought to the stables by a selection of adults whether it is mum, dad, uncle or either of the grandparents. None of which have ever had horses.

I should state first that they are all polite to everyone and the pony fitted in lovely. It started off with a few things being left such as not turning the electric fencing back on, leaving the wired fencing down and not letting the pig out meaning he was penned up all day. Then there were times where on their poo picking days they wouldn't turn up and leave it. The yard owner spoke to them and I started getting msgs on the occasion about poo picking saying they couldn't make it they would do it in the morning. Ok fine it's getting done and not left to me. They wouldn't always pick it all up leaving more for myself. I also on occasions helped out if they couldn't make it in the evening to rug her and feed her.

The yard owner spoke to the family advising to ensure that they turn the electric fencing back on, replace wires etc and the pig as they were concerns of hers. That night they left both electric wires down to the mares field leaving just a small wooden post across (knee high) that could easily have been jumped. I raised this issue as it concerned me and my horse directly. The following night they left another electric fence down that feeds the entire yard. They had moved my mare a couple of times to the hardcore without a haynet as well.

Anyways this week they advised to the yard owner they were moving yards as the poo picking was too onerous on their family and they wanted her stabled in the evening. They then left the poo picking completely on Monday night and asked the next day if I could do both fields. Now i work full time and get to the yard in the dark. I ended up pushing back and saying I have my own plans and I can't be expected to be picking up after them. I thought that was fair?

Anyways the two mares were moved into the winter field on Monday (which is away from the stables and people). Last night I came down to find my mare still in the field by herself. I fetched her down, couldn't tie her up or stable her, she was pacing constantly, sweated up, digging the ground and I could do nothing with her. I've never seen her that stressed. In the end it was the last straw of little things getting to me and I ended up having words with the grandma with the kids in earshot. I explained its about considering the welfare of other horses and they had been asked on more than one occasion to move her to the hardcore.

I very very rarely snap and am rather laid back about things but surely it is not hard to remember those rules? Or is it expecting too much?

be positive

Visit site
I think the YO is expecting too much from young children and various adults who should be responsible but possibly dont really understand the many, if sensible, rules and leave it to the kids, it is why I would never have a child on DIY they just cannot be expected to manage it without some adult help.

I do have 2 girls at livery, the oldest is nearly 11 and there is no way they could cope with doing a really good job poo picking, they would give it a go but miss some, I would never expect them to handle another bigger horse, tie up a haynet for it or even really be happy with them catching their own to bring it in unless supervised, which is why they are on full livery.

In this case I think the YO needs to put them back on full livery or at least assisted until they leave, I suspect the reason they are leaving is because the family know it is too much and want to have an easier winter, I can understand why you are cross but think it needs to be aimed in the right direction not at young children who will get better but often what seems simple to an adult will be more tricky for a child.

I forgot the pig, that certainly needs a better arrangement, the children may be scared of it or more likely just forget it needs to be dealt with and in all honesty it probably needs a separate area away from the horses for everyones benefit.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
before you arrived was their pony on it's own?

My main thought reading your post is that I would be most worried about the insurance implications of an 11 year old handling my horse regularly.

Nayumi1

Visit site
The pony was on her own originally on full livery as she was a show pony and never been mixed in a field with other horses (kept in stables). Luckily my mare and her were very friendly over the fence and then introduced as a pair.

I completely agree that they need a yard that perhaps has less things to do. It needs to be suitable for everyone involved, I like the yard there because I like being more involved with the horse etc. My frustration was more aimed at the adults who were advised on what to do, didn't ensure it happened. Though perhaps I do see the things to remember as easy because I am an adult.

The yard owner has threatened to rehome the pig before but all the livery including the girls said to keep him because he is cute. I say naughty but he's part of the stables so you love him anyways.

The girls are covered by pony club for insurance, my horse is fully insured as well.

Well we are still discussing what to do but it may be that my mare is put in with the geldings. They all get on over the fence, my mare has lived with geldings before. Otherwise maybe take one of the geldings into her field and pair them.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Same as above really you can't expect an 11 year old girl to have all that responsibility, I wouldn't want them moving my horse about either for both of there safety, it's really the yo that is at fault here and you also can't rely on non horsey adults it was a disaster waiting to happen really, you were just the unfortunate one that shared the field.

Nayumi1

Visit site
To be honest I think the Yard Owner was very worried about the issues with having young girls in charge of the pony etc. To begin with when she was doing the Full livery they'd discussed coming down and learning things (the whole family) but it never happened. She was concerned about how the situation would work especially coming up to winter.

I did try to be patient with them, help out where I can etc but it was when it affected my horse that it just bothered me.

Rant is done now though, I will move on to happier things now :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Their pony club insurance is only third party if they were to damage your horse, that is not the scenario I was concerned about TBH.
Honestly there is no way I would allow an unrelated 11 yo to handle my pony without close supervision, certainly not leading to and from the field.

It seems you only have to wait until they leave though and I would have strong words with the YO that they should be on full/assisted until they do so.

Nayumi1

Visit site
I am planning on getting the yard earlier until the weekend for that reason. I need to be early today anyways for the farrier so won't be a problem.

I will definitely keep in mind for future regarding people handling my horse though.