A bit of encouragement required!

PRELover

Visit site
Chalk another statistic up for the equine injury tally!

I had an impromptu flying lesson courtesy of my young man a fraction over 3 weeks ago. I landed on my right shoulder and unsurprisingly - he threw in a MASSIVE buck when he thought some trees were going to eat him alongside the school and so fell from a great height at some speed! - I broke my collar bone rather badly (one fracture at each end and completely displaced - I have a rather pronounced divot in at one end and a lump out at the other!!!) plus 4 or 5 ribs. Whilst this was ENTIRELY down to me not listening to my instincts, I can't help but dwell on the circumstances... It was quite a windy day and, being as he is soooo good about 99.999% of situations, I forgot that he is only 4... I said to myself that I would free school him, but changed my mind at the last minute - lesson learned!

As a consequence I will be out of the saddle for an undetermined amount of time and I am finding the nerves are starting to creep back in. I WILL be getting back on him - I will make myself do it as I know that the first time is always the worst however, I have come so far with my confidence that I'm really afraid that this will set me back all the way. It also does not help matters that I will be going to hospital to have spinal surgery this year as well...

The injury I have sustained is so common in the horsey community that I guess I'm just looking for a bit of support at the moment. I had hoped to build a better bond with Bo and get out hacking in the summer, but I guess that's not really going to be an option between my collarbone and spine...

I think I'll just write 2012 off and look forward to 2013! :)

Thanks to everyone who read my long winded self pitying post! Help yourself to a large slice of homemade cake and a glass of wine!!!!

ThePony

Visit site
Hugs, no wonder you are feeling a bit down. On the up side: he is young and won't be harmed at all by a little time off, it is grotty weather for riding in, if you want to work on your bond then you can still do lots of groundwork exercises (though I guess it depends on how much he respects your space!).
Hope you are all put back together soon.

PRELover

Visit site
Thanks a lot TP, I'm hoping that my operation will fall at the end of my recovery for my collarbone so that I can get it all done in one go!!! I'm so lucky in as much as my fab YO has him of full livery for me and is a dab hand at bringing on youngsters. She has done plenty with him previously and he's thoroughly enjoying hacking out daily - I get to the yard in the dark so he's only really seen the inside of the school for the most part this winter!

ebonyallen

Visit site
You poor thing, what a horrid time you have had. We all suffer from confidence issues at some point or another and sometimes thinking about it is worse than actually doing it. You just need to stay strong and try and focus on the future, what has happened is in the past and you must try and move past that. Your horse is young so you will have time to sort all of this out, you just need to take it slowly and ask for help, Try and use the time that you are unable to ride to form more of a bond with him, you can do alot of work from the ground, get back in the saddle when you a ready and do not expect too much just take things back to basics and build from there, I am sure you will be fine,so please try not to dwell on the past it will do you no favours I hope all goes well with you op, please let us know how it all goes, you take care x

JessPickle

Visit site
My dad broke his shoulder blade in a similar fall. The time away did make him nervous but he's just taking things slowly and is gradually gaining in confidence. Just make sure when you come back to riding you have someone with you to push you a bit.

Hope you feel better soon

trottingon

Visit site
Ditto!!!! Similar fall, 2 weeks ago, also off new 4yo horse. Also broken collarbone, but mine is thankfully a clean break, will supposedly be fixed in another 6 weeks. Am also *****ting myself about getting back on eventually, not helped by horse being completely unsettled and tense since it happened, not the same horse at all. Only time will tell how it all pans out, but at the moment I'm trying not to think about getting back on, really not sure if he's the horse for me after all, in which case all my dreams for us could be ruined and I waited so long to get him. Maybe we can PM and keep each other focused?

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
First of all *big hugs*
Second, I've been there after breaking my leg in 9 places :(
Take it slow, its not a race, and u can get there, it's not easy but it's possible if you're determined and have good support :)
Once there, you really will feel on top of the world, my first canter across the field was awesone and I was fortunate to have a very patient and understanding friend help me along the way :)