A bit of much needed self pity!

mytwofriends

Visit site
Hi everyone, apologies for a bit of a long woe-is-me post, but I'm reaching my limit, and it would help to offload. So please bear with me if you can.

My horse has been on box rest since October. He tore his DDFT and I have a detailed rehab programme which I've followed rigorously (apart from a blip when it was icy). I'm now in the under saddle phase.

He bucked me off on Friday, and meant it (3 bucks ever increasing in size). He then hoofed it back to the farm, galloping full pelt along a bridlepath and then a country lane. So much for his controlled rehab. At least he didn't cause an accident.

He's probably just feeling better, it was cold, whatever, but he's not due for small paddock turnout until the end of April which seems like an eternity.

I'm a little ashamed to admit I've not enjoyed horses much this winter, not helped by the fact I work with them too. It's been endless, and just as spring nears, boom, small horse decides to turn into the devil. (There had been another incident the previous day too, but no fall.)

He gets two small feeds of low cal balancer and chaff, plus 2 hefty haynets a day. He's 17 but doesn't act it. Irrationally I felt he was being ungrateful for decking me, as he wants for nothing (except turnout). Obviously that's not the case, but you know what I mean.

Any tips to get me through this "feeling better" phase? I'm the wrong side of 50 and can't afford to get hurt, but I'm no longer bouncy.

That was long, sorry. Not sure if I'd have made it this far, so if you did, congrats.

Hilary'smum

Visit site
I am on the wrong side of 50 too. Stopped bouncing a long time ago. I have nothing but platitudes and sympathy to offer. It's the back end of winter, darkest hour etc. I admire you for sticking at it and know that lots of useful and encouraging advice will follow. Roll on April

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Count me in on the wrong side of.... do you know I think if it were me I would continue rehab in full tack but no rider until sufficient turn out is allowed and then get back on when horse out 24/7 and more chilled..or perhaps put someone up on him whilst you walk beside to circumnavigate a bucking episode. I think you are allowed to feel fed up at the length of winter and the time you have dedicated to your ungrateful horsey friend (fiend..lol). Our horses are allowed back out 24/7 on May 1st so we are counting the days down......

be positive

Visit site
I think you need to speak to the vet about starting some turnout, he has hopefully survived the galloping episode so I cannot see what harm restricted turnout can do, if he continues to buck and mess about you are both at risk of a serious injury, when mine had been on extended box rest I knew he would not cope with being ridden without becoming dangerous, restricted turnout was also a problem so we sedated and turned away fully for a month having conditioned him as much as possible in hand.

Vets do not always look at the bigger picture they just say ride and stay in walk for x amount of time, if only it was that easy!!!

BlackRider

Visit site
I'm sure sometimes vets don't appreciate what box rest can do them, and then merrily say ride in walt etc....

I hope things soon look up for you, would fit be worth trying to find a yard with a horse walker (I hate them! but in this case it might be useful and safer) x

Fidgety

Visit site
Count me in on the wrong side of.... do you know I think if it were me I would continue rehab in full tack but no rider until sufficient turn out is allowed and then get back on when horse out 24/7 and more chilled..or perhaps put someone up on him whilst you walk beside to circumnavigate a bucking episode.

From another who stopped counting at 50, I agree. Currently hand walking the pone in a chiffney in the lunge pen for 35 minutes a day. Vet has said I could do it under saddle if I wanted but the idea of another broken bone at my time of life with an episode like you've just suffered (entirely possible) doesn't fill me with glee. It's boring for both of us, but at least this way we're both much safer.

You're entitled to a Woe is Me post, glad you're both non the worse for his ohbejoyfuls!

ozpoz

Visit site
Another on the same side as you op.
I'd do the same, lunge or long rein in tack and wait until he has turnout before getting back on.

Falling off when your bounce ability has left really has got nothing to recommend it.
Maybe have a chat with the vet? You won't be the first person who has had to alter their controlled back to fitness plan because their horse has a different opinion. : )

southerncomfort

Visit site
Agree with the others.

I'd walk in hand until he'd calmed down and then hop on if you can. Also, I'd speak to the vet about allowing him some time out in a small pen of some sort so that going outside isn't quite as exciting!

I think if he keeps bucking and running home he is far more likely to undo all the good work done by box rest than allowing him time out in a pen.

Good luck, hope you find the answer (and don't ache too much!).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm the same side of 50 as you, OP and I wouldn't be getting back on again until the horse was on turnout. I stopped bouncing a while ago - and I have to admit it was a bit of a surprise! I'd talk to the vet about restricted turnout now, especially if the horse managed to get back home without injury after his adventure. If the vet says absolutely not and even if it is allowed, I would long-rein for a while until I was pretty certain that he had settled down. I like the idea of someone riding while the horse is led, especially if the rider is one of those bouncy youngsters that enjoy a challenge.

Flicker

Visit site
Oh OP I feel your pain!! My last horse sprained his stifle and was prescribed 3 months box rest, followed by 'light hacking' BEFORE restricted turn out. There was no way I was letting him hack after being in for three months, so instead I 'hacked' in an enclosed space (a turn out paddock YM kindly let me use). I also popped in a stronger bit and a martingale and never, never rode him without someone at least watching me.
He was ok. The first time we made it onto the road though, he did 'levitate' when confronted with some off road bikers, but fortunately didn't go anywhere after returning to earth!!
I think sometimes vets focus very much on one aspect of recovery, which isn't necessarily a holistic approach for horse and owner.
I agree with southerncomfort about trying to get him some turn out - even if you sedate him the first couple of times he goes out?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Another who would suggest asking about turnout. My mare is now signed off from check ligament injury but when we began turnout my slightly progressive vet suggested a series of interlocking small pens, so she could have enough space to wander about but couldn't build up any speed. Just something to keep in mind - I went completely bonkers doing electric fence spaghetti but it meant she could go out without me having a heart attack.

Mine leapt a 6 bar metal gate and galloped down the road not long after coming back in to work last year after the previous accident, so I know how you feel!!

Tobiano

Visit site
ouch - poor you OP. Yes I do agree with the poster who said that vets don't always take reality into consideration. Not 100% sure that long reining will be fully safe either, unless you do it in an enclosed area - they can run off on long reins and if you are not nifty on your feet you might find yourself in reach of flying hooves if he gets the bucking urge again. Definitely explore the restricted turnout option, safer for both of you I am sure. Good luck.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Thanks for all the lovely replies people - I knew it would help to offload, and it's comforting there are so many of us non-bouncers here on HHO!

Yes, I agree with you all, and failing being allowed to start restricted turnout sooner, I think I'll stop being a hero and hand-walk the little blighter instead.

I had been looking forward to riding again, having done weeks and weeks of hand-walking, and I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security when he behaved impeccably the first few times. Cue a bit of "almost springlike" sunshine, and his true naughty colours came out.

Anyway, thanks again for all the friendly comments. It's nice to have some virtual chums on the same wavelength!

Boulty

Visit site
If I were you I'd speak to vet about moving t/o date forward. If he's done all that and not broken himself then unless your t/o is as bog-like as ours I don't see how he'd do less damage moving around in a small area and being abit calmer hopefully than being on box rest and pulling stunts like that. I don't think common sense and how realistic something is always come into play when exercise programmes are devised...

mytwofriends

Visit site
Well I typed a reply to you Boulty, and my phone thought it would be a laugh to lose internet connection and I lost the lot.

Basically I agreed! I will be speaking to my vet tomorrow, and hopefully she'll be sympathetic.