a bit sick- but how do you...

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
This is a bit sick but there is no way I am going to afford (when the time comes) to get ashes turned into diamonds, I want a bit more than some jewellry made from tail hair (though that will happen too...)

How do you go about getting a horses hoof turned into an ash tray, trinket box or candle sticks... how would I go about it, and how much is this likely to cost?

PooJay

Visit site
This is a bit sick but there is no way I am going to afford (when the time comes) to get ashes turned into diamonds, I want a bit more than some jewellry made from tail hair (though that will happen too...)

How do you go about getting a horses hoof turned into an ash tray, trinket box or candle sticks... how would I go about it, and how much is this likely to cost?

An ashtray?!?! LOL :D

I would probably contact a taxidermist :)

PercyMum

Visit site
It used to be very common when a favoured hunter died the hoof would be turned into an ashtray or candle stick- with a little plaque of the name and dates. They are lined with silver... just wondered if it can still be done.

Yep its true! I have a hoof of my Great-Grandfathers prized Hunter 'Conker' as an ashtray, although I don't actually smoke. Its from 1920, so not much help with getting someone to ask. My Grandma said that the huntsman cut the hoof off (eek) and then it was cleaned off and sent to a local silversmith. I am guessing it would probably cost about £500+?? Maybe you could have it done in pewter? I don't really know, I'm just guessing!!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I think that's a cool idea :) I have no idea though, cut off the foot and then could you boil it like you do bones? Probably not as it is all just protein. Maybe clean it up with lime or something.

Actually, my farrier has a laminitic hoof cut in half that he drags round with him to show what is happening, I'll ask him how he made it (if he actually did make it and didn't buy it ready done)

Tinsel Trouble

Visit site
I have just emailed the countryside alliance to see if they might know how to go about doing this.

I have no clue what it entails though! I was thinking of a trinket box so it would be used and cherished for years to come. I think in this day and age an ashtray would just gather dust and that doesn't seem very fitting...

If it is done correctly then it will last for hundreds of years!

btw- he is still alive and well and eating! He's 16 and this winter he is starting to look his age... I just like to know all of my options!!

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
I have my great great grandmother's first pony's hooves (x2) which have been turned into little pin cushions! They give everyone the heebie-jeebies but I love them!

Maiziemouse

Visit site
You could try asking your farrier. Mine has some "freezedried?" hooves at different stages of laminitis and a healthy one to show people and make comparisons.

16 is still young though, my first pony is still strolling about like he owns the place - aged 36, and 2 eventers still competing aged 19 and 20!

Suziq77

Visit site
It used to be very common when a favoured hunter died the hoof would be turned into an ashtray or candle stick- with a little plaque of the name and dates. They are lined with silver... just wondered if it can still be done.

Yep I remember these as well. I always said that I wanted my favourite pony's hooves when he died (this was when I was 12 and he was 6). But when the time actually came (20 years later) I was so devastated I couldn't bear to talk about it at all. I just about managed to say "no" when I was asked if I wanted his ashes, which I don't regret saying but I do wish I'd managed to get a bit of his mane. Nearly 3 years later I still don't think I'd be able to bear looking at his hooves though.

I think it's very sensible to be working through the details now.

Kaylum

Visit site
From what I can remember you have to salt and freeze asap. A lot of stuffed animals that are meant to have been roadkill havent been as they would have never made the salt freeze method in time. Just what I remember the man who did this stuff telling me years ago. The methods may have changed since then.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Our old blacksmith gave us a hoof made into a doorstop as a wedding present then promptly asked for it back so he could lecture some students about it. We still haven't got it back nearly 40 years later, lol.
I believe the hunt staff cut off the feet about pastern level then don't know if they were allowed to dry out naturally or they were put in something but when it was all settled, the inside of the foot was scooped out then filled with cement then the blacksmith made a top and fancy handle with some very fancy welding which was fixed before the cement fixed. Later it was all waxed and polished, looked very nice - and very expensive.

Tinsel Trouble

Visit site
still waiting to hear back from the countryside alliance but I have been looking into silversmiths in my area and they all seem to make trinkets and jewelry- nothing substantial at all! Is there such a thing as a sterling-silver smith?!

I know 16 is still young- our old ones went at 26, 37 and 42 respectively. I just want to get my mind settled as to the options as he has arthritis in his back, and he's looking a bit old at the moment. once spring comes he'll perk up!

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Ewe no I'd rather he kept them all and they got burnt with him, I'd hate to think of someone hacking off the hoof, I just couldn't do that to him that's awful.

No idea of turning them into diamond though, do a google search and see what comes up ! I thought the OP was saying she wouldn't be able to afford that and wanted and ash tray

Last edited:

Kenzo

Visit site
That's quite a good idea actually, not that I'd want to use it as an ash tray but the hoof mounted on a say a gold coloured horse shoe and the top covered with gold plate with the horses name, birth date and passing away date on is quite a nice keep sake....if your into that sort of thing.

No idea where you'd get it done though.

Tinsel Trouble

Visit site
I'm a bit sceptical, I wouldn't believe it was the ashes I'd sent unless I saw them do it, they could be selling you stuff form argos lol

Argos sell cubic zircona stones- diamonds are made from super heated super compressed carbon (just like coal is but under more pressure). You can tell diamonds from a scratch test, and using light diffraction techniques.

Besides, if the company was going about buying glass stones from Argos i'm sure they would have gone bust by now!

5horses2dogsandacat

Generally on a hill.. when not blown off the side.
Visit site
I understand why... but I really would find that creepy. keeping a lock of mane is fine or ashes, I still look at the muck heap and think somewhere deep down is clover poo. Unfortunately my dad sent her to the hounds and I have nothing :'( other than the good memories and photos

It's all really sad and if I could afford a diamond I would.