A brilliant lesson!

maggiestar

Visit site
Just wanted to share how excited and happy I am after today's lesson. Normally I always lose my stirrups in canter but today something just clicked and I managed to keep them! At the beginning of the lesson I put my lower legs to stay in the correct position and concentrated HARD on keeping them there plus heels down which seemed to work. :) The horse seemed to go forward more as a result which is great. I know it's a small thing but am so pleased! Anyone else had a good day? Feel free to share here :)

Pippity

Visit site
Huzzah for brilliant lessons, and well done!

I've had a rather good day, too.

My favourite RDA horse had gone back to his owners, but he came back today! So I had a big cuddle, which he tolerated with very good grace. Then I stood by as support while one of the other volunteers had her first off-lead rein ride on him, and then I got on him myself. And I felt him go straight from 'must be very careful' to 'wahey!' as soon as I got on, which is nice that he thinks he can be less careful with me!

He was feeling very full of himself and raring to go, so I did a lot more canter work than I would normally, and I felt I'd really progressed by the end of it. (Though I suspect my trot-canter transitions would have been dreadful if I hadn't had to spend most of my time holding him back from cantering.) But I finally managed a consistent canter-walk transition, albeit with a lot of snorting and tail-bannering and pretending to be a Mighty Arab Stallion. And I also managed to get him to extend his trot without poinging into canter!

But, basically, he could have lobbed me off and it still would have been a brilliant ride, because my favourite pony's back!

Natti

Visit site
You both sound like you had great times! Well done for not losing your stirrups, I used to have that problem with trotting for a while, it's amazing when it finally clicks!
Pippity - YAY pony back!! It's always great to see them again, and good work on the canter-walk transitions, they're pretty hard! :D