A clipping question.

Flint12

Visit site
At the moment i pay £30 for full clip legs and all, which i think is pretty good value.

I really dont like it however when his legs look like bog brushes. But as he doesnt like being clipped i let them grow and then get the whole lot done again.

I was wondering though if it would be worth buying a pair of trimmers to clip his legs when they get slightly longer, in hope that he would gradually become easier to clip and more used to it.

Or would it be better of just getting the legs clipped more often?

Ideas and thoughts would be super
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Cliqmo

Visit site
I bought the mini trimmers from Wahl last year with the same intention, I should have realised £10 'mini clippers' weren't going to be up to much though, and they were a total waste of money
frown.gif
They didn't sound or vibrate like real clippers (so didn't help desensitize him) and didn't do a very good job of trimming either- they tended to jam up and pull the hair out
blush.gif
frown.gif
I reverted back to mane comb and a pair of scissors for trimming his feathers (back comb the hair and cut it as short at possible) it takes ages but it works
smirk.gif

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have a set of lister meteors which are brilliant for heads, legs and other fiddly bits. Had them 5 years with no problems and I use them all year round. My horse was a bit funny to clip to start with but my trimmers are really quiet and small, so easy to keep in your hand if the horse jiggles about a bit. It's worth a try.

milliepops

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I bought the mini trimmers from Wahl last year with the same intention, I should have realised £10 'mini clippers' weren't going to be up to much though,

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
Clippers and trimmers are probably one of the main things you can't skimp on! I also have some of those £10 clippers - they really are tiny aren't they
tongue.gif

Flint12

Visit site
Well, we have managed to go from having to be sedated then being twitched to nothing for his body.

Legs are another matter, he has never liked his legs being touched as he is jut very protective over them ( i think it comes from when he had very bad mud fever) He just becomes very bargy and generally a pain. This has however gotten better.

Elle1085

Visit site
i've tried doing legs with £80 trimmers and they were rubbish, trimmers are good for whiskers and that's about it. clippers are a really good investment if you use them enough. i clip my pony's legs all year up to the knee so he looks smart rather than like a carthorse and its so much easier to just do it when i want rather than waiting for someone else

Flint12

Visit site
Hmmmm might consider it. . .

Any ideas which ones to look at which wont break the bank that will last some time (i understand that if i paid more i may get better quality)

Thanks
smile.gif

milliepops

Visit site
As I said above I really rate the Lister Meteors, they aren't stupid money and come with guards so you can choose how close you clip. Mine charge up quite quickly and last long enough to do legs, heels, head/beard and armpits
grin.gif
(basically everywhere I'm not patient enough to use big clippers). I've had mine 5 years and only needed the blades sharpening once.
cool.gif

http://www.clipperservices.co.uk/acatalog/Lister_Meteor.html

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
best thing I ever did for our nervous to clip horse was buy some clippers. (£50 2nd hand 2 years ago!)

still going, just able to take time night after night slowly getting closer too her (with some pony nuts!)

after a week she stood like a dream, she still doesn't like you to go too far up her neck but otherwise fine.

even if the clippers had been more the £30 were adding up and it is much better to do frank lots in the winter (like 5 times!) as he gets so fluffly.