A couple of questions for the Irish ...

Visit site
well as my pony is Irish I have heard a few rumours about what youngsters do in Ireland and wondered which ones were true. hope that makes sense.

I've been told:

1. The get backed and hunted straight away
2. They are used to jumping big jumps out of trot
3. there is only one pure bred connemara stallion in the whole of Ireland.

true or not? you tell me!
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think you're away with the leprechauns LOL

1. Some do, some don't
2. Any horse can do that
3. Rubbish

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! thought so - I was told they jump out of trot because it is too hilly!
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

sherwood'

Visit site

very broad generalisation!

So do you reckon when they are out hunting their three year olds, a week after backing they pull up and jump a five foot hedge with 3 foot ditch in a trot. Yeah sure- obsoutely- do it every day!

Oh and all without a bridle- just a rope through their mouths.

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

So do you reckon when they are out hunting their three year olds, a week after backing they pull up and jump a five foot hedge with 3 foot ditch in a trot. Yeah sure- obsoutely- do it every day!

[/ QUOTE ]

i have heard rumours about it

GinaB

Visit site
Someone else here had made a bad generalisation about the Irish and how we supposedly treat our horses. (Can't remember who it was or exactly what was said) but honest..we're not all tinkers that force our horses to jump over huge iron railings to prove how brave they are!

Niamhy

photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO R!!!

Of course yep, thats us!
tongue.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
GinaB,
I once made a statement about SOME Irish dealers and ways of breaking and teaching horses. I was very careful in my approach, im friends with a good numer of you Irish lot in here, as well as having friends in Co Wexford, so I know its not Irish horseowners=careless and cruel. I have had a few over from there that are very poorly done to, but then I have had some from over here come the same way. Just makes me giggle that whenever anyone asks me to hunt something from Ireland, when I ask "has it hunted" they ALL say: "oh yes, hunted in ireland"
smirk.gif

Visit site
I'm sorry for the pointless post - it wasn't meant in an offensive way or anything I just wondered because I wanted to nip the rumours in the bud if they are untrue (which I now know they are)

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

3. there is only one pure bred connemara stallion in the whole of Ireland.

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I didn't believe that one either tbh.
smirk.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
1)Most that I know of don't, but a lot are hunted youngish, is a good education!
2)hills?!!!! I shall have to go build one in my nice flat manege now.
Than jump big jumps out of trot (although incidently I do jump out of trot, good for them as well)
3)Rubbish!!

Oh...and who gets to use rope handles? I just hop on and kick!!
(got told I was very irish when I answered to 'how do you ride x fence', 'sit up and kick!')

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
got told I was very irish when I answered to 'how do you ride x fence', 'sit up and kick!')

[/ QUOTE ]

lol that's exactly what my yard manager (who is Irish) told me to do when we went cross country training!
grin.gif

druid

Visit site
1.No, that's bollocks. Some do, some don't
2. I've never jumped anything out hunting out of trot (7 seasons....)
3. Utter bollocks!!

4whitesocks

Visit site
Oh dear

......and for once it's too funny even for me to get on my high horse (who in fact was backed and then hunted straight away - and has an uncanny ability to jump large fences from trot, walk or even a standstill if he so choses!!)

PMSL