A Day In The Life Of A Work Rider - It's Been A While!

Visit site
I realised I hadn't done one of these for a long while so what a better day to do it than a Saturday whilst watching some top not National Hunt racing!

I had an easy start to my day with a few to clip so I started with a lovely young Malinas 3yo gelding who has never been clipped before. I always approach these youngsters with the hope of giving them a good experience first time so they will hopefully settle to being clipped and be no bother for the rest of their lives but if they don't like it then I don't take a hair off and dope them instead. I bring Bear into my clipping box and he instantly goes to the big pile of shavings at the back of the stable to have a good sniff. Whilst he settles into being in the box I oil the clippers and sort out my brushes. "Come on sunshine, over here please." I say as I go collect him from his investigations. "Now these are clippers, they make a hell of a racket but they won't hurt you and it's just a noisy grooming session buddy." I tell him as I switch them on. Bear's eye pop out on stalks as he snorts and stares in horror at the machine in my hand. I hold them out for him to inspect and being the inquisitive youngster that he is he duly sniffed them and stuck his nose on them. Now usually if a horse is willing to touch them themselves and not jump through the roof it's a safe bet that I will get them clipped without too much bother. Bear gives them another sniff then decides there's more interesting things to be looking at and sniffing from this new box. Before I start taking hair off I run the clippers all over his body so he can feel the vibrations as well - did he care? Did he heck! "Good lad, so your going to let me clip you then." I start taking hair off of his shoulder and he doesn't care one bit woohoo! I got the whole of the near side done except the top of his neck and head - I always leave this bit until last so I can do both sides at the same time in case I have to twitch them for it. I swop sides to do the off side and he won't let me near him! Weirdo! So I quietly wait him out and he couldn't figure out that he can still look out over the door just not wedges up against the wall! When he got this idea he stood like a rock again to be fair to him. Doing his head was a little trickier as he is bloomin big horse and he likes putting his head in the air! "Look mate I can't reach that high, not even standing on my box so you either bring it down a bit or I twitch you, your choice" I say to him. I would like to think he understand what I say but I doubt it though he did drop his head just enough for me to be able to do a half decent job of it. He looks good! I do like it when youngsters are well brought up, it makes my life so, so much easier!

I clipped another Malinas horse next, Neena. She is a total sweetheart but also a complete and utter madam at times! But she is awesome to clip! She stands like a rock, isn't ticklish at all and doesn't care where you put the clippers. It's funny because they do say traits run through families and so far the 3 Malinas horses I have clipped have all been great to clip. Same with Milan horses. I only ever doped Arthur because he was always a bit ticklish and I wanted to make sure he went out immaculately for his races. If he was just a bog standard northern horse that would be hunting round the likes of Hexham I would never have doped him and left him with slightly hairy elbows and flanks.

My first lot to ride out was a bit of work on wee Bloorie. He is coming back from a pretty nasty injury, he got jumped into at Perth last year and basically degloved his hind leg down the back from half way down the lower limb all the way to the fetlock. And of course you can't just have a horse heal normally now can you? Oh no! He got an infection which ate away at a bit of his tendon so he had to go back into surgery and have it all scraped away. There was always a question mark of if he would stand up to training but here we are, a few weeks off of a run and he is 100% sound and loving life! 1st time up the gallops he just tootled away quietly. You would be forgiven for thinking he was a nice ride if you saw him do that. 2nd time up with Max and he tanked along taking a good pull. 3rd time up is where things got interesting! I swopped work partners because someone was on their own that shouldn't be on their own and Max could do it by himself so I hopped off with Sut's. The lass on Sut's has never done a bit of work before so I had to help her quite a lot. Bloorie is the far better work horse of the 2 and just over half way up Sut's started to drop back a wee bit. "Steady up a second wee man" I say to Bloorie as I bring him back to a nose behind Sut's, come right over next to him to eyeball him and start clicking. Oh crap ... 'Your clicking! That means we go faster!' Bloorie said.. "No, Bloorie! We are helping Sut's!" 'Nope! This is waaaaayyy too much fun!' was Bloorie's response as he pulled my absolute arms out and tried to sprint clear of Sut's. "NO! Bloorie! NO! We are helping Sut's!" I try to reason with him. 'Pah! That's what you think! Let me GOOOOO!!!!!' Bloorie argued back, flinging his head up and back at me before trying to plunge forwards and zoom off."Oh fine! Off you go! We only have 3/4 furlong left anyway" I give in and drop paw. 'YYYAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' Was Bloorie's response to that. We went FLYING! And then we had to stop! Needlss to say Bloorie is feeling very well for himself at the moment and he bounced all the way home.

Visit site
Since when could you have a post no longer than 10,000 characters!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Part 2 ...

My 2nd and final lot of the day was Big Midnight. Not sure where he runs next as we need rain - LOTS of rain! If the racecourse resembles a ploughed field then that's his ground! We had the job of looking after Lucky again today. Lucky is NOT a pleasant ride by any stretch of the imagination! As we head across the stubble field towards to gallops Midnight pops into a lob, we are only supposed to trot but honestly you could hunt this horse all day long! He is a total dream to ride round the fields! We set off first time up the gallops and less than a furlong in DOOF. Lucky crashes into the back of Midnight. And this is exactly why Midnight was chosen to nanny him today. He flicked an ear and carried on as though nothing had happened with Lucky pretty much climbing up the back of him until he settled a little bit more. Down the way same thing again - lob, lob, DOOF, ear flick, lob lob, lob. "Good lad Midnight, just ignore him" I say as I scratch his neck. 'I know mum, I got this.' 2nd time up we set off, Lucky behind us so he could settle and then join us. Ey by gum Midnight was taking a pull! He had set his sights on the pair in front and with Lucky sitting at his quarters he just wanted to go! "No sunshine! You just keep going the speed you are! Don't upset Lucky!" I say. 'But MUUUUUUUM!' Midnight whined as he fly leapt against my hands. Lucky then came fully upsides us and Midnight settled into a strong pull but happier now he wasn't being chased. Lob, lob, DOOF, ear flick, lob, lob, lob back down the way. 3rd time up we set off the same way again, Lucky tucked in behind to settle before joining us. 'RAAAAWWWWRRRRGGGGGG!' Midnight set off with a giant fly leap hoping to catch me sleeping. "Sorry buddy! Not today!" I say as I keep a tight rein on him. We picked up pace, and again, Lucky got to our quarters and that's as far as he got. Midnight is the far better horse of the 2 and so we kept up our strong gallop all the way to the top. If he wasn't such a lazy pig I could have shaken the reins and sent him after the pair in front, split them and left them standing. But no, Midnight does nothing more than 101%. He would have hunted them down if Lucky had come with us but he wasn't going to be doing that. This is why Midnight will never win a race by more than 3 lengths - he idles and is lazy so he would just slow down and wait for someone to come upsides him if you produced him to win too soon. Heading back down the last time Midnight had his adrenaline up and a real buzz going on. Which made my life hell. "Seriously you great big oaf! Would you just pull up!" I say to him at the bottom. *Snatch* *Snatch* *Snatch* 'Nope! No can do mum! Hehehehe! I'm having way too much fun' *Snatch* "pig" I say to him as he finally breaks into a trot just before the corner. As we went out of the gate we had to wait for a couple of cars to pass before we could cross the road. *Snatch* *paw* *paw* *paw* Midnight likes digging in puddles but there wasn't one there so he was trying to create one. "Come on sunshine, turn round, home time" I saw as I spun him in the direction of home. There is a small lip of concrete then a dip going into the field. Could we walk over this sensibly today? *Snatch* *Leap* *Plunge* *Jog off with head on the floor* Don't be so silly! "OI! D1CKWAD!" I say to him having had my arm absolutely wrenched out of it's socket 'Sorry mum! It's just way too fun today!' Midnight replied before setting of at a good march towards home. As we cross the next part of the field Lucky jogged up besides us. *Snatch* *Snatch* *jogs off* "Oi! Sunny Jim! Stop it!" I say futilely as I manage to stop Midnight from jogging but instead got a giant bouncy ball of a walk. "Mate it's not that exciting surely?" I ask him. 'Yup mum! It is! Did you see me up those gallops!? I was dynamite! Neeeeroooooooooooom! Blink and you miss me style!' Well at least he is happy! There is a big puddle at the end of the field and you guessed it! Midnight just had to splash in it! *Whack* *Whack* *Whack* his front foot went off of the water sending it flying everywhere! I just laugh at him. In a bigger string I wouldn't trust the bugger not to drop and roll but when there is only 6 of us and he is being left behind he wouldn't drop as he doesn't like being left behind. 'Hold on tight mum!' at least the daft bugger warned me this time as he launched himself out of the puddle and onto the road. The rest of the way home was done at a great swagger. I do love this horse! He is going to make someone an awesome hunter when he is finished racing!

It's my weekend off this weekend and I got to take my half day for the first time since I can't remember when! Amazeballs! And so here I am telling you guys about how awesome "my" horse is before I head out to do my own motley crew at home. I will add some pics from my phone in a minute.

Our playmate today - Lucky.
Screenshot_20211120-155903_Gallery.jpg

A well earned roll!

Screenshot_20211120-155847_Gallery.jpg

Yeomans

Visit site
Great read as usual, can you do a Christmas one later on in December and tell us what you do at the yard for Christmas,, ie do the horses get pressies, do you still work them over Christmas? and how is Dum Dum?

Visit site
Great read as usual, can you do a Christmas one later on in December and tell us what you do at the yard for Christmas,, ie do the horses get pressies, do you still work them over Christmas? and how is Dum Dum?

Yeah I can do a Christmas day one though it's not very exciting. We go in early, feed, hay up, muck out, all horses go on the walker for 30-40mins and out in the field for an hour. Anything that is racing on the 26th or 27th will get ridden nothing else will. We are usually done for about 10.30am. Someone then goes back to feed at 1pm, a different person goes back to feed at 3.30pm and someone else goes back to feed at 9pm.

Dum Dum is doing good! He is a decent height now thankfully! Still not as big as I would like him to be but he will now be more of a useful size than it was looking like he was going to turn into. He goes out to a youngstock show in a few weeks time.

reynold

Visit site
Thanks for posting these. I always read and enjoy them.
A Christmas post would be lovely if you have time to do one.