A Day In The Life Of A Work Rider - It's Been One Of Those Days!

Visit site
We all have one of those days where we wish we had never got out of bed! Today was one of those days!

It started off with me getting up 10 mins late - might not seem much to most people but when you time everything down to the last second 10 mins is a lot! So I spent the rest of my day chasing my tail - as you do! So a little disgrunted I headed to my mums to sort the horses out. Let Jeff & Gray out as normal and Gray decided to stop in the gateway and splash in the puddle as I was right behind him carrying hay! $^$£^$%$"£^&"%^!"%&!!!!! Got to yard one with 2 minutes to spare only to find out the first horse I am riding is one I absolutely loathe! He annoys me becuse he has ability but he doesn't want to do it! Then you get other horses who try their wee hearts out and give you 120% every day who are just not very good at all! By next horse over there was Big Bad Boris who is so fresh just now I can barely hold one side of him! On a normal day this would amuse me greatly but today I was just not in the mood so just sat and suffered him. Thank god he runs on Thursday!

Got over to yard 2 to find out that I had aquired another lot to ride as someone had pulled a sicky. Great! Thanks! This did nothing to improve my mood ... I had the wee Pocket Rocket twice up the gallops first lot. He is another one who is as fresh as paint right now and he really tested my muscles! All I could do was hold and prey! Im not going to lie I honestly felt like crying at that point! I just couldn't be bothered with any of it any more. I spend all of my time grafting my backside off making sure all these horses get clipped for racing, I can't remember the last time I stopped for lunch and today was a day I actually had time planned to clip! Not any more!

My next lot was big Midnight who is feeling rather well for himself ... Why is it when your really not in the mood to be around people the horses you are sitting on are absolutely bouncing out of thier skins and loving life?!?! Midnight went onto the gallops snatching like a bar steward before cannoning off of the gallops and broncing through the dip (the broncing is nothing new! He does it every day first time up! Especially if you give him a nudge in the ribs with your left foot! ;)) But he was an absolutely THUG pulling up at the bottom of the gallops! When the mood takes him he just puts his nose to the floor and wont stop - you can be going a steady canter or even a trot but he just will not stop until the horse in front of him does and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it!

Onto last lot - I realised the girl who usually rides my last lot had a horse that was just hacking so I asked to swop so I could get out and back and off to yard 1 to get some horses clipped as I needed away before dark to move some of my shetlands. She mumbled, scuttled off and tacked up the hacking horse! Thanks! Thanks a bunch! It would have saved me 20mins at least by not going up the gallops again! But Oh No! That really is the last time I do her any favours what so ever! It's not even like she has ever ridden the hacking horse before! I honestly could have strangled her! So I go and tack up the grey horse ... who promptly stands on my foot! My left foot! The one with chillblanes on!!! £%£$^%$$%"$£%^££!!!!!!! I really am not having a good day! So off we tootle, said horse then proceeds to pull my arms out up the gallops and jog the majority of the way home. My mood really isn't getting anywhere near better!

By now it's 1pm so I scoot straight over to yard 1 to get these 2 horses clipped that run tomorrow and Thursday. Both are absolute bar stewards to clip! I notmally sedate one of the them so I don't get my head kicked in but that wasn't possible - ran out of time! So he has a servicable clip. He won't over heat, he actually doesn't look too bad - just don't look underneath him! Even twitched I couldn't do half of his underneath so I just hope Grossick doesn't have his ground camera out tomorrow! The other horse is just a complete fidget and he rears when you get to his head! Even with a twitch on so I didnt even attempt to do his jaw I just did his chubby wee cheeks! I finally got done and away from the yard just after 3.30pm. Not a happy bunny! So I had to rattle up the road to move my ponies before it got even darker! They were only going to another field 20 yards up the road but 2 of the ponies are black, the other dark chesnut and the road is a rural, dark country road. I didn't want to be leading them up the road in the dark for obvious reasons! Which is why I was still so peeved off that that twat didn't swop horses! 20 minutes at this time of year makes so much difference to the daylight you are working with!

As I left yard 2 for yard 1 the lovely Spillars lady had given us a tub of Celebrations. I was already half way out the yard at this point so didn't turn back to grab any - big mistake! There are only Bounty's left now - who even likes Bounty's?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Finally got back to my mums to sort out the beasts and there was no chocolate there either! So not amused!

There are 3 upsides to this day! 1 - I no longer have to go to Hexham tomorrow! WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I hate, loathe and despise Hexham! I haven't been for 3.5 years and we were supposed to have runners at 2 tracks which was why I was going to go. The horse at the other track goes elsewhere now so I don't need to go!!!!! Happy HAPPY DAYS!!!!!

2 - My OH sent me a message saying he was making a roast dinner tonight because he felt like it.

3 - Dinner was EPIC! It really made my day!

So I have spent the day being stupidly emotional and chocolate deprived! Just need to go back to the yard at about 9pm to do night feeds ... My day never ends!

catembi

Visit site
Gosh, how can you do all that in a day! I think I've done well if I manage to hack out one horse! And you do it **every** day!

SpringArising

Visit site
I knew next to nothing about racing until I met my ex who had a racing yard and it was such a fab insight into the industry. Hats off to you - you must be knackered at the end of each day!

Visit site
😂😂😂 today was a damned sight better than yesterday! Big Midnight was a total gem over at yard 1. I remained in control of Big Bad Boris round the fields - not that he approved and made that fact abundantly clear by fly leaping and swinging sideways at every opportunity 😂😂😂 he runs tomorrow so I get a few days peace and quiet from him!

The Pocket Rocket has been renamed The Reprobate! He is back to his cheeky self whipping round at the bottom of the gallop and setting off like a bullet out of a gun! He hasn't done that for a while and I really am glad He is feeling well enough to do it again! Yeah ok he pulled my arms out again but he did do a good bit of work. Ozzle Pozzle is a lovely ride as is Victor. AND I managed to get the afternoon off! So happy days all round today! 😂😂😂

What a difference 24 hours makes!

Oh and Midnight tracked 33.34mph this morning working 😂

Visit site
The Seaver Girth sleeve gave me the stats on speed. It's quite interesting when used to compare like for like bits of work for horses. Scu is toying with the idea of getting one now too for himself 😂😂😂

Velcrobum - I can give you there racing names if you really want them but they aren't as entertaining as what I call them in the yard 😂😂😂

Big Bad Boris - OrionInverness. He is called Boris in the box but I call him Big Bad Boris as he works best when he is angry! He can be a lazy toad at times though!

The Pocket Rocket/Reprobate is Sky Khan - a useful handicap hurdler who hasn't won for a few years but always runs a genuine race.

Midnight- Grand Morning. Will hopefully make a better job of his jumping next time out!

Ozzle Pozzle (Ozzy really!) - a Horse I rarely ride to be honest - The Road Home.

Victor - Voix D'eau - never sat on him before today but he is a total gent. He ran over the big National fences in the Grand Sefton at the weekend there.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'd love to see another breakdown of yours stats from the girth after a bit more time has passed - if you can face putting it all together again some time!