A day in the life.....

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
of a person who left full time employment last week :)
A leisurely start to the day, accompanied by two rather pleased Rotweillers,, playing in the yard.
Then took the two older horses for a short pootle round the local lanes. I nearly fell off before we left the yard :D There I was trying to re-arrange the Appy's mane, from on top, when she put her head down, we could so easily have had a thelwell moment of rolling down her neck! Off we went, both mares having a good look round and all of us enjoying the sights, of a lovely sunny autumn morning. All was well until we got to the primary school at playtime, with the racing trotter going round his circle just across the road, the Appy doesn't like horses driving. So the large lady went in front, to give the Appy a lead and off we trotted up the road, with the large girl beaming as she was in front and therefore in charge :D Back down past the hotel, putting the Appy in front again. The large girl's Hi-Viz neck strap had slipped over her shoulder, Sis sorted it out and shortened it up, I have never seen the big girl roll her shoulders like she did then she is in line for an oscar :D Then we saw the hawk dive and then go and sit on the wires.
Back home, the horses put back out and Sis and I went to the local farm shop for lunch. I don't think it can get much better than this :D

YorksG

Visit site
It was wonderful :) I'm taking a couple of weeks before I begin some consultancy type work, and am loving every minute of it. I hope you get something ridable again before too long, or you will miss the small amount of nice autumn weather!

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Hope this bit of sunshine holds for you! I love this time of year!

Sadly, not much chance of riding as I currently only have my homebred 3yr old who will be left till next spring to back, and her rather rotund 12.2hh nanny!! Two things sadly stop me from jumping on said chubby pony, firstly she has a knee injury that renders her unsound (which is why she's a nanny) and secondly, I'm 5'11" ;)

Looking for another to play with but can't decide whether to buy a 2ur old ID or IDx, an older 'fun' type horse that would double as a nanny for when the pony gets too lame to carry on, or a 5/6yr old .........
Nothing's ever simple is it?!!! :D

YorksG

Visit site
Never easy or simple with horses :) We bought a just started Appy three year old two years ago and I have left her for over two years to mature! I am hoping to start her again this autumn, as she is now looking much more grown up! The older Appy is 19 now, so the plan is to have the younger girl ready to take over. Sis has a 21 year old draught mare and a ready to start four year old. Go on get yourself an older fun horse to keep your hand in till your youngster is ready to go :D

mandyroberts

Visit site
I retired last April and spend my days playing with the horses (my riding has improved loads), walking dogs, doing pilates and gradually getting round to doing the jobs that should have been done years ago. I am doing more competing and take the horses in the lorry once a week to ride somewhere else. After 37 years of working I love it, I have to remind myself it was the long hours and stressful job that has enabled me to do this as I wish I could have spent this much quality time with my horse for the past years. But you just can't have it all ways all the time

Tobiano

Visit site
I retired last April and spend my days playing with the horses (my riding has improved loads), walking dogs, doing pilates and gradually getting round to doing the jobs that should have been done years ago. I am doing more competing and take the horses in the lorry once a week to ride somewhere else. After 37 years of working I love it, I have to remind myself it was the long hours and stressful job that has enabled me to do this as I wish I could have spent this much quality time with my horse for the past years. But you just can't have it all ways all the time

Wow this is inspiring!! I retired in June and though I now ride about 4 times a week I certainly couldn't say my riding has improved loads… Note to Self!!

YorksG well done on giving up the full time hamster wheel too… being able to go out for a ride with your sister on a week day is 100% what life is all about! :)

YorksG

Visit site
I only did 33 and a bit years of hamster wheel :D I can't afford to give up working alltogether, Sis now works part time as well, so we are looking forward to many more days like this :) The work I do from now on will also be from home, bliss :)

mandyroberts

Visit site
Advice - we don't live forever and we certainly wont be able to do in 10 years time what we can do now - live for today!
Riding 6 days a week, dog walking 5 times a week, pilates most days - no crisp and chocolate machine - I feel 10 years younger.
I have no children so have no one I need to leave anything to and not many are in my position.
3 days at Blenheim this weekend - yeah!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Excellent advice, mandyroberts! I feel so much better now that I don't go to the staffroom at the end of a gruelling school day, heave a sigh of relief and open the biscuit tin - and being able to get out into the fresh air in the middle of the day must be healthier than breathing in a whole classful of germs.