A day of firsts - our louisem report

Leg_end

Visit site
So today Buds, hubby and I went off to Ali16's gorgeous yard for our session with LouiseM. I was unbelievably nervous, I hate riding in front of people but it's something I have to get over so I bit the bullet and booked my place.

First 'first' was that Mr B loaded brilliantly :D We've had some issues with it and after numerous trials today was our first proper trip out in this lorry.

We arrived with plenty of time but it was soon time for our session. Time for the second, third and forth 'firsts'.. Our first clinic, our first SJ away from home and first time SJ with other people in the arena :)

We were the confidence givers and youngsters group A. I was sat in both camps but my confidence was the key issue. It would seem we started out much as everyone else, our warm up was watched and the emphasis was keeping the contact (not necesarily head in) and staying forward. Once we'd (or I'd) relaxed we got some good work and then got started on the jumping.

As others have discussed, we started with three fences, three strides apart with poles on the floor working up. My main issue was that I was holding B back and not getting him forward enough so I tried my hardest to breathe and push on. I was really starting to enjoy myself and didn't feel like I was Getting left behind or being too rubbish

P1040234.jpg

The fences went up and then on my next run through I just wasn't forward enough and I paid the price as my pony is so genuine he doesn't stop, he just gets bigger ;)

5af5fd32.jpg

I would love to say we landed together but i was riding some impressive air and hit the deck :( Thanks to my KAN I wasn't hurt but I have to say it hit my confidence hard, not because I'd fallen off but because everyone was watching and I was convinced they would say how awful I was. But the LOVELY NR99 and mini-NR were so sweet and, after Louise rode him for a bit, I got back on and popped some fences :D

Despite the fall and feeling a bit silly I am really pleased that we did it, so many firsts and we survived ;) I wouldn't hesitate in recommending LouiseM to anyone, she never made me feel silly and even a 2' nothing cross pole was an achievement. I've got plenty to work on and when Louise comes back ill be right at the front of the queue.

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
What a gorgeous horse you have! So handsome :). Well done on all your "firsts" :D it can be so daunting especially with people watching you! and if it is any consolation exactly the same thing happened to me with my youngster a couple of weeks ago, I boxed him to a SJ trainer that I'd never had before and on our second fence he decided to jump the wings rather than the teeny crosspole, little sod! I also hit the deck and quickly scrambled back on before anyone had a chance to comment lol.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
well done on lots of good positive firsts. ok you fell off but you got back on again and that is what counts :) Everyone has to fall off so at least you got it out of the way now ;)

I'm joining you on the list of people who want Louise to return soon :D

Saf

community.webshots.com
Sorry I only got the chance to say have a good lesson, would normally have stayed but due to work had only 2 hrs sleep and nearly two hour drive, sorry to hear you had a dismount but like you want to go back and have some more please :)

humblepie

Visit site
I turned up to watch for a while as a random lurker and nice to meet you and NR99 and mini NR. Didn't get to say hi to Ali but thanks for letting random people in to watch.

Glad you popped some fences after you got back on as I had gone by then.

Thought your horse looked very smart and it is good to get several firsts out of the way.

And don't worry about people watching. Having given up jumping entirely several years ago, am thoroughly impressed by anyone jumping anything.

dieseldog

Visit site
Your 2nd picture is pretty impressive, don't think many people would have stayed on that :eek: Glad you got back on and finished happy. Never worry about what people think, I was laid out in the middle of The Hand for 4 hours once screaming non stop the whole time during a BS show. I cringe thinking about it now, I also wish morphine worked better :rolleyes:

floradora09

Visit site
Well done, lovely horse :) Hadn't realised it was going to be at Ali's yard- wish I'd paid more attention to the original thread now!! :rolleyes:

I think the worst thing I do it worry what people think, and honestly it's just not worth it. Glad you're ok, and lots of positives to take from today then! :D

louisemum

Visit site
Well done Leg End ! your report was very candid. How brave to go out and confront your fears. I am impressed with the photos, especially the 2nd one, I had a quiet chuckle:) Because years ago I did that several times ! ( I haven't ridden for 50 years now !) Well done for getting back on board ! It probably hurt a bit, and as we all know it will hurt tomorrow as well, But it could have been worse....The weather could have been foul, wet muddy ground and you could have ended up soaked to the skin ! Always look on the bright side :D
Every so often I dream of riding again, and with a daughter like Louise I have every opportunity to try BUT, I have totally lost my nerve ! So I really applaud all the "firsts" you have faced today and to enjoy doing it. Brilliant ! !
I will just enjoy all that Louise, Charlotte, Emily & Madeleine do, because they are my Stars ! and they Shine !:):)

Nicnac

Visit site
Well done - I am gutted that I couldn't make the dates Louisem was in my area :( Although having seen the photos of some of the first reports, thought that it was probably for the best as those jumps looked huge. So glad to hear you had a great time and that Louisem teaches those, like me, who lacks confidence as the last time I jumped my boy I broke 5 bones :eek:
I have booked a lesson on Monday with a SJ trainer so hope I feel as good as you do afterwards. Really want to make the next clinics now having read your post! Loved the photos!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Blimey you were in orbit :O
As others have all said well done for coping with so many 'firsts' in one go - that was no mean feat and then to get back on ? I'd of picked my dummy up and gone home !
I'd def be up for next time if any round Bucks area.

Bug

Visit site
Well done Leg_end I know how worried you were and sounds like you enjoyed it.
I will also be running to the front of the queue for another lesson, in fact do we have to let Louise go home?!

NR99

Visit site
Glad you wrote the report, it shows to everyone that Louise is happy to help all levels.

She said in one of the original threads that she is happy to teach everyone as long as they want to learn and I think that sums her up perfectly.

Hope to see you out and about soon. Are you with Chiltern RC they are super friendly and have lots of lower level comps to get you started so you can deal with your nerves. Bud really should be shown off, he's lovely :D

Leg_end

Visit site
What a gorgeous horse you have! So handsome :)
Thank you, he certainly knows it ;)

well done on lots of good positive firsts. ok you fell off but you got back on again and that is what counts :) Everyone has to fall off so at least you got it out of the way now ;)

I'm joining you on the list of people who want Louise to return soon :D

It's funny as I'm not afraid of falling off, just looking stupid :rolleyes: so I just need to remember not to fall off next time now ;) :D

Sorry I only got the chance to say have a good lesson, would normally have stayed but due to work had only 2 hrs sleep and nearly two hour drive, sorry to hear you had a dismount but like you want to go back and have some more please :)

Blimey, I was exhausted after all that time in the sunshine and I'd had a good nights sleep and only live 40mins away!

I turned up to watch for a while as a random lurker and nice to meet you and NR99 and mini NR. Didn't get to say hi to Ali but thanks for letting random people in to watch.

Glad you popped some fences after you got back on as I had gone by then.

Thought your horse looked very smart and it is good to get several firsts out of the way.

Was lovely to meet you too :) I'm glad I got back on, was having a wobble about it but was v glad I did it. Well have to get you and your boy along next time ;)

Your 2nd picture is pretty impressive, don't think many people would have stayed on that :eek: Glad you got back on and finished happy. Never worry about what people think, I was laid out in the middle of The Hand for 4 hours once screaming non stop the whole time during a BS show. I cringe thinking about it now, I also wish morphine worked better :rolleyes:

I know! Typically hubby got hardly any nice shots but managed to get the fall sequence on film! I must admit that it's had me in stitches as I made this very silly noise as I was flying through the air ;)

I think the worst thing I do it worry what people think, and honestly it's just not worth it. Glad you're ok, and lots of positives to take from today then! :D

You're right and it's something I'm going to work on I think as it just cripples me :(

Well done Leg End ! your report was very candid. How brave to go out and confront your fears. I am impressed with the photos, especially the 2nd one, I had a quiet chuckle:) Because years ago I did that several times ! ( I haven't ridden for 50 years now !) Well done for getting back on board ! It probably hurt a bit, and as we all know it will hurt tomorrow as well, But it could have been worse....The weather could have been foul, wet muddy ground and you could have ended up soaked to the skin ! Always look on the bright side :D
Thank you, I know it's very different to other peoples reports in height terms but i was so proud of myself and Buds - onwards and upwards from here :) And thanks to my KAN I'm fine this morning : D

Well done - I am gutted that I couldn't make the dates Louisem was in my area :( Although having seen the photos of some of the first reports, thought that it was probably for the best as those jumps looked huge. So glad to hear you had a great time and that Louisem teaches those, like me, who lacks confidence as the last time I jumped my boy I broke 5 bones :eek:

That's sort of why I posted this as I wasn't sure initially, after all I know it's very very low level compared to the others we've seen. But I'm sure there are other people like me who want to improve or get back to a level they were once at (i used to compete at Novice as a teen) but it's not necessarily their riding holding them back but their belief that they can do it. That's why I fell off, I wasn't committed enough. But Louise was great, I also have another trainer who is brilliant and makes me feel great but he'd moved away and as Buds wouldn't load :rolleyes: we've not been able to get to him but that's going to change now!

All the best with your session, I hope it goes well :)

Blimey you were in orbit :O
As others have all said well done for coping with so many 'firsts' in one go - that was no mean feat and then to get back on ? I'd of picked my dummy up and gone home !

I was indeed ;) I had to get back on, I wasn't sure I was going to jump again but I was glad I did :)

Last edited:

Leg_end

Visit site
Well done Leg_end I know how worried you were and sounds like you enjoyed it.
I will also be running to the front of the queue for another lesson, in fact do we have to let Louise go home?!

I really did :) I'd be very happy for Louise to stay here! I'd love to do a few days with her next time.. It may be worth investigating somewhere we could do a camp...

Pssst, last time I fell off it scared me so much I refused to get back on. And that was only a couple of months ago! So well done, you did better than me! :D

Ha ha, but you and Mally put us to shame! I need to pull my socks up and kick on :D

Glad you wrote the report, it shows to everyone that Louise is happy to help all levels.

She said in one of the original threads that she is happy to teach everyone as long as they want to learn and I think that sums her up perfectly.

Hope to see you out and about soon. Are you with Chiltern RC they are super friendly and have lots of lower level comps to get you started so you can deal with your nerves. Bud really should be shown off, he's lovely :D

Exactly, she was fab : D

I'm not with any RC ATM, have been debating joining but didn't know where to go (and also terrified of bitchyness - me paranoid?! Never ;) ). Are you with Chiltern?

Buds is lovely and we've got no excuses now really ;) crack on and kick on!

Firewell

Visit site
I'm wishing that I had done this clinic now as well after reading so many good reports :).

Well done you on a good day, lovely boy you have there :). I wouldn't worry about falling off, tbh I don't know if there is many people who would have stayed on a leap like that! At least you know he has scope lol.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Thank you, I know it's very different to other peoples reports in height terms but i was so proud of myself and Buds - onwards and upwards from here :) And thanks to my KAN I'm fine this morning : D

That's sort of why I posted this as I wasn't sure initially, after all I know it's very very low level compared to the others we've seen. But I'm sure there are other people like me who want to improve or get back to a level they were once at (i used to compete at Novice as a teen) but it's not necessarily their riding holding them back but their belief that they can do it. That's why I fell off, I wasn't committed enough. But Louise was great, I also have another trainer who is brilliant and makes me feel great but he'd moved away and as Buds wouldn't load :rolleyes: we've not been able to get to him but that's going to change now!

Hiya, I enjoyed your report too, FWIW I felt a bit daft because we finished on 90cm, and this is a horse that has been used to jumping 1.37m chase fences and little old me who has jumped 1.20m tracks but as long as you feel more confident and inspired that is all that matters. My lesson was a huge huge positive for me and my horse.

Leg_end

Visit site
I'm wishing that I had done this clinic now as well after reading so many good reports :).

Well done you on a good day, lovely boy you have there :). I wouldn't worry about falling off, tbh I don't know if there is many people who would have stayed on a leap like that! At least you know he has scope lol.

Well I know Louise will be coming back so you can do the next one :)

Thank you, he is lovely and yes, has oodles of scope ;)

Hiya, I enjoyed your report too, FWIW I felt a bit daft because we finished on 90cm, and this is a horse that has been used to jumping 1.37m chase fences and little old me who has jumped 1.20m tracks but as long as you feel more confident and inspired that is all that matters. My lesson was a huge huge positive for me and my horse.

And that's the most important thing :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
The first pic is lovely - and other than the fall sounds like a good lesson, first time out etc. The second still is pretty epic in its own way - flying! - at least you didn't catch your (lovely, honest!) horse in the mouth :D

NR99

Visit site
Yes Chiltern are fab, IMHO the friendliest in our area. We're doing RC dressage area comp soon and CHiltern are hosting. If you want to come over I'll introduce you to some of them :)

Leg_end

Visit site
Very well done getting back on - I absolutely LOVE your horse!

Louise mentioned that she might be back in later summer (pretty pretty please with cherries on top :) ) so if she comes our yard again I hope to see you then!

Aww thank you, he is a dude :)

I will definitely be there! Louise promised me a private session so I'll be taking her up on that :D

emmab13

Visit site
Another one to say well done for not catching him in the mouth, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the second picture. I have the exact same problem btw, about being scared of what other people think!