A different kind of "how much"

pixie

Visit site
The horse that I've started riding (it'll be about once or twice a week) is out all year round, eating grass only and barefoot; so fairly cheap to run. How much do you think I should be giving the owner each week for being able to ride it?

pixie

Visit site
lol, I wish! I think you can only start charging when you're a good rider!
wink.gif

Admittedly I've never been asked for money before, but I know how expensive horses can be to keep in this country so I think its fair for her to be asking for some financial contribution - Especially considering I'd be paying about 20 quid a go (plus bus fair) if I wanted a group lesson at a riding school (which seem to be not very good around here from what I've seen so far)

TequilaMist

Visit site
Depends if you have taken it on part loan/share basis.If she has asked you specifically to ride it for whatever reason agree she should pay you.

pixie

Visit site
Well, I put an ad up on the internet saying that I was looking for a horse to ride. Honestly, I'm just grateful to be able to ride such a lovely horse, the last few times I rode 3 years ago really knocked my confidence, especially after being bolted with and thrown off - the horse that I've started riding is making me feel so comfortable and confident again; I that contributing to his keep is the least I can do.

eekmon

Visit site
Well if you are enjoying the ride and the owner appreciates you a contribution of maybe £10 a week sounds reasonable for the use of her horse, depends on which way you want to look at it. I have a part loaner who contributes to my horses keep, it works both ways for us, she gets a horse 3 days a week to herself and I get my horse excersised and looked after for me as I no longer can do 7 days a week! It works very well for us
smile.gif