A 'dunking' bucket for hay?

SWE

Visit site
When he's out on the yard my horse loves dunking his hay in a water bucket but I'm worried he will make and absolute mess in the stable if I give him one!

Does anyone give their horse one and do you have any tips on keeping the water in the bucket rather than across the stable?!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Funnily enough I gave my dunker a special dunking bucket while we had all the snow and the pipes were frozen... then I only had to replace that water because she kept her drinking water clean! :D

I was contemplating doing it long term because her water bucket is normally absolutely rank by the morning. I had given her a mid sized trug of water right next to her haycube and the enormous bucket of clean drinking water in the opposite corner. She seemed to get the idea ;)

dunno if you will be able to see this but this is her usual drinking bucket and you can see why it gets manky :p I pulled it further away from the hay and put the little trug between the 2. Not too much dripping :)

https://www.facebook.com/rachel.jordan.104/videos/1816397748371727/

Last edited:

Louby

Visit site
Mine has a dunking bucket :) Hers is next to her water bucket, she seems to know to dunk in one and drink from the other lol

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
One of mine has a dunking bucket. She also has an automatic drinker and only ever drinks properly out of that.

She has it in a tyre to stop her throwing the bucket around, and has it sat on top of a full wall to wall bed. Doesn't seem to make the bed wet

Last edited:

SWE

Visit site
Thanks all! He likes to splash it about in there too so worried the water will fly out the bucket all over his stable!

I'm thinking of getting something a bit taller so there is a bigger gap between the top of the bucket and the water!

Funny creatures aren't they!?

milliepops

Visit site
I think mine is less messy because she basically eats off the floor so there's less dripping across the stable . It starts off in the haycube but she unpacks that quickly and then the hay and bucket are basically adjacent :D

mytwofriends

Visit site
My oldie loved to dunk. And as he used to crib - or rather lick (!) the top of his stable door, there’d always be little bits of hay stuck to it, or frozen on!

He had a giant trug for the purpose and he had such fun. Like a poster above said, he seemed to know which bucket was for drinking and which was for dunking. He didn’t make much mess really.

It’s one of the things I’ve kept back as a sentimental item since losing him last year.

hobo

Visit site
Love the video's of the dunker's Mine have never done that but you can see they really do like to wet their hay.

Embo

Visit site
I've known a couple that needed a dunk bucket!

You could always give a small dunk bucket inside a bigger empty one, that would help to catch at least some of the splashes and drips? Just an idea.

milliepops

Visit site
Love the video's of the dunker's Mine have never done that but you can see they really do like to wet their hay.

Yep! Mine doesn't bother to dunk if i wet all of her hay for her, but then she doesn't always finish it up so I end up throwing loads away. If she self dunks then it's more economical :D