a few questions....

crazypony

Visit site
Hi, How many of you keep your horses alone? Would it be fair to keep my boy in a field on his own ? (I'm thinking on changing yards). He's never been on his own before.

Secondly, having never used haylage, what is the price difference between that and hay? And nutritional difference? I want the least calories!! I will have no hay storage at the yard, so need to keep it at home, so I need something well wrapped, hence why I thought of using haylage. And what's the best way to feed in a field without getting poached areas??

Thirdly, I will be totally responsible for my field, so how is the best way to stop it getting boggy? He is a very good doer, and will be out 24/7 in about 5 acres. My thinking is if I don't divide it it won't get boggy, yet he'll gorge out on grass, which I don't want!
Sorry for all the questions, I am nervous about 'going it alone' having always had the luxury of a big yard.

ginniebee

Visit site
Id say, that horses are herd animals and do need the security of other horses, having said that its not always practicle. You could always put sheep or goats in with your horse, or possibly find an elderly companion.

Haylege is more expensive than hay, yes it is wrapped but does have an incredibly short "shelf life" so youd be better going for smaller bales. It is more nutritious than hay, but does contain more water so youd probably have to feed more. Im sure there are folks on here who are far more "nutritionaly expert" than me!!!!! 5 acres is quite a large area for one horse, couldnt you advertise for someone to share it with you, that way youd split the costs and your horse wouldnt be alone? Good luck!!!!!

Happytohack

Visit site
Haylage costs approx £5.00 for a small bale as opposed to hay which round here costs £2.50 for good quality meadow hay. If you want to keep the calorie content of haylage down, you need to go for a high fibre mix, not one which is ryegrass. A small bale of haylage weighs approx 20 kg and needs to be used within 4-5 days after opening. Weight for weight you need to feed more haylage than hay as it has a higher water content.
Regards the field, 5 acres is too much grass for one horse - you would need to divide it to manage it correctly. Not to mention poo-picking 5 acres every day is quite a bit of walking! Other things to think of are making sure the fencing is safe, the water supply is good and the field is secure. Some horses seem to cope with being on their own, but they are herd animals and IMO need some companionship.

miller

Visit site
We pay £15 for a bale of haylage that lasts our 2 a week - works out cheaper than hay for us and it's lovely stuff (also saves on soaking it)

Personally I wouldn't keep a horse alone as it's a herd animal but agree with above re goats/sheep/companion

sorona

Visit site
I wouldnt personally keep a horse alone but sometimes keeping 2 horses causes problems in itself as they can become dependant and fret while they are left on their own while the other is being ridden. I think the company of an animal, whether it be a horse, goat, donkey, cow, etc is preferential to nothing at all unless there is company from other horses in nextdoor fields but I think mutual grooming is an important part of a horses life and they are herd animals. With 5 acres, you will have plenty of grazing for another little one or two anyway.
You could strip graze the field towards the direction away from the gate so your horse is not always running up and down the fence line waiting for your arrival and churning the fence line up and have the gate area fenced off so that doesnt so muddy either or you can put hardcore down at gateways too.