A Foaly Update! :D

Flash_28

Visit site
Around this time last year I remember updating some of you about my newly rescued foal from Ireland by the name of Axel Foaly. A few of you have added him as a friend on Facebook and he's been keeping you all entertained with his exploits! Someone should have reminded me how much hard work a cheeky foal can be! He’s been with me for over a year now and his legs appear to be fine now the condition is on and *touch wood* we have had no more locking of his hind legs and has been sound. Still working on getting rid of his sarcoid and about to start a new treatment as the Sarc-Ex has stopped working. After initial problems struggling to get him to eat and then get weight on I changed to a Baileys diet after some recommendation from this section and I can only thank you for pointing me in the right direction as the change in him was almost instant! He’s still on his Baileys and slowly growing. He’s now 14.1 and ¾ on his bum and 14.1 and a smidge on his withers after turning up as 13.1 (just!) at just turned 1. He turned 2 in April. We’ve had a few problems along the way but seem to be getting there :) Oh and he has an official registered name too now!

Thought some of you would like to see how Foaly is now. I’ve put on comparison photos just in case some have never heard of Foaly before.

Before-May2010 After-26/06/2011
FoalyHeadCompare.jpg

Before-May 2010 after his 1st groom After-26/06/2011
FoalyBodyCompare.jpg

Last edited:

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
What a fantastic difference. I seem to remember telling you it would be a very slow but steadily improvement, bet you didn't realise how long I meant!
He really does look super and the most glorious colour, what are your plans now for him; do keep the updates coming.

Flash_28

Visit site
What a fantastic difference. I seem to remember telling you it would be a very slow but steadily improvement, bet you didn't realise how long I meant!
He really does look super and the most glorious colour, what are your plans now for him; do keep the updates coming.

Thank you Maesfen! :) I fear he will slowly turn grey and lose his unique colour and he still has his white spots! It's really nice to hear positive comments :)

There have been times that I have been worried at how slow his progress has been but then I just have to remember that I can't just stick buckets and buckets of food in front of him. Still worry sometimes I may be overfeeding him or feeding him too little. Think Baileys are sick of me! :)

Hopefully the plan in the future is maybe get him to a local show here and there this year to get used to getting out and maybe have a little go. Then I'll prob break him late due to his poor start and not a great deal of growth occuring with the goal of maybe eventing. That's the plan, if it doesn't go that way then I'm sure we'll find something. :)

Thanks again x

Flash_28

Visit site
Thank you Millhouse! :) Temperament is getting there too, had a small hiccup come spring and the testicles dropped. Haven't been able to get him gelded due to the weather and him hiding them. But he's much more settled now.

Flash_28

Visit site
Thank you Tempi. When you put the 2 photos together you begin to realise just how far he has come :) x

mellissa

Visit site
He is gorgeous!!!

I am so moved by the transformation I am now friends with him on facebook.

Do you know his breeding? He is a quality horse and it breaks my heart to think people are so cruel.

X

Flash_28

Visit site
He is gorgeous!!!

I am so moved by the transformation I am now friends with him on facebook.

Do you know his breeding? He is a quality horse and it breaks my heart to think people are so cruel.

X

Thank you Mellissa! And Foaly will be glad to have yet another follower and friend on his FB. :) He already rubs it in that he has more friends on FB than i do! ha ha

Yes I know his breeding on both sides :) He is an ISH by Cruisings Ambassador (by Cruising out of Bude) and his mum was a full TB bred to race. I managed (with the help of a friend of Foaly's) to trace his breeding back 1 of the 3 horses that all TBs descended from on his dam's side. Pretty sure it was Byerley Turk who was foaled in 1675. Made my efforts back to the 1800's very pathetic indeed!

Thank you again for your kind words :) x

gadetra

Visit site
Great to see how foaly's getting on. I remember when you posted about him first and have always been curious about him. He looks fantastic-a completly different animal congrats on that. re his colou, sure that's only the cruising coming out in him ;)
Well done and keep us updated :)

Flash_28

Visit site
Great to see how foaly's getting on. I remember when you posted about him first and have always been curious about him. He looks fantastic-a completly different animal congrats on that. re his colou, sure that's only the cruising coming out in him ;)
Well done and keep us updated :)

Thank you Gadetra. Sorry that I left you curious about Foaly and his progress. I don't very often come onto Horse and Hound but think I should try to make more effort to do it! Thank you so much for your kind comments :) I do love his colour and learnt to live with it as I think he will grey out over the years but I don't want him to now as I love his colouring in summer! hehe x

I have a few new photos of him. He entered his 1st photo show on FB the other week and out of a class with a very high standard he managed to get 4th! Our 1st rosette and that was using the comparision photo I put on at the start of this thread which is now a month old. For a new photo show he entered I plaited him up but didn't manage to get a great photo as my dad was struggling with my camera and then the batteries died :( But it was good practice for us both! Hope you enjoy x

Foalyrosette.jpg

Oops I accidently copied over the wrong image code and now forgotten my password to photobucket. Will have to add it later x

Last edited:

Flash_28

Visit site
A few more photos to update people on the Foaly and his road to recovery :)

Speedy Foaly
SpeedyFoaly.jpg

Foaly with a special rosette
Foalyrosette-1.jpg

Dressage Foaly
DressageFoaly.jpg

alfiesmum

Visit site
ha ha, dont worry he looks fabby and pretty sure your not as far behind as me lol, just beginning and found out i need a vetting on my little colt! now that will be interesting as he has not really been handled, cant catch him and he can kick lol oh and desperately needing his feet done, and did i mention this is all to happen by monday lmao, feel free to help :) p.s. only had him a week, already touching 14hh and only 6 months lol x

gadetra

Visit site
Aww he's a dote. I can't believe how far he's come!
You have done him well-he looks very evenly grown. Some of mine look like camels at his age!
Best of luck with him, can't wait to see what he does under saddle. He is a lovely light eventing type.
You never know he might keep his colour until he's 8 or 9-Crossing all extremities of course!
well done he's a dote! :D

Flash_28

Visit site
Aww he's a dote. I can't believe how far he's come!
You have done him well-he looks very evenly grown. Some of mine look like camels at his age!
Best of luck with him, can't wait to see what he does under saddle. He is a lovely light eventing type.
You never know he might keep his colour until he's 8 or 9-Crossing all extremities of course!
well done he's a dote! :D

Thank you so much! Sorry for my late reply but it's not too often I ever really come on here. Not much has happened since in Foaly world. He looks and feels taller when I stand next to him but then I measure him and he comes out the same height! Was shocked when I weigh taped him for his wormer though and found out he has more than doubled his bodyweight bless him!

Thank you! I'm hoping to back him a bit later due to him being behind others but have all my fingers and toes crossed that he will make a nice little eventer! Did make me smile to read your comment! :)

I'm hoping but with his winter coat he is very grey on his tummy and comparing him to last year he is really losing the bay on his bum. :(

Congratulations. You've done a great job with him and he looks really lovely :)

Awww thank you! Any comment like this does really make me feel proud of him.

Aww, he is stunning. :)

Thank you! He has a massive head to go with it! ;)

ha ha, dont worry he looks fabby and pretty sure your not as far behind as me lol, just beginning and found out i need a vetting on my little colt! now that will be interesting as he has not really been handled, cant catch him and he can kick lol oh and desperately needing his feet done, and did i mention this is all to happen by monday lmao, feel free to help :) p.s. only had him a week, already touching 14hh and only 6 months lol x

Oh no! How are you managing to get on with him now? Hope all has gone ok!

Last edited:

Flash_28

Visit site
Love him B…E…Autiful eyes. You should be really proud of all your hard work! X

Thank you! Am proud of the boy :) Very much looking forward to backing him! Itching to get started now! Next thing we need to do is clip him. His skin has turned very scabby and not too sure why :( Wonder if it is where he is a massive pain in the butt to bath that I haven't washed him down enough. Hoping that he will be a good lad but I shall soon find out! x