A hornet (?) is hounding my horse

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I don’t know what I can do to help!?
I got home about 2 hours ago to find him absolutely frantic and realised he was apparently being chased by what I think is a hornet.
I got him in once I’d caught him (I mean wild!) put a fly sheet, mask and huge amounts of spray on but the bloody thing is still obsessed with him. I can’t move him as he’s keeping a laminitic who can’t be left company.
At the moment I think he’s tired out so stood kicking and convulsing making desperate hiccup sounds!
What can I do? Why is the little sod so intent on attacking him 😳😩

vhf

Visit site
A hornet or a bot fly???
I have very often seen them driven to distraction by bots. Not a lot helps other than killing the thing.

vhf

Visit site
The only good thing is that there's normally only one or two at a time, so you can kill the blighters if you're persistent and can keep the horse still.

Shay

Visit site
Warble / bot flies look very different from a hornet. All are horrible. Hopefully you can get to it and kill it. Watch for reaction colic - shaking and hiccuping doesn't sound good!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
200px-Cephenemya_stimulator.jpg

Like this? Bot fly.. didn't think a hornet would chase? Not a fly expert though - they're all vile!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I suspect that you saw one of these.
large-horse-fly.jpg

I managed to squash one the other day that was harassing my chestnut mare. We have a lot of Hornets here and they have never bothered with the horses. The Hornets are brighter yellow and much slimmer, they really look like a giant Wasp and this giant horse fly was darker and much fatter and didn't have such an obvious 'waist'.

dominobrown

Visit site
I suspect that you saw one of these.
large-horse-fly.jpg

I managed to squash one the other day that was harassing my chestnut mare. We have a lot of Hornets here and they have never bothered with the horses. The Hornets are brighter yellow and much slimmer, they really look like a giant Wasp and this giant horse fly was darker and much fatter and didn't have such an obvious 'waist'.

We call them “horse bees”, and are as above. Hornets etc shouldn’t really have an interest in a horse but the critters as posted above will bite, much like a horse fly. Obviously very painful and will send horses mental. Hard to squish as they a massive!
Apparently you only find them in very good summers here, common in Canada etc

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It was like a bumble bee but the yellow less bright and the body smeller. It appeared to have prongs off the back (2 of!)
It was evil, I couldn’t swat or or anything and it followed wherever I tried to take him. I was actually a bit worried he’d injure himself or as above colic.
He’s a bit sore and stiff this evening, he’s old and retired. Tearing round bucking and rearing isn’t a normal day for him. Hoping he’ll feel better tomorrow

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It was like a bumble bee but the yellow less bright and the body smeller. It appeared to have prongs off the back (2 of!)
It was evil, I couldn’t swat or or anything and it followed wherever I tried to take him. I was actually a bit worried he’d injure himself or as above colic.
He’s a bit sore and stiff this evening, he’s old and retired. Tearing round bucking and rearing isn’t a normal day for him. Hoping he’ll feel better tomorrow

Poor old lad! I hope he is feeling a bit better tomorrow.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Try a flame thrower next time :D
I’ll give that a try 😂 not that I was a huge help but I’m a bit worried it will be back today! I’m at work all day so can’t do much about it.
He’s very sore and not particularly happy. I’m going to take him a few Bute back out in a minute.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
If it is a bot fly it hasn't got a sting so you can safely catch it in your hand and squash it. One of the few things I enjoy killing along with horseflies.
They don't live very long either, sole purpose is to lay eggs on suitable animals. They drive horses frantic. Thankfully we haven't seen any for years now but we used to be plagued by them.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
If it is a bot fly it hasn't got a sting so you can safely catch it in your hand and squash it. One of the few things I enjoy killing along with horseflies.
They don't live very long either, sole purpose is to lay eggs on suitable animals. They drive horses frantic. Thankfully we haven't seen any for years now but we used to be plagued by them.
Wonder why they are so incredibly upset by them if they don’t sting?!
I had to hold a horse at work today because it kept rearing for the farrier. I thought it weird but went in and held him then realised a very similar bug flying round him.

paddy555

Visit site
Wonder why they are so incredibly upset by them if they don’t sting?!
I had to hold a horse at work today because it kept rearing for the farrier. I thought it weird but went in and held him then realised a very similar bug flying round him.

mine get terribly upset and we have one field that is always bad for them at this time of the year. Fly rugs and masks make no difference, the horses just go frantic and have to be brought in. I have noticed that as soon as you walk them through the stable door the bot flies stop and go away. We are plagued with them every summer.
Best way to kill them is to tie horse up and then follow the fly around and smack your hands together as if you are clapping. This gives you a large killing area and if it is a bot fly your palms will be covered in yellow eggs. The bot flies come back into the field daily, usually early afternoon onwards and they must be hell for old horses with arthritis/laminitics who find it difficult to move quickly. I can quite see that a stressed horse being chased by one could get into a stress colic situation. If this really is a bot fly it could well be a daily occurrence I am am afraid.