A Horsebox/Transporter Question...

vallin

Visit site
So, how likely is it that a transporter (fully registered) will knowing put their box over the limit? I've been inquiring about transport for two biggish horses (16.1, 17.1) and multiple transporters have come back to me to say they'll happily transport them in 3.5t boxes. Thoughts?

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Some of these 3.5 ton boxes are actually graded 5 tons , I wonder if that is an error on their part? As I once enquiried about hiring someone's horsebox as it looked like your typical 3.5 ton lorry so thought i could drive it on a car licence.But it was actually graded 5 ton so that it could carry 2 horses, despite being the typical ice cream can size.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
There *are* 3.5 tonne boxes with a 1.3 tonne payload (Eastern Horsebox Hire have one...) which is built by BOSS horseboxes. My 16.3hh horse weighs 540kg (on weighbridge last week) although he is a TB so not the heaviest for his height. I could quite feasibly travel 2x his weight on the BOSS horsebox without coming anywhere near the max payload, especially if I were not travelling tack and equipment with the horse and there was just the 1 driver (transporter).

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
1.3t payload would not carry two large horses unless carrying next to no fuel at all only the driver and no tack etc! Plus even if under weight it could very realistically result in the rear axle being over laden and so equally illegal!

vallin

Visit site
It would only being taking the driver and 1/2 tank fuel. What do you mean by the rear axle being over laden? (sorry, not clued up on this stuff!)

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
There are max weights allowed for each axle as essentially weight must be evenly loaded across the front and back wheels. Think of a bike you load both wheels equally by sitting in the middle. If a friend tried to sit behind you the bike would tip up as the back wheel would be overloaded.

Horses stand with most of their weight on the front feet so if rear facing lorry which is twin axel there is a strong chance if borderline under weight that the rear axel will be over loaded and therefore illegal in just the same way if just too much weight!

Horsemad12

Visit site
My lorry has just less than 1.2t payload.

I recently saw a company advertising the same lorry for hire for 2 x 16.2hh horses on facebook. I was soooooooo tempted to post and ask how they achieved this!!!!1

If you are caught then I suspect it is your lisence at risk not theirs.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Some of these 3.5 ton boxes are actually graded 5 tons , I wonder if that is an error on their part? As I once enquiried about hiring someone's horsebox as it looked like your typical 3.5 ton lorry so thought i could drive it on a car licence.But it was actually graded 5 ton so that it could carry 2 horses, despite being the typical ice cream can size.

You can get a 3.5t uprated, never done it but a friend did, think hers is now a 5t. Something to do with stronger springs and a lot of paperwork from VOSA!