A how much (sorry!)

Annagain

Visit site
I'm hopefully going to see a horse this weekend. Just want to gauge whether the asking price is about right in the current market.

Riding club allrounder, 14 years old, 16hh cob. Does everything nicely but to no great standard. Hacks well, good in traffic, hunted and done fun rides etc. Low mileage and clean vet history. Sold with full wardrobe including quality saddle.

What would you expect to pay?

SEL

Visit site
I've seen a 6yo cob mare with similar history recently (south east) for £10,500 wardrobe and saddle inc

Has hunted 2 seasons, fun rides, solid hack etc. I think around 15.2 but hopefully that gives you some idea.

Nicnac

Visit site
Having seen a 4 year old pony up for £17k recently albeit with a rider who is a) very good, b) has a strong S.M. presence but c) publicly bought this pony as a project about a year ago, I'd say about £7-8k + tack.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
I've seen a 6yo cob mare with similar history recently (south east) for £10,500 wardrobe and saddle inc

Has hunted 2 seasons, fun rides, solid hack etc. I think around 15.2 but hopefully that gives you some idea.

Thanks. Do you think a 14 yr old would be worth more due to experience or less due to age or does each balance the other out?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I would say £6-8k too assuming clean vet history and no unexplained gaps in work.
I would think the age thing balances out the experience.

Abacus

Visit site
A while ago I'd have said £4k if sound, maybe more to include wardrobe. Now, it could be anything up to about 8 or even more. I did a quick Horsequest search (quiet workday!) and found a couple of comparables:

Ref #: 280226
Ref #: 280584
Ref #: 280157

chaps89

Visit site
I don’t think 14 is too old that you’d start seeing the price drop. Certainly someone on here posted recently about their 16 year old and no one suggested lowering the price because of the ponies age.
It might make a difference how hard a life the horse has had and the quality of the work - regular work by a well balanced knowledgable rider who works the horse correctly vs someone bumbling around a couple of times a week vs someone hunting hard and out competing all summer would all influence longevity and therefore price for me.
Tack included depends on quality and how well it fits as to whether it should affect price imo.
Assuming he’s a nice straightforwards sort and tack is reasonable I’d suspect around £10k

Last edited:

McFluff

Visit site
£8-10k - especially if he’s nice to ride, injury free, vice free and gives you the lovely safe can-do feeling. Towards the higher end if his colour is desirable and if the tack is not only quality, but actually fits him well.
A low mileage, not over produced, 14 yo should have (as far as you can say) many years left in him.
good luck

Annagain

Visit site
Thanks, they're asking £11k, which I thought seemed a bit high even in this market. Part of me just thinks stuff it, pay it if he's right, life's too short and part of me is horrified!
I turned down seeing a 5yr old (apparently very sensible) cob as he was very inexperienced and they wanted £12k (with no tack) but this feels different. Ideally he'd be 10 (years old not k, but k too :D) but I'd rather one a bit older than a bit younger.

HelenBack

Visit site
I was going to guess at 10k based on the fact that he sounds like an all round nice person and easy to do and you could easily pay 2k plus just for the tack and wardrobe.

I went shopping recently and although I didn't see many horses I was pretty shocked at the prices people would ask and some of the cr*p that was on offer. A lot of sellers seems to forget to mention things that I specifically asked about, like sarcoids or rubbish feet. I found it all quite stressful and disheartening. I think if he's decent and you like him I'd just buy him and have done with it!

SEL

Visit site
Thanks. Do you think a 14 yr old would be worth more due to experience or less due to age or does each balance the other out?

I think people are looking less at age (unless its at either end of spectrum) and more about what the horse has done.

I think the price sounds about right - but yes, it is painful!! I ended up 'saving' a few £k by buying a 4yo but you can't hit the ground running when they're that young

black and brown

Visit site
If the saddle is a quality one and more importantly actually fits both the horse and you then I think this might help sway me. Having read some of the horror stories on here regarding saddles then having a horse who comes with a saddle ready to ride would save a lot of time and stress trying to sort one out. I know the horse is the main issue but saddles seem to be a problem area as well with some horses. Hope your viewing goes well.

Upthecreek

Visit site
I think £11k is a little steep. The horse would need to be perfect in every way for me to pay anywhere near that for a 14 year old cob and the tack and rugs would need to be very good quality, fit well and be in really good condition. Even then I wouldn’t want to pay more than £9k. That said, it’s still a crazy market so if that price is comparable to others you’ve looked at perhaps that’s what you’ll have to pay. 14 is by no means old but if you needed to sell on in 2 or 3 years you would lose a lot of money.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I'm not sure the market is that crazy anymore. People are not yet dropping prices but horses are not selling nearly as easily. I have 2 friends selling nice, straightfoward horses and getting a lot of enquiries but not many genuine viewers. Plus people no longer seem to feel the need to panic buy the first half decent horse they see which I assume is because they are not ringing to find the horse had already gone before the ink was dry on the advert anymore, as they were until recently.

And I think that sounds steep, even given the market.

Lamehorses

Visit site
I think £11 is a bit steep. The market has definitely slowed, my friend is struggling to sell a 10yr old 15.2, decent sort.
The horse you describe I'd have pitched around £7k + tack