A how much??????

jo1

hotmail.co.uk
Sorry - a genuine how much here.

At my riding school there is a very nice 4 year old bay mare. 16.2hh not too sure of breeding. They bought here with another one but this one isnt going to work out in a riding school so I kow they are looking at selling her.
She wont canter under saddle, wont work out of a ride, doesnt listen to leg aids, pulls like a mac truck and naps when she doesnt want to do something!!!!!

I know i might seem mad but if I can get her cheap then it is a good possibility that my nana will 'lend' me some money. I know its going to be a lot of hard work to get her working properly but my mum used to break horses as a living so I have a lot of experianced help. My mum has said not more than £800/£900 due to the level of work required but as she has been out of it for 10 years I though i would try you guys out as well.

Thank you

ihatework

Visit site
Your Mum sounds very sensible.
Depending on the breeding and conformation I might be tempted to go up to £1200

Claireg9

Visit site
yeah defo no more than £1000. Even if the breeding is amazing it doesnt take from the fact this horse needs alot of work. But also she is worth as much as you are prepared to pay, if you like her that much then go above your price budget!

katelarge

Visit site
I think your mum's pricing is about right. BTW I would be tempted if you do buy her to turn her away for quite some time.

DON'T pay over the odds for her, I know you love her but be honest, she is an un co-operative, poorly educated youngster with a lot of bad habits. I'm not saying she can't be turned around, but as well as time it might take a lot of veterinary work. Which means money. What if you find she has an issue with her back? Even keeping on top of teeth rasping and farriery will cost you money.

If you are really strapped for cash then you could always look for a horse to loan, that will come with no problems from day one. Remember the saying "horses are a very expensive way to be miserable". I'd be really wary of spending any money on what is a quite daunting project horse. Sorry! But let us know what you decide and good luck!

jo1

hotmail.co.uk
thanks for all the advice.

Money isnt really an issue here - like I said im going to tap my nana and my mum will help out as well - kinda like a joint project.

Shes already on about longreining and lunging and even about changing her bridle to a hackamore to try and get her to stop pulling.

Seriously she really pulls - with her head, neck and shoulders. If you havent got good balance she will pull you right out of the saddle.!!!!

Im going to the stables on tuesday night so will try and turn the conversation around to her!!!