A.I or Natural

ljubb

Visit site
I am considering putting my mare in foal. I have only ever dealt with sending them to stud.

The stallion I am interested only does A.I. Can anyone fill me in on the process required and the additional costs invloved over and above the stud fee.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
My mare was initialy AI'd (didn't work we had to go au natural).

My costs were:

Stud Fee
Collection of Semen Costs
Shipping Costs
Vet Package (scans and insemination - as many times as needed).

My vet is a highly experienced AI practitioner - so no problem using him. However, if the stud is near you you'd obviously be better using their technician.

Which stallion are you thinking of using??

ljubb

Visit site
An ID called Cool Diamond Star - if you google him a horse deals site will come up.

He hasnt got much form but after speaking to the stud he was placed in the wrong stud who didn't get him out and about or covering correctly and he got confused hence why it is A.I only. Not really botherd about form would rather look and seee for myself.

He has got one foal due this year.

He is based in Leicester but is in Ireland with a show jumper at the mo and has just come back from Barcelona competing. I am going to go and view him when he is home.

I have a TB mare who cam of the tracks in August and is now going really well under saddle so it would be easy to do too much too soon so want to give her some time to enjoy - ideally want and event type foal.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes, would love to see him in the flesh - certainly the photo's that I have just looked at weren't the best quality.

How exciting. I'd love to be planning another covering......

MillionDollar

Visit site
I have 2 mares that are in-foal from AI. My costs were-

Stud fee

£400.00 each = £800

Livery fees

£5.00 per day + VAT each = £587.50

Vet Fees

£201.70
£87.96
£148.36
£96.00 = £534.20

Transport fees

£40.00 per journey = £120.00

The stud were very very kind to me on livery fees it should have been £1,200! Because 1 mare did not get in-foal (we're going to try natural this year), 1 mare got in-foal, then re-absorbed, then did not take and then finally got in-foal, 1 mare got in-foal first time only for it to be twins, luckily a successful pinching was carried out. So i had 2 mares there for 3 months.

So total so far for 2 unborn foals - £2041.70

But im hoping it will be worth it!!!

squirtlysmum

Visit site
My mare was AI'd at home and took first time but it was an incredibly expensive option. This was when we had the Foot and mouth problem and I was a livery on a dairy farm so poor old vet had to carry scanning equipment for miles and disinfect too. I was lucky as AI can be hit and miss and it can make a huge difference if sperm is frozen, fresh or chilled, how your mare is, whether she's had infections, other sprogs and how good your vet is at the insemination bit.
Also AI can cause twins and when one folicle is pinched off often the other dies too, so lots of risk really.
Obviously studs know exactly what they are doing but I didn't and couldn't send my girl away.