A little advice please...

Sarah1

Visit site
...I need your help peeps!
My horse has been out of work for about 3 months and I've just been long-reining him. Everything was fine and we were bonding really well, our confidence in each other was really growing.
Anyway for the last 2 weeks or so my boy has been grumpy! He's fine, I've kept a close eye on him for signs that somethings physically wrong (other than his back problem) and he's fine, he's eating fine, going to the toilet, drinking normal etc.
He just seems to be getting away from me and testing the boundaries - this is so unusual for him even though he is only a baby (he's 5).
He's just being obstructive, like he won't step back if I ask, he's pulling to get back to the field, he's stomping his feet as I'm trying to pick them out and he did kick out the other night although I'm not sure that wasn't at a fly! All these things are things he's never dreamed of doing in the past.
He's not getting a lot of feed - he has a handful of hi-fi light with carrots so he can have his supplements, grass and hay when he's in his stable.
He's not being naughty - all the things he's doing I can nip in the bud but I'm just so confused as to why all of a sudden he's started doing these little annoying things!
I'm spending plenty of time with him even though he can't be ridden but do you think I should crank it up a notch with the long reining so he's working more often?
He's brought in during the day while it's hot and he's not loving this TBH but he's been brought in for the last couple of months so I can't see that being the problem.
Is he just going through his 'terrible 2's' phase? Do I need to do more with him? How can I make him happier?
He's 16.3hh so I can't afford for him to get away with these things, I have to do something now.
I jokingly called him a spoilt brat and in all honesty that's not far off the mark with how he's behaving at the moment! I don't expect him to be perfect but these things are so out of character?!
Sorry for babbling on for so long!

katiejaye

Visit site
Hiya, what you're describing sounds very similar to what I had with my boy when he was in and out of work due to his respiratory problems. I had the vet check him our fully and he concluded that he was slightly depressed and hormonal (as he was gelded late they suspected he was slightly riggy). Some horses just don't cope with being out of work and mentally stimulated for long periods of time. Louis became grumpy, possesive of his space and things and bolshy.
I was advised to try and keep him entertained as much as possible and to be stricter with him so he ws aware of his boundaries. Once he came back into work he changed back to the sweet boy he was before.
grin.gif

Sarah1

Visit site
Thanks! I think you might be right as Bailey does love his work and always seems a bit happier (maybe it's my imagination though?!) after we've been long-reining!
Think I'll try long reining him every night for 15 mins rather than every other night for 30 mins, see if that helps!
I do try to keep him entertained when he's in his stable - he has swedes, a salt lick, likits, carrots hidden in his hay etc. but I think that that may have contributed to him acting spoilt!
I'm the first person he's had that's just his and I think he's just got used to and is loving all the attention!

Sparklet

Visit site
I have always found that horses out of work tend to be a bit more difficult and bargy, getting worse the longer the rest goes on. I think you probably need to stamp your authority a bit and would be best doing this in the long reins. Expect instant obedience when long reining him - snappy transitions etc. He just needs to be reminded who is in charge.

SillyMare

Visit site
Yes, obedience issue would be my first thought too. 5 year-olds are the horsey equivalent of teenagers - they ALL test the boundries occasionally.

Make sure you are completely black and white with him, if you ask him to do something make sure your instructions are really clear and make sure he does it immediately with no discussion.

Like teenagers if they detect un-certaincy from you then they will walk all over you (metaphorically of course).

I'm sure you can relate to it yourself, the best teachers when you were at school were those that were confident, assertive and clear in their instructions, not necessarily those that were the nicest or those that were the harshest.

Sarah1

Visit site
That's the other reason it's so confusing - I'm am always black and white with Bailey, he knows exactly what I expect when I ask and I don't mind putting him right if he forgets!
I don't ever shout at him or smack him as that just seems to make him worse but I am very firm with him if he's being awkward.
I think it may be a lack of work rather than a lack of discipline.
I've had him since January and the last 2 weeks are the only time he's been like this - it's just so out of character for him!
I think rather than him knowing he has a job to do he thinks he's at Butlins!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
How long have you been long reigning him for???

To be honest he just sounds bored. Is there a reason you can't ride him?

Sarah1

Visit site
He has a back problem and is going to AHT on 9 August to see if they can sort it out!
I've been long reining him for about 2-3 months now and I'm limited as he can only do 20-30 mins every other day (which I will change to 15 mins every day) and we can only work in straight lines, in walk.
I have tried taking him out along different tracks/fields so it's a bit different and we've just recently started doing a little hill work on them. I have done a very small amount of trotting work but only the odd few strides to break it up a bit for him!
I'm sure he is bored but I don't know what else I can do for him at the moment?!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

I'd be tempted to leave him now then. He really does sound bored to me, and if he's going to AHT on 9th August, you could rest him until then. If he has a back problem, you don't want him having a woopsie through a temper tantrum, and doing more damage.

Sarah1

Visit site
I just feel the less he's doing the worse he'll get!
He doesn't put a foot wrong on the end of those long reins though so I don't think he'd kick off.
Maybe I should just live with it til he's been to Newmarket?!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Sorry, misunderstood. I thought he was being cranky when being long reigned. Apologies.

Keep doing what you're doing then - and put the rest down to the weather and lack of manners!!

Sorry to be so useless
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Sarah1

Visit site
Sorry, don't think I explained properly - I never do!
He's just being a pain on the ground when grooming/leading him - it's not bad it's just annoying and it wants stopping!
It's the change in his behaviour, for no apparent reason, I'm finding most difficult to explain!
I think he's maybe just seeing how far he can go before I get him in line - will have to be strict and just long rein every night as he appears to be happier after a little work!
I just don't like to think that he's bored/unhappy!

horsesrock

New User
Visit site
how long does he go in field for?? is ther any reason you can't long rein him for longer than 15 mins??

I mean if he's free to go gallop round field surly a controlled walk around different tracks won't hurt? espec long reining??

x

Sarah1

Visit site
He's out 24/7 unless it's really hot then he comes in stable for the day.
I've been told by my vet and the physio to only long rein him for 20-30 mins every other day but decided to make it 15 mins every day to help him stop being bored.
We do go in different fields and tracks and as I said we've started doing some hill work.

Sarah1

Visit site
Update: Went last night to give him his supplements and check him over, pick his feet out etc. Got him in from field and...he was as good as gold! He did everything I asked, when I asked and was back to his old self! How bizarre is he?!